Best clock

Dr. B

Nov 1, 2019
I have been using an Esoteric atomic clock to drive a dCS system since Robert Harley raved about it in 2010. When shortly after i upgraded to Vivaldi, I kept the Esoteric. After i read the review of a Vivaldi system being improved by a Cybershaft 10 MHz clock, I went on a mission. I ended up selling the Esoteric and getting a Japanese clock (sound Warrior) recommended by the clock genius at Cybershaft controlled by his OP21.
My question is, is there a different third party clock generator that would be superior to the Sound Warrior? I'm convinced the OP21 is king of the 10MHz.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have been using an Esoteric atomic clock to drive a dCS system since Robert Harley raved about it in 2010. When shortly after i upgraded to Vivaldi, I kept the Esoteric. After i read the review of a Vivaldi system being improved by a Cybershaft 10 MHz clock, I went on a mission. I ended up selling the Esoteric and getting a Japanese clock (sound Warrior) recommended by the clock genius at Cybershaft controlled by his OP21.
My question is, is there a different third party clock generator that would be superior to the Sound Warrior? I'm convinced the OP21 is king of the 10MHz.
Hello Dr B,
Thanks for your sharing.

Cybershaft op21 10M clock must be one of the three best audiophile 10M external clocks in the market.
But there are still 2 contenders : the Mutec tailor-made Ref10 op20 model and the CH Precision T1!
I am most interested in the latter and am trying to arrange a comparison between it and the Cyberahaft.
DQRXVr8UMAEczsV~2.jpg

Is the Sound Warrior word clock generator you mentioned the SWD-CL10?
https://soundwarrior.jp/products/swd-cl10/
Please tell us more about it.
Is it sonically on par with or even better than the dCS Vivaldi Clock?
If yes, many Vivaldi dac owners can have a cheaper alternative!

Many thanks!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Very much agree....when you can find them, an OP21 grade Type2 or Type3 OCXO module-based clock with the right power supply and
distribution stage (for multiple 10 Mhz outputs) is the best I've heard. I've been using Rb and OCXO master and word clocks all the way
back to 2005-2006 and have tried quite a few (though not all clearly) and this level of performance from OCXO is where the music is
at for me. I'm not familiar with Sound Warrior products....If I heard correctly, there will be some news from Cybershaft in the near future as well
but not sure of what that is, only that there is something new in the off'ing. I'm watching the site and eager to see what will be announced.

Reactions: CKKeung

Dr. B

Nov 1, 2019
Hello Dr B,
Thanks for your sharing.

Cybershaft op21 10M clock must be one of the three best audiophile 10M external clocks in the market.
But there are still 2 contenders : the Mutec tailor-made Ref10 op20 model and the CH Precision T1!
I am most interested in the latter and am trying to arrange a comparison between it and the Cyberahaft.
View attachment 58471

Is the Sound Warrior word clock generator you mentioned the SWD-CL10?
https://soundwarrior.jp/products/swd-cl10/
Please tell us more about it.
Is it sonically on par with or even better than the dCS Vivaldi Clock?
If yes, many Vivaldi dac owners can have a cheaper alternative!

Many thanks!

Dr. B

Nov 1, 2019
Yes. I am using the SWD-CL10. I am laughing because I can't answer your question. I have never heard the Vivaldi clock in my system. I went from Esoteric atomic directly to the sound warrior.
Couldn't find a Vivaldi to try. Hasagawa-san said the specs on the sound warrior were superior so I went with that.

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some additional information and experience. I have a Vivaldi stack including the Clock in my speaker system. I added a Cybershaft OP21A to the stack, and I enjoy the sound quality. I am about to try an SRS Perf10, and here is why. There are apparently many different approaches to clocking. dCS employs a lower bandwidth, slower PLL approach in the Vivaldi Master Clock. This makes it efective at filtering out the generally larger amounts of short term jitter in an atomic clock, while gaining the benefits of its long-term stability. This is just me paraphrasing what dCS engineers share on their community forum. What I am learning is that there is no one best clock for every other reference and/or master clock. One needs to understand what the baseline approach is, and it's not necessarily all about the specs.

On a spec sheet, the OCXO Cybershaft appears more accurate, with lower phase noise, than the Vivaldi Master Clock, and so it should provide some benefit. In my system, it certainly sounds like an improvement, though it is more subtle than the addition of the Vivaldi Clock itself. Theoretically, though, the better long-term accuracy of the SRS Perf10 should provide an even greater benefit, especially since it has been built to also have excellent short term stability (i.e., not add any more short-term jitter that the Vivaldi Clock and DAC are required to filter out). SRS make their own rubidium oscillators, the same used by Esoteric in the Grandioso G1, I believe. We'll see how it goes. I am also trying to arrange loan of an Antelope 10MX to see whether it has any discernibly different SQ effect.

• Sad
Reactions: seant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing