Best and worst audio purchases in '13

Best: Exasound e20 mk3. 30 day free trial. It was a keeper! I can finally enjoy my digital now.
Worst: Modwright OPPO 105. Did not get to hear it first, and there is no trial period. You win some, you lose some.:(
Isn't Modwright also in the Seattle area?

Well, I love my two main purchases this year, a Modwright 105 ;) and Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers. I also bought some power cords, including 2 Shunyata Venoms, although I can't say I've noticed a difference from them; maybe I haven't tried hard enough yet.

Isn't Modwright also in the Seattle area?

They are about a 3 hour drive south of me. I thought about driving down to hear one first, but it would have been in an unfamiliar system. I did not ask if I could borrow one, but I doubt if they had an extra one to loan out at the time anyhow.

Best :WAVAC PRT-1 pre-amp, Stage 3 Cables
Worst : a few NOS tubes , that went wrong.

Best: Tuition at Berklee for my son. The ultimate audiophile moment is witnessing your child's dream come true!

Best: Tuition at Berklee for my son. The ultimate audiophile moment is witnessing your child's dream come true!

Super !!!

Best: completed the MIT cable line-up with more 50ic pairs, MA-X phono, and MA-X digital; Pass XP-25; modified all of them plus the Shunyata CX power cords as per details to come - timbral accuracy and articulation off the charts.

Best: completed the MIT cable line-up with more 50ic pairs, MA-X phono, and MA-X digital; Pass XP-25; modified all of them plus the Shunyata CX power cords as per details to come - timbral accuracy and articulation off the charts.
I hope next year's (?) upcoming speaker purchase ranks as a "best"!

Warning! These are not purchases but items submitted for review or showcase. Also, there is some voodoo recommended, which is unlike me.

Best the MSB platinum 4 plus with the UMT PLUS stack.

Worst comparing and now know how bad the other dac,s compared to the MSB .

Al. D

Edor may I ask what was disappointing about the femto 140 clock?

I bought my signature DAC used with standard clock and was very impressed (it handily beat my EMM Labs DAC2X). I bought the clock expecting a step change in performance, but found the improvement to be relatively minor (if that - I cannot vouch for being able to identify the clock upgrade in a double blind test), so not much return on substantial outlay.

Best: Alexia's and XP-30

Worst: Not enough quality time to enjoy them.

Happy Holidays!

May I ask what dac did you buy .. Signature non plus ?

I was actually in the market for a platinum plus. Then a signature showed up used at a good price (offered on the WBF forum though PM). Going the route of buying a used Signature and then upgrade the clock got me the Signature level DAC for just a tad more than new platinum. You could have gone the same route buying the used Signature plus with diamond PB that one of the esteemed members on this forum was trying to sell on audiogon a few weeks ago.

Really , I bought mine on used too. On the audiomarket website . For me used was the way to go. I did demo them forts though . And when I did hear how it sounded , the decision was easy. I have the UMT plus as well, the whole thing was under a year old. I guess I missed the boat there , Vince of msb is really a nice guy and has so much info about there products.

Really , I bought mine on used too. On the audiomarket website . For me used was the way to go. I did demo them forts though . And when I did hear how it sounded , the decision was easy. I have the UMT plus as well, the whole thing was under a year old. I guess I missed the boat there , Vince of msb is really a nice guy and has so much info about there products.

I see. I don't personally demo stuff if I have no intent of buying new, so I look out for used that can be resold I end up not wanting to keep it. The UMT plus has only been around for a few months. Are you sure you did not get the old UMT?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing