Back to Jadis?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
congrats!

Thanks Lloyd, I've been listening the system since 5 AM today, this amps deliver a very credible soundstage and midrange purity, there was some extra content in my records that were like hidden in some way.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd, I've been listening the system since 5 AM today, this amps deliver a very credible soundstage and midrange purity, there was some extra content in my records that were like hidden in some way.

Sounds like Christmas came very early this year! Congrats!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I placed a pair of Harmonix wooden footers at each amp, and bass reproduction is now more tight and fast, mids are cleaner and highs just remained the same - I have had this footers for quite a long time but it is under this setup that showed their benefits the most.

http://www.combak.net/feet&bases/FEET_and_BASES.html

hey Flez...great one. just to let you know, i copied and pasted this one and brought it across to the Stillpoints Ultra V & Wilson X1s thread which i started and which has received some coverage from members interested in such experiences as yours...hope that's ok...you may get questions over there!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have once tried two Jadis amps in my system - JA-80 Anniversary with the matching JP-80 Anniversary pre and JP-120. Two great, but also slightly different sounding amps (the KT-120 equipped JA-120 beeing more transparent and less 'Jadis like'). Unfortunately, none of them had enough grunt to drive the punishing load of Sasha.

JA-120:
jadisja120.jpg

JA-80:
jadis1.jpg

jadis2.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have once tried two Jadis amps in my system - JA-80 Anniversary with the matching JP-80 Anniversary pre (...) ]

I also tried both in the Aida's - they did not have power enough for them. But the JP-80 connected to the Dartzeel NH108 produced the more delicate, airy and holographic treble sounds I have listened in my system. As a good friend said - treble sounds seemed to fluctuate in cushions of air around the room!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is a good preamp, but I liked the Puccini direct slightly more. Not possible with your CD-8 :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have once tried two Jadis amps in my system - JA-80 Anniversary with the matching JP-80 Anniversary pre and JP-120. Two great, but also slightly different sounding amps (the KT-120 equipped JA-120 beeing more transparent and less 'Jadis like'). Unfortunately, none of them had enough grunt to drive the punishing load of Sasha.

JA-120:
View attachment 9158

JA-80:
View attachment 9159

View attachment 9160

I haven't heard the JA-80 Anniversary but its predecessor was a very nice sounding amp. The original JA-80s problem--and it appears the same with the new version--is that it has to be matched with the right speaker. My friend had it driving the top end of RS-1bs many years ago; sounded great but woefully underpowered. He ended up at that time using the cj Prem 5s to drive the Infinity panels (he now has the LP275Ms).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
A friend of mine, from whom I borrowed the JA/JP-80 combo, has Serblin Ktema speakers, which are much easier to drive than the Sasha. And before the Ktema, he used to have the SF Guarnieri Evolution. He has a small room and is not a headbanger, so the amp does the trick for him.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The local dealer has both the JA80 and matching pre anniversary editions, they look and sound terrific to my ears, he shoes them with TOTL Penaudio speakers with great success. My dedicated room is not that large and my speakers (Avalon Ascents) are in a near-field listening position, the JA50 drives them with no issues even for symphonic pieces.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Re Jadis amps, our local distributor then advised us users to remove the protective grills while listening, that is, if no children or pets roam around the amp area during the listening session. The grills run really hot on my JA 200s and removing them kinda dissipates the heat from the tubes more rather than soaking it all up in the cage. What surprised me was that the sound became more open, and more at ease without the grills. A few friends who did that reported sonic improvements too. But of course, to those with small kids and pets, that is not really an option. I have removed the cage from the JPL line stage and also the metal plate on my ARC amp too.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Re Jadis amps, our local distributor then advised us users to remove the protective grills while listening, that is, if no children or pets roam around the amp area during the listening session. The grills run really hot on my JA 200s and removing them kinda dissipates the heat from the tubes more rather than soaking it all up in the cage. What surprised me was that the sound became more open, and more at ease without the grills. A few friends who did that reported sonic improvements too. But of course, to those with small kids and pets, that is not really an option. I have removed the cage from the JPL line stage and also the metal plate on my ARC amp too.

Thanks Jadis, I will try that today - kids are older now and familiar with tubes :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You were right Jadis!..and the improvement is not subtle! Thanks...:D

that's great to hear, flez! and yes, it is not subtle. and i was told the tubes will last a bit longer bec they won't be that hot under the cage anymore. but the best thing is there is a sonic benefit. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I ran most of my tube amps sans cage. The only tube amp that I didn't run that way was the ARC VT-100 MKII and that was because it didn't have a cage, it had a top plate with 10,000 screws.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
One other thing (and based on the results obtained today...) do tube-ring-dampers work? - I have never tried them....

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One other thing (and based on the results obtained today...) do tube-ring-dampers work? - I have never tried them....

personally, i have to split hairs to find some improvements with these rings. but since arc supply them for free, i let them stay. but in my old arc amp, the rubber rings kinda melted and hardened into the tubes. since then, they have changed from the white rings into black rubber rings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
personally, i have to split hairs to find some improvements with these rings. but since arc supply them for free, i let them stay. but in my old arc amp, the rubber rings kinda melted and hardened into the tubes. since then, they have changed from the white rings into black rubber rings.

It will depend on tubes. In my experience 6922/ECC88 almost all the time need the dampers, 12AX7/ECC83 also improve with it. Most 6H30's do not need them, but in a few of them it makes a difference. I think ARC uses the double rings most of the time just in case they become necessary during tube life, as sometimes tubes become microphonic in their normal lifetime. My microphony tests are carried with an audio spectrometer and two different rubber mallets.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Fernando, my local dealer strongly suggested that I do not use tube ring dampers after he had a set melt on him and take out an amp. I trust this guys opinion as I have heard this from
several other a'philes as well. Better safe than sorry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing