B&W 800D DIY Speakers - you've got to see this!

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Impressive build. Can't help wondering how much cheaper it really would be compared to actually buying one, but I the building process is gratifying or the builder himself as well and the machines and skill to use them were available at no extra cost. (Opening the link to the build thread did not work on my ipad, so I could not read any info about that myself).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Impressive build. Can't help wondering how much cheaper it really would be compared to actually buying one, but I the building process is gratifying or the builder himself as well and the machines and skill to use them were available at no extra cost. <snip> .

Same here .. 450 hours at that level of expertise!!! Real cost may be inline wih the price of the speakers ... But there is the pride, the emotion of creating , etc .. Invaluable...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe you have to be a member to what I linked, which was part of his profile.

Does this work?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198192

It's an interesting read. He used all genuine B&W parts, which was a feat in itself, as no one would have thought B&W would be that cooperative.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Agree with you Frantz, great chef at home don't cook because it is cheaper than restaurant...
The only thing, I would went with Teflon cap's on tweeter like B&W.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
No pic of the for me most interesting thing, namely the dampening in the midrange enclosure (since I know that was an issue for B&W themselves initially when going for that shape... Perhaps they told him and requested to keep it secret?

( yes, I know one can buy a pair nd open up to find out. I'm not that interested/rich. :eek: )

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My word...that's impressive! You can hardly call it DIY at that level of finish! Its really a professional quality copy of the B&W! I wonder how it sounds.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Very impressive indeed, beautiful work. I know it's a terrible admission, but I couldn't help thinking that the level of effort should have been coupled with better electronics than the Emotiva gear shown at the end. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but the speakers looked like works of art!

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Very impressive indeed, beautiful work. I know it's a terrible admission, but I couldn't help thinking that the level of effort should have been coupled with better electronics than the Emotiva gear shown at the end. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but the speakers looked like works of art!

The emotiva amps aren't far off the state-of-the-art performance wise even if they don't cost a fortune. This guy obviously knows to get the most out of his money.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

Look , yes , sound ....? :)

He had me until he placed the B&W moniker on the front ......

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Err , what , SOTA , LOL ......:)

There's close to no coloration done passing through the emotivas and the largest flaw the speakers won't be capable of showing anyway, they don't play deep enough for that. Upgrading to a big Bryston does little difference apart from in the bank account, this guy will get more out of building subwoofers for the money.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I will send him a PM and ask him if he would like to join WBF.

EDIT: He has turned PM'ing OFF.

EDIT2: Maybe leave a message on his YouTube channel?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing