Avalon Tesseract

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
On the other hand, I am not sure of finding a speaker like this one to be designed and built in a garage....really hard.

I got to visit the factory early last year. I would say it is impossible to replicate how Avalons are assembled in a garage unless you spent a ton of money on the custom clamping jigs necessary to glue the panels together. Not to say you could not make a speaker that looks similar in a garage.

I was surprised by how thick the front baffles were. They looked to be more that 2 inches thick. I would expect them to be very inert the way they are made.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I got to visit the factory early last year. I would say it is impossible to replicate how Avalons are assembled in a garage unless you spent a ton of money on the custom clamping jigs necessary to glue the panels together. Not to say you could not make a speaker that looks similar in a garage.

I was surprised by how thick the front baffles were. They looked to be more that 2 inches thick. I would expect them to be very inert the way they are made.

Avalon actually ended up suing Silverline Audio (pretty much a garage operation at the time) for manufacturing a speaker that looks too similar to their design. Little childish if you ask me....

http://www.stereophile.com/news/10914/index.html

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Polar response is an interesting subject. If you plan on listening on axis most of the time then there is no reason to get your panties in a bunch about off axis response. In fact if your speakers are designed to be beamy then they are likely to be less distorted on axis than speakers that are designed to spread the sound around because of the comb filtering of sound bouncing off the walls. Of course if you want even frequency response throughout the room because of multiple seating positions then you have to live with that compromise.
What you're saying is basically that you don't think distorted sound with comb filtering from the room contributes to anything in sweetspot. Or that a narrow (beaming) horizontal dispersion is without it's problem. Very wrong.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And still, many of you think it's great. Based on what? Marketing? :)
A speaker design like this will never yield a particular uniform polar response. It's simply not possible. The price really doesn't help much.... I'm sure audiophools will give it glowing reviews though.

Cute. Riddled by logical fallacies that would cause you to lose a freshman debate but cute none the less :p. Doesn't change the fact that you're demanding measurements from what is at this point a computer model man. C'mon just admit you jumped the gun. :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What you're saying is basically that you don't think distorted sound with comb filtering from the room contributes to anything in sweetspot. Or that a narrow (beaming) horizontal dispersion is without it's problem. Very wrong.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying narrow dispersion speakers will have less sound bouncing off the side walls thus less comb filtering. I also did not say narrow dispersion speakers were without problems. If off axis dispersion is a priority for you that is fine. But don't expect everyone else to have the same priorities as you.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Great to have an expert like bjorn aboard , i cant wait to see your speakers /system :D
Maybe you can enlighten us and start your own systemsthread ??

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good evening, gentlemen. Many posts have been permanently deleted from this thread. While no specific rules were broken, the tone of some of the latest posts were not in good taste and do not represent the overall view of the forum or it's administrators. Please refrain from making such posts in the future and let's get this thread back to the original topic. That being the Avalon Tesseract.

Tom

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying narrow dispersion speakers will have less sound bouncing off the side walls thus less comb filtering. I also did not say narrow dispersion speakers were without problems. If off axis dispersion is a priority for you that is fine. But don't expect everyone else to have the same priorities as you.
You missed my second part. Beaming isn't considered good. Remember the total energy. Yes, you avoid some specular reflections but at a cost.

Either way though, the Avalon Tesseract will not have well controlled directivity. That's not possible to achieve the way they design the speaker. So the Tesseract will not measure particular well off-axis.

You must be a genius if you can tell what this room will sound like from a picture.:rolleyes:
Acutally, it's possible to say a great deal about a system looking at the room and treatment if you have knowledge about acoustics. And especially if you know the acoustic product. Which I do know in this case. I've measured the performance in a room of it once. It was also compared to 20 cm of rock wool. Looking at distances to walls, what type of treatment they are using, where the treatment is placed etc. tells me a great deal. But that's another topic. I'll leave you guys alone. ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You missed my second part. Beaming isn't considered good. Remember the total energy. Yes, you avoid some specular reflections but at a cost.

Either way though, the Avalon Tesseract will not have well controlled directivity. That's not possible to achieve the way they design the speaker. So the Tesseract will not measure particular well off-axis.

Acutally, it's possible to say a great deal about a system looking at the room and treatment if you have knowledge about acoustics. And especially if you know the acoustic product. Which I do know in this case. I've measured the performance in a room of it once. It was also compared to 20 cm of rock wool. Looking at distances to walls, what type of treatment they are using, where the treatment is placed etc. tells me a great deal. But that's another topic. I'll leave you guys alone. ;)

Bet you can tell from looking at a picture of Neil Patel that he's an idiot too!

Is that a threat or a promise?

Do you do channelling also?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I was wondering if anyone noticed that the Avalon room is a trapezoid. It's hard to tell by the pictures but if you look for it you will see it.

Bjorn, please elaborate on what you find bad about narrow dispersion speakers if the listener always sit in the sweet spot and the frequency response is correct at the sweet spot? Because I don't know what your hinting at and I'm always willing to learn something new. As for how the room treatments measure, even if they measure poorly they have enough to make up for that I think.;) They are the US distributor of those tube traps and helmholtz resonators so it makes sense they would use them.

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

For a second, there, it looked like the guardians from the 5th Element were coming back to Earth.

:)

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
For a second, there, it looked like the guardians from the 5th Element were coming back to Earth.

Just team them up in a 5.1 with Vivid Audios Giya as PlavaLaguna and then if we only could find some equipment representing the mangalores...:b

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
firebrid grill off.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I was about to write that since I first saw the picture of the Tesseract.. Agreed!! :

Back to this speaker about which we not not much ... yet ... $200,000 , $300,000? more ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing