Auralic Vega DAC

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Anyone have any experience with this DAC? I am in the market for a 'better' DAC, and this received an excellent review in the February issue of The Absolute Sound. At 4K the price is right, if it performs as reviewed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Isn't the Lampizator 4 (or 5) in that price range? It should absolutely be considered.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Don't know. Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Don't know. Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip.

Also the Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 is a contender. Unbelievable performance at $ 5K, which completely made me rethink what amounts of information about timbral detail and acoustic space are really encoded on plain ordinary CD (not to speak of the vinyl-like excellent performance in rhythm & timing). I feel like I got a bargain at full price and that I am really fortunate.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Also the Berkeley Alpha DAC 2 is a contender. Unbelievable performance at $ 5K, which completely made me rethink what amounts of information about timbral detail and acoustic space are really encoded on plain ordinary CD (not to speak of the vinyl-like excellent performance in rhythm & timing). I feel like I got a bargain at full price and that I am really fortunate.

What was really shocking for me was the pairing of this DAC with the MIT 50ic interconnects and MA-X balanced AES/EBU cable - with these cables being so fast, the Berkeley then also comes across as an incredibly fast DAC, which then translates to the timbral attributes you mention. Unfortunately, the package price is well beyond the $5K for the DAC, but even at $10K after all discounts, the combination offers staggering performance, very very close to the Spectral SDR-4000 player. With the Alpha DAC being voiced using the DMA-360 S2 monos, I wasn't getting the speed I would have expected all this time; all this changed a couple of weeks ago.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Auralic Vega DAC
Anyone have any experience with this DAC? I am in the market for a 'better' DAC, and this received an excellent review in the February issue of The Absolute Sound. At 4K the price is right, if it performs as reviewed.

I had a Vega for 6 months, and can tell you it is a great value. I'm in the process ofd moving up to another DAC, and sold the Vega, but I could have easily lived with this unit. I did not use it as a pre, using it in an all Spectral system, driving Magico S5s. The unit goes very low, has a gorgeous midrange, and a sweet but reticent top end. Soundstage was on par with the Alpha, but Alpha was more forward and dynamic.- Row E vrs M. Alpha's low end was much tighter, but I preferred the Vega's midrange- it really is that nice. The Vega also switches easily to DSD- I purchased several titles, and it sounded great with them. Ultimately, I sold the Vega to try and achieve more shimmer on cymbals, and a tighter low end. I am comparing it to the Alpha, but of course, the Alpha with the USB box is 2X the price, so it should be better than the Vega. (I was using Light Harmonic's USB when comparing both, and an Audioquest AES for the Alpha USB box). I would audition the unit in my system, and if it is synergistic, I think you'll be pleased. Build quality was excellent BTW.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What was really shocking for me was the pairing of this DAC with the MIT 50ic interconnects and MA-X balanced AES/EBU cable - with these cables being so fast, the Berkeley then also comes across as an incredibly fast DAC, which then translates to the timbral attributes you mention. Unfortunately, the package price is well beyond the $5K for the DAC, but even at $10K after all discounts, the combination offers staggering performance, very very close to the Spectral SDR-4000 player. With the Alpha DAC being voiced using the DMA-360 S2 monos, I wasn't getting the speed I would have expected all this time; all this changed a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting that you would mention that impression of an incredibly 'fast' DAC. I had a similar effect recently after an upgrade of my triode monoblocks with massive external BorderPatrol power supplies. The resolution of the amps, due to elimination of electronic noise that had come from their internal power supplies, is so much higher now, and lets this fast timbral detail far better through. The DAC just seems so much better and indeed faster than before, while prior to the upgrade I had already gushed about its capabilities. Review of the BorderPatrol power supplies forthcoming.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
... and before I get laughed at for calling cables 'fast', I'll just point interested parties to this review http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue70/mit_slcables.htm (and this is one of those rare cases I will wholeheartedly agree with a professional review):

With the new MIT SL-Matrix line, we now have something very different . If this experience sounds familiar, you really owe it to yourself to check out these new designs. Mids and highs are now airy and extended with tremendous transient speed and articulation. Supplementing this is that wonderful level of sonic texture and dimensionality that I mentioned earlier.

Well, transient speed and articulation is what I've always been after and touting in these forums, and this is what we get with the MITs.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
All the praise for the BADA, makes me look forward to hearing the new Reference.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
All the praise for the BADA, makes me look forward to hearing the new Reference.

To be honest, I too was looking forward to it. However, Berekely has not even posted any details of what it can do. For example, I am looking for a DAC that has filters for pre-ringing, and other digital artifacts. My current DAC, Bryston BDA2, has none. The Vega has 4 filters for PCM, and 2 for DSD. In addition it is 1/4 the price of the new Berkeley DAC. If it were made in the US instead of China it would be close to the price of the new Berkeley DAC. Hence my interest in it. I do wish Berkeley would provide preliminary information as to the capability of its new DAC instead of just a picture.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To be honest, I too was looking forward to it. However, Berekely has not even posted any details of what it can do. For example, I am looking for a DAC that has filters for pre-ringing, and other digital artifacts. My current DAC, Bryston BDA2, has none. The Vega has 4 filters for PCM, and 2 for DSD. In addition it is 1/4 the price of the new Berkeley DAC. If it were made in the US instead of China it would be close to the price of the new Berkeley DAC. Hence my interest in it. I do wish Berkeley would provide preliminary information as to the capability of its new DAC instead of just a picture.

Sure, but in the meantime you can have the BADA for a real-world price too that won't necessarily rob your bank account (it's just 1K more expensive than the Vega, which admittedly I haven't heard). Everybody is complaining about crazy high-end prices these days, but the BADA is a total steal in my view. I can't believe that I got this much performance for the money I paid.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Bud,
The filters on the Vega were very good, especially for "hot" recordings where the music is great -the recording not so much. The filter on the Vega for pop and rock recordings, which roll off the high end, made for good listening on those recordings. The real determining factor with the Vega is the location presentation. If you really want a upfront, near the stage presentation, this will not be for you IMHO. Mid hall presentation is really good though. Also, if your speakers go low, say below 40hz, the bass is low but a little diffuse- not really tight. I'm talking about below 40+/-. Definitely worth a listen for a DAC at $3500.- just keep the comparison fair, price wise.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Ordered one from Acoustic Sounds today. This way I get it with free shipping and no sales tax. The dealer in San Francisco never replied to my inquiry. In regard to the dealer in "Frisco", isn't there a thread about high-end stores going out of business.

I am looking forward to this DAC. It also comes with a remote so I can cycle through the filters as a track is playing to find the best match.

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
I am very interested in your impressions. I've been DAC shopping for a while and have had both the Meitner MA-1 and Marantz NA-11S1 in for trial, but returned both. I preferred the Marantz to the Meitner but wished it was strictly a DAC, not a streamer. The Vega is on my list along with the Luxman DA-06. I should probably look at the MSB Analog DAC as well, but I don't like the fact that it is single ended only or the fact that the price escalates quickly if you add any options or extra inputs.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Davky, you may be interested in a Lampi L4 balanced with DSD and volume control with remote (if I intuit your sonic tastes correctly). I have a pal downtown Philly who has one and is in love with it! I am a Lampi owner myself, but am in Europe. My pal in Boston changed his old Lampi for a Vega, but when he heard the new generation Lampi, he got his old one refreshed and now has kicked the Vega to the curb and even stopped listening to vinyl!

A Lampi L4 or even an L5 will cost more than the Vega but less than the MSB. If you need balanced/remote/DSD, then it will have to be the 2 box L5 or single box Big 5 for reasons of space. Cost of such will be about $6.5K, IIRC.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Pretty positive (understatement) review in the latest Stereophile also.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Really? Now I can't wait for either the Vega or stereophile to arrive. :D

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have read the review a few times now, and can't wait until mine arrives. It is due to be here Friday, which also is poker night. This will give it plenty of time to warm-up, and I should be able to start listening around 1 AM. I have a feeling I am going to be up all night.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing