Audiophile Fuses

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I've stuck with the Hifi Gold. The Supreme fuses have been sold.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am someone who likes to make only one change at a time and live with each change so that it becomes my new baseline before I make my next change. As some of you might know from another thread, I recently changed my preamp from a BAT VK 30SE to a VK32 SE, which was a significant and surprising step forward. I then replaced the 6H30's with NOS 6H30pDR's and found quite a benefit, especially with regard to sound stage. Today I put one HiFi Tuning Supreme 2 A sloblo in the BAT and for reasons that I do not understand it screwed up the logic computer, that was fortunately fixed by resetting it. Instantly, I noticed one thing, the sound stage became even more open, especially front to back.

Not surprisingly there was an accentuated high end, which I attribute to the newness of the part and its connections. Fortunately, the harshness is passing very quickly, although I suspect it will take several days and at least 10-20 hours before I start to get any type of stabilization. So all I can say at this point is that little thing in the current path does make a difference!

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
You'll also benefit from trying playing with the direction of the fuse. After 50 hours or so, you may find playing with direction will ameliorate any remaining reservations.

I agree with Mr Astor on fuse direction. I am in the process of demoing the HIFI Tuning Supreme fuses in my Spectral system. In comparison to the stock fuse. The direction that offers a more extended top end should be the correct position. With the DMA-250 installing the fuse with the arow towards the amp has a more extended top end, dynamics, greater resolution, controled bass. The other direction rolled the top end, less dynamic, slightly deeper bass, less control. I have compared the HIFI Tuning silver star gold cap to the Supreme. The Supreme has a more extended top end and greater resolution then the Silverstar in my system. The two 5 x 20 mm one amp slo-blo fuses for the 4000S Pro CD Player and 30SS Pre are coming this week. I have allready found the fuse direction that sounds closer to the stock tonal balance for the 4000S Pro. The 30SS may require the direction reversed due to the power on switch/fuse position is down while the 4000 is up.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Has anyone else compared the Hifi Gold to the Hifi Supreme, or even to the Furutech? I'm always curious to know of other's opinions.

Also, wasn't Steve going to have some ultimate fuse showdown some time?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
After about 30 hours of using a HIFI Tuning Supreme fuse in my preamp, things have smoothed out considerably, but not totally. There is still some brightness in the top end that I think is wrong. I say I think it is wrong, because maybe it was always wrong, but somewhat muted previously. After another 20 hours, I will reverse direction as per Myles' recommendation and then report back.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Curious: Has anyone reversed the fuse, then reversed it back to the original direction? I am wondering if the wiping action on the contacts, rather than direction of the fuse, is in play.

I know, silly engineer... - Don

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
Hi all, I installed a HiFi Tuning Silver Star last saturday and upon its initial insertion I was very pleased with the sound, before installing it I cleaned the stock fuse on the main ac line on my Halo A21, which was incredible in an of it self. Then I also treated the Silver Star with the Caig pro gold, its been in the amp for close to about 120 hrs of Idle time and about 40 hrs of playtime and upon each listen it gets smoother and I like what it does that much more. Overall its very extended and grain free, quite background , deeper bass extention and faster transient attacks, with out sacrificing the space between instruments and has made for a very nice 3d presentation. I'm very intrested in the new Supreme for the rest of my fuse replacement , but wondering if its to detailed over the Silver?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I'll throw in a little story ... (oh no!!)

Chap was trying to lift up a car engine with a chain, but no matter what he did the engine didn't move ...

Neighbour wanders over, and says, "Getting anywhere?"

"No, it's a mongrel! The chain seems to keep stretching and it's not happening! But, I'm pretty sure that the second link on the chain is not right, so I'm working on making it better."

"What have you done so far?"

"Man, I've sent that link away for heat treatment, put in one twice as thick, turned it sideways so the long sides take the strain, I hear you can get ones made over in Russia that use material developed for rocket engines, there are so many options!!"

"What about those links further up, made out of elastic, and that one there, using a couple of bits of fencing wire?"

"Nah, that's how the chain comes when you buy it, you can't touch those. No, I'll have to compensate by getting this second link here just, just right"

Frank

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
Hey fuse tweakers, I replaced the fuses in my Anthem processor last night with a Hifi tunning Silverstar and one gold becase the value was not avalible in silver, well to my surprise the result was not the same as the good results I got with my amp:confused:. So off came the hood to try the other direction and it did sound a little better but now the bass was missing highs where more extended but an overall thin sound I was not willing to live with, before with the fuses in the other direction the sound was diffused highs a tad ressesed and sounding as though the bass was struggling to come through. As a last resort I called Anthem, which might I add has some of the best customer support on the planet! They pulled up the schematic of the signal flow and walked me through and whata ya know! one fuse heads one way and the other a different according to the flow! So back in the Anthem I go to change the fuses around, put it back together fired it back up and low and behold musical flow, extended highs, bass extention and a palitable midrange! So with an ostounding yes they do have a directional flow at least to my ears! many thanks to Anthem on this one.:cool:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Myles,

I owe you thanks for turning me onto the HiFi Tuning fuses and their directionality. I have tried the fuse in both directions in my BAT VK 32 SE preamp and while either is better than the stock fuse, by a considerable margin, you are right that positioning the fuse with the arrow on the logo in the direction of the current flow does make a difference, especially with regard to sound stage, which is the biggest change I hear with this fuse. In your experience, do you think that there will be comparable changes with fuse replacements in my new Bryston 4B SST2 and Bryston DAC?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Avatar Acoustics room gave my a 15amp fuse to try. I need to try it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So I bought the hi-fi tuning fuse (silverstar) 1 amp for my phono pre (XP-25). I'm not sure if I hear a difference yet or not. I am auditioning a preamp currently so it probably wasn't the best time to do a comparo. Here's my take. Clearly these fuses are a superior contact point compared to the stock fuses. The fuse is like $60.00. In the grand scheme of things, in this case a $10,000 phono stage, I'm not going to lose any sleep over $60.00 and just may sleep better knowing I have maximized the quality of my connection with said component. YMMV. I also plan on using this fuse in my preamp. The power amps don't have fuses so no worry there and I suppose my Digital rig could benefit from these fuses. My Wilson speakers have fuses, so maybe it's worth a try using them there too. :confused:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So I bought the hi-fi tuning fuse (silverstar) 1 amp for my phono pre (XP-25). I'm not sure if I hear a difference yet or not. I am auditioning a preamp currently so it probably wasn't the best time to do a comparo. Here's my take. Clearly these fuses are a superior contact point compared to the stock fuses. The fuse is like $60.00. In the grand scheme of things, in this case a $10,000 phono stage, I'm not going to lose any sleep over $60.00 and just may sleep better knowing I have maximized the quality of my connection with said component. YMMV. I also plan on using this fuse in my preamp. The power amps don't have fuses so no worry there and I suppose my Digital rig could benefit from these fuses. My Wilson speakers have fuses, so maybe it's worth a try using them there too. :confused:

your Wilson speakers have resistors not fuses

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing