Audiophile Finance

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Has anyone ever sold one type of component to help purchase a different type of component for the same system hoping to improve the sound? If so, was the move a good one?

I will start:

Over the course of a few months, I sold expensive cables and power cords to finance the purchase RPG room treatments. Overall, it was a very good move.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I recently returned a pair of MIT MA-X Super HD speaker cables and used the $50K buy a new BMW 5 series...no I didn't really. It's obviously an unfair comparison. The MIT cable has far greater cutting edge technology, a far greater collection of exotic parts and much higher manufacturing costs...plus it's much more earth-friendly..

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I recently returned a pair of MIT MA-X Super HD speaker cables and used the $50K buy a new BMW 5 series...no I didn't really. It's obviously an unfair comparison. The MIT cable has far greater cutting edge technology, a far greater collection of exotic parts and much higher manufacturing costs...plus it's much more earth-friendly..

You know, that's actually an interesting comparison and kind of puts things in perspective. There is probably more money invested in the raw materials that make up just the tires and wheels on a 5 series BMW than a pair of those MIT cables. Now when you throw in the rest of the materials and parts that make up a 5 series BMW (which has a complete stereo system including all cables), it's kind of funny that someone can charge $50K for just a pair of speaker cables.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You know, that's actually an interesting comparison and kind of puts things in perspective. There is probably more money invested in the raw materials that make up just the tires and wheels on a 5 series BMW than a pair of those MIT cables. Now when you throw in the rest of the materials and parts that make up a 5 series BMW (which has a complete stereo system including all cables), it's kind of funny that someone can charge $50K for just a pair of speaker cables.

:)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Audiophile" and "finance" are probably two words that shouldn't appear in the same sentence. :D

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I sold my Burmester 911 MK3 and 089 to buy better cables and a custom supercharger kit for my BMW 540i.:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I sell audio equipment so I can buy audio equipment. LOL. Seriously!

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
Has anyone ever sold one type of component to help purchase a different type of component for the same system hoping to improve the sound? If so, was the move a good one?

I will start:

Over the course of a few months, I sold expensive cables and power cords to finance the purchase RPG room treatments. Overall, it was a very good move.

Sure. All of my expensive cables were sold a long time ago and invested the money in better gear. I believe everyone would realize better sound by selling the expensive cables and using the money for room treatments or better gear or both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing