Audioguy HT and 2 Channel Room (Combined)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have made the decision to get out of analog. WAY too much music (1100 CDs, 400 of which I've never heard) and about 500 DVDs and Blurays. The turntable, base, cover phono stage are gone but still have VPI record cleaner and SDS to sell as well as record collection.

I've also installed Seaton Sparks for sides and rears so sold my rear channel amp. will also probably sell my TacT and DAC.

Here is what I have discovered and this is a quote that I stole from CraigJohn:

Lombardi said it: “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

I love this quote but If we chase perfection in high end audio, we end up poor :p

I also sold my JVC RS2 and upgraded to the new RS55 projector. WOW!!!

Sonically, for home theater only, my room/system is as good as I've heard. Musically, it is satisfying :D

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Chuck

if you are going all digital why are you selling your DAC and TacT

I've gotten very enthralled into listening to 2 channel music in some of the various multi-channel options on my surround processor. I know that's not "purist", but as good as two channel can be, it rarely does justice to a real "live" performance. For example, the demo that Lexicon did at CEDIA made two channel music sound thin and artificial when compared to what they produced with QLS. While there is nothing on the market like that, even some of the options on my Integra provide (for me) a much more realistic option than virtually any two channel reproduction.

I've believed for a long, long time that we will NEVER get close to "real" with 2 speakers. That is why I was SO hopeful for the new Lexicon piece.

I'm not 100% sure I'm getting rid of the TacT/DAC but most likely!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, audioguy. LMK what you are looking for with regards to the VPI cleaner, please. I have a friend that's interested in getting one and he doesn't live too far away from you. As far as the record collection, are you looking to sell as a lot or are you going to break it up?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've gotten very enthralled into listening to 2 channel music in some of the various multi-channel options on my surround processor. I know that's not "purist", but as good as two channel can be, it rarely does justice to a real "live" performance. For example, the demo that Lexicon did at CEDIA made two channel music sound thin and artificial when compared to what they produced with QLS. While there is nothing on the market like that, even some of the options on my Integra provide (for me) a much more realistic option than virtually any two channel reproduction.

I've believed for a long, long time that we will NEVER get close to "real" with 2 speakers. That is why I was SO hopeful for the new Lexicon piece.
Ditto.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hello, audioguy. LMK what you are looking for with regards to the VPI cleaner, please. I have a friend that's interested in getting one and he doesn't live too far away from you. As far as the record collection, are you looking to sell as a lot or are you going to break it up?

There is a newer 17 record cleaner on Agon for $1150. I am asking $900 for my 17H

I plan to try to sell my collection in one piece if I can but have no clue how to price it yet!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you. I will let Wayne know about the VPI and I will get back to you if this is up his alley.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hehe, go figure. He just got back to me and thanked me for letting him know. Apparently I was 30 minutes too late by the time he got my message. He just purchased a Nitty Gritty. DOH!!!

Thank you though and good luck on the sale. I'll keep an eye out for the LP's you are parting with.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Updated Photos

I've made a number of changes since I first started this thread so thought I would update:

New Chairs, New Surrounds (Seaton Sparks) and New Projector (JVC RS55). Still using the same Motorized Panamorph lens

Side surround (Seaton Spark. Grills to come later !

Front Left (Seaton Catalyst now on Seaton Stands and Seaton SubMersive

Front of room (I had to remove the grills so something would actually show up in the photo since black in front of black is hard to photograph)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I will be keeping my TacT and DAC for a while. I lose too much flexibility with just the Integra (only can have 1 target curve versus 9 for the TacT). I need to figure out how to "glue" the Tact to the Integra so that I can have surround music. So much to do ---- so little time!!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So your stereo system had to perform double duty with the home theater system in the same room and now you have given up on playing back LPs. I never thought this was a good mix if you are serious about 2 channel audio (mixing 2 channel audio with home theater). I hope you don’t end up regretting your decision because once you sell your LPs, you won’t get them back. But if you are into movies more than music, I guess you made a good decision. Looking at your room, it definitely looks like someone who is into home theater way more than 2 channel audio. Nothing wrong with that by the way. It’s all about choices.

If I sat in your room, I would expect to see something on a screen. It might even feel odd to listen to 2 channel audio and no video due to the setting. Kind of like sitting in an Italian restaurant and being served Chinese food.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So your stereo system had to perform double duty with the home theater system in the same room and now you have given up on playing back LPs. I never thought this was a good mix if you are serious about 2 channel audio (mixing 2 channel audio with home theater). I hope you don’t end up regretting your decision because once you sell your LPs, you won’t get them back. But if you are into movies more than music, I guess you made a good decision. Looking at your room, it definitely looks like someone who is into home theater way more than 2 channel audio. Nothing wrong with that by the way. It’s all about choices.

If I sat in your room, I would expect to see something on a screen. It might even feel odd to listen to 2 channel audio and no video due to the setting. Kind of like sitting in an Italian restaurant and being served Chinese food.

Interesting observations. What does selling or keeping my LP's have to do with the kind of room I am in. As I stated elsewhere, I have way too much music I have yet to hear and way too little time to listen. Digital provides great enjoyment, ease of access and use (I have a server) and I have over 500 hours of digital music I have never heard. Plus another 700 CD's I like to listen to. So I chose to sell my analog gear.

As to the mixed room: I don't have the luxury of having two dedicated spaces. So when I had the room designed, I stated a 75% preference to two channel music. So your observations notwithstanding, it is primarily a two channel room. I have visited a number of WBF members systems (e.g. Steve, Marty, Rich) and all of them are mixed rooms. And I would be willing to bet they are some of the very best audio systems one could ever expect to hear. And I have no doubt (one I have heard for movies) they are outstanding for HT as well.

I am always fascinated when forum members decide how a system/ room is going to sound without ever having been in it.

Just amazing!!!

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
While WBF appears to be primarily aimed at audio discussions, my room serves dual purpose - HT and music.

I noted previously that I had installed a JVC RS55 to replace my perfectly wonderful RS2. The improvements were staggering. Out of the box, using some basic settings, the jump in depth, color, clarity, film-likeness was awesome.

I was planning on having the PJ calibrated near 100 hours, but instead purchased Calman software/hardware (meter) from SpectraCal and a Lumagen Radiance video processor.

The (very patient) folks from SpectraCal walked me through the calibration process (impossible to say "intuitive" and "CalMan" in the same sentence) and I was, quite frankly, blown away by the improvement. I could have lived happily-ever-after with the out-of-the-box picture quality but once I have seen what this PJ can really do, there is no going back.

A new audio rack should be arriving today (Salamander --- see below) to replace my 15 year old Michael Green JustaRacks, and then I should be done (or maybe not!!!). The JustaRacks were an incredibly functional product, but just UGLY. I have not need tor exotic racks as my equipment is in another room on concrete. There is ZERO airborne feedback and immeasurable feedback from the concrete floor. Mine will not have either the glass doors or the side, but will have lights under each shelf

sdls_incabinet..jpg

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Very nice.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
New house and new room. Converted an open walled loft to my listening room/theater. Initial dimensions of the room was 19.3 x 27 x 8. Ended up about 19.2 x 22 x 7'11". I used the 5 feet I took away for equipment and media storage. I used GIK for room design and acoustic treatment. Double dry wall (and ceiling) with green glue; under carpet layment (700 pounds of stuff on the floor); solid core doors; new door seals and jams; puddy packs on electrical outlets; five 20 amp circuits. The build out of this existing space cost more than when I finished the basement in my previous home with a bedroom, full bath, exercise room and theater.

Still using much of the same equipment but will be changing out the JVC PJ for the new Sony 600ES 4K PJ. I am still looking for a new SSP. Will be giving he Emotiva "Often Announced and More Often Delayed" SSP a shot since it will be Dirac based instead of Audyssey. I like their stuff (except the blue lights!!). I changed screen from my previous Stewart 1.3 gain to SeymourAV XD Acoustically Transparent screen (advertised gain of 1.2 ?). Same size as my last one (120 x 51). Lastly, in went to a Carada CIH masking system. Now THAT is a great piece of engineering!!!

Anyway, given my age and soon to be retired life (hopefully in the next 30 days) this will be the last one.

Since these photos were taken, the entry door has been painted, the projector has been replaced with the Sony and the right and left side of the screen have been covered with absorption material.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Very nice, audioguy. I bet you are glad all of the dust is gone and you are at the point of actual enjoyment!

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Very nice, audioguy. I bet you are glad all of the dust is gone and you are at the point of actual enjoyment!

Tom

Thanks for the complement. Well the dust is gone but I'm not quite to the point of enjoyment. Some thing is weird with the right channel and I don't know if it is the room, interconnect, preamp, amp or demons. But I will find it.

That said, I have listened to some music with Dirac Live (my new best audio friend) which seems to correct, for the most part, whatever is going on in the right channel and it is sounding quite good. The room may be a bit on the dry side but that determination will take some time.

But I am REALLY glad that the physical construction (saw dust generating) is complete. So except a few small things, like painting the entry door, and to the extent that any of these rooms are ever finished, I am almost finished.

Thanks again (I will be in your very nice city in a few days to visit my daughter, son-in-law and grand kids.)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Alright, curiosity is getting the better of me here. On the second picture provided, I notice some sort of "window" type thing with what appears to be light coming through it to the right of the right speaker toward the ground. If you don't mind me asking....what is that?

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy resolution with regards to the right channel issue. Chasing gremlins can be aggravating, sometime difficult to isolate and time consuming, to say the least.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing