Audio Note - Anyone heard their new CDT-6 Transport & Fifth Element DAC?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ridiculously priced...even by audiomania standards...close to $200K for 4 boxes. Would never have even bothered to search for a review until i became intrigued to hear Martin Colloms wrote an outstanding review that placed it well above any other digital. I respect Martin Colloms a lot, and i have noted in his long history of reviews...he is happy to publicly score an uber-expensive product level with far, far less expensive products. Trust me - i aint in the market for this...but now curious to know if anyone has heard it.

Anyone heard this latest NOS DAC? I read the quik dagogo notes from their visit to Audio Federation...otherwise have not found much else. Thanks for any insights.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Ridiculously priced...even by audiomania standards...close to $200K for 4 boxes. Would never have even bothered to search for a review until i became intrigued to hear Martin Colloms wrote an outstanding review that placed it well above any other digital. I respect Martin Colloms a lot, and i have noted in his long history of reviews...he is happy to publicly score an uber-expensive product level with far, far less expensive products. Trust me - i aint in the market for this...but now curious to know if anyone has heard it.

Anyone heard this latest NOS DAC? I read the quik dagogo notes from their visit to Audio Federation...otherwise have not found much else. Thanks for any insights.

$200K for a CD player? Absolutely incredible.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Hi Lloyd - yes that was the obsolete chip I was referring to. Seems rather a lot of money to pay to get one of those chips don't you think? If I was building a $200k CD system I think I might focus a bit more on improving the DAC :p

As regards Audio Note DACs in general I think it was the review of an AN CD player which captured my attention in a recent edition of Stereophile. The measurements did not look very good but the listening report was glowing. This CD player used AD1865 I believe in NOS.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So for your 200k you get the hand skills of extra virgin angels! I always wondered how extra virgins get demoted to virgins. :)

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Speaking of that chip - AD 1865N is heart of my custom 3-D Audio DAC and this thing absolutley destroyed my DCS Elgar + which also was modified and still bettered latest Esoteric K2 with Omachi-San personal mods.

This DAC was only cmpared with AudioNole Dac7 and trully is a beast.

And playing 16/44.1 it bettered DCS playing 24/192 from PC (16/44.1 was derived via downsampling high res).
//esoteric did had anedge over it playing high res though but by the small margin so I would not laugh about AD1865N which is probably the finest implementation of R2R DAC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Speaking of that chip - AD 1865N is heart of my custom 3-D Audio DAC and this thing absolutley destroyed my DCS Elgar + which also was modified and still bettered latest Esoteric K2 with Omachi-San personal mods.

And playing 16/44.1 it bettered DCS playing 24/192 from PC...esoteric did had an edge over it playing high res though but by the small margin so I would not laugh about AD1865N which is probably the finest implementation of R2R DAC

Hi...interesting! certainly not 'laughing' at the DAC chip...more the $200K price for the AN digital setup. Pls tell us more if you dont mind about your 3D DAC!

Last edited:

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Hi...interesting! certainly not 'laughing' at the DAC chip...more than $200K price for the AN digital setup. Pls tell us more if you dont mind about your 3D DAC!

Well - first place to start is to read this review.
http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=30

This is trully asynchronos fully reclocking DAC

Last year Alex reworked output stage circut, put some WE 417A, Telefunken Rectifier and huge Oil Caps to stabilise Power supply, reworked PS, all ultrapremium parts throught DAC - more that $2500 in parts, upgraded to his latest revision of reclocker - less than 2 ps of jitter.

And we upgraded 1865N to 1865N-K - another huge step

Now he actualy building me a hybrid custom transformer coupled version wired with Stealth Audio Sakra inside out

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

I'd predict that a well implemented multibit DAC would fairly well demolish almost any S-D based DAC in listening.

And playing 16/44.1 it bettered DCS playing 24/192 from PC (16/44.1 was derived via downsampling high res).
//esoteric did had anedge over it playing high res though but by the small margin so I would not laugh about AD1865N which is probably the finest implementation of R2R DAC

There's no doubt that the AD1865 is a good DAC chip - but on paper its not better in any way that I can see than the TDA1541A. Its 14LSBs are R2R but the top four bits are segmented incidentally - I'd expect a DAC where more bits are segmented to outperform one where R2R is used as the potential for glitching is reduced.

You mention the -K version is being used in your 3D DAC but the ADI datasheet I have does not mention there's a K-grade, only -J. What parameters are improved in the K-grade?

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
From Hificritic

Audionote CD/DAC 5/6 notes by designer Andy Grove

(came too late for consideration in the review description )

5th Element..well...

Briefly the concept arose from me thinking about the SPDIF interface. I’d been researching and thinking about ways to improve it, and came to the conclusion that the best way to treat it was to think of it as an analogue transmission line.
If you start with the idea that a separate DAC and transport are superior to an integrated player, then you need a way to connect them together.
Now, transmission lines generally require a defined impedance at each end, at the transmit and receive ends and, really, a digital gate doesn’t provide this so I had to come up with a way to buffer the digital internals of the DAC (and the CD player) to provide a nice analogue impedance for the transmission line.
To do that I first of all started to think about a solid state solution, but then I thought I may as well just go all the way and do it with valves, my preferred devices. Starting there I designed both a simple transformer coupled stage with a EF800 pentode, and also a small data transformer one at the transmit end and one at the receive end.
And these are wideband SE, Class A, transformer coupled stages.

I built the prototype for just one end (I can’t remember which, transmit or receive) and gave it a listen. The result was subtle in some ways, yet obvious in others, colours were improved and the HF became more silky and less digital sounding. With this in mind I built a complete system, transmit and receive, and tried that, and the results were even better.
So, it was now obvious that you needed it at both ends of the cable to get the full benefit.
I did these experiments with one of our lower end DACs, but I discussed with Peter and Andy W and we decided that we should make a kind of super DAC 5, using the PSU from the M9 preamp to power the analogue stages. This DAC would have the receiving buffer while the forthcoming CDT-6 would have the transmitting buffer. I also designed a new I/V transformer, using the massive custom Permalloy core which we were currently using in the AN-S9 moving coil step up.

It all came together, and the first proper DAC arrived here, all built with the new parts and technologies. I checked it over, adjusted it and put it in the listening area. Andy Whittle ( sales) and Peter sat down to check it out.
I went back to my lab for a bit and went back down again after the unit had run for 20 minutes, only to walk through the door and see Peter and Andy with their mouths and eyes wide open!
Result!

The name came about because we wanted it to show it’s relationship to the DAC5, but we wanted to show it was separate too. I was talking with Peter Q and said “well, Quintessence is the 5th Element” and Peter said “that’s it, we’ll call it The Fifth Element” and oddly enough, a couple of days later we saw a scientific journal headline about fundamental forces and came up with the idea of the PSU being called The Fifth Force.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Probably The best NOS dac in market

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Probably The best NOS dac in market
You mean the DAC 5th Element? Martin Colloms was effusive about how good it is...absolutely class leading. Would you mind sharing any 'listening notes about your experience and you find it 'the best NOS'? Most interested!

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
You mean the DAC 5th Element? Martin Colloms was effusive about how good it is...absolutely class leading. Would you mind sharing any 'listening notes about your experience and you find it 'the best NOS'? Most interested!
my friend is going to order DAC 5th Element soon and I have DAC5 in my home.
I did not listened to DAC 5th Element and i listened to CEC TL0 3.0 / DAC5 .
AN DAC5 is very very good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
my friend is going to order DAC 5th Element soon and I have DAC5 in my home.
I did not listened to DAC 5th Element and i listened to CEC TL0 3.0 / DAC5 .
AN DAC5 is very very good.
Incredible...would love to hear the DAC 5th someday.

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing