Arender x100/s10 vs CAPS Pipeline

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Good point. I have a CAPS 2.0 collecting dust, a CAPS 3.0 listed on audiogon (no takers) and another $4K PC multi media server I can't sell. PC based digital front ends are the only pieces of gear I am taking massive depreciation hits on.

That is because they are obsolete in terms of hardware and processing power. Even at the time of their launch, they were way underpowered, and when the time went by, that became even more of a limitation.

The CAPS v4 project on the other hand, has all the processing power you may ever need (ok, so maybe 'ever' is not the correct works as everything in computers ages eventually, but they should be good for the next couple of years) and can always be easily upgraded (with a board/processor/ram change).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That is because they are obsolete in terms of hardware and processing power. Even at the time of their launch, they were way underpowered, and when the time went by, that became even more of a limitation.

The CAPS v4 project on the other hand, has all the processing power you may ever need (ok, so maybe 'ever' is not the correct works as everything in computers ages eventually, but they should be good for the next couple of years) and can always be easily upgraded (with a board/processor/ram change).

The CAPS 3.0 Zuma with i7 processor has more horsepower than you'll ever need. It runs dirac MCH + DSD/PCM conversion without breaking a sweat.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I agree. Also, don't forget to consider the resale value (Aurender vs. DIY server) as part of the equation when looking at the economics.

CAPS is also a very well known brand name right now. I have sold my two CAPS v3 servers without problems last year (when they were still current), for the price of parts (so basicly lost nothing).

I agree about DIY projects though - they are impossible to sell, unless you are prepared to accept a big loss. This is whay I always recommend getting one of the CAPS servers as a base for server projects.

CAPS project computers have one clear advantage over Aurender - thay can be upgraded down the road.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The CAPS 3.0 Zuma with i7 processor has more horsepower than you'll ever need. It runs dirac MCH + DSD/PCM conversion without breaking a sweat.

I was thinking about Topanaga / Lagoon versions, based on the Intel 2800 mobo. The CAPS v3 Zuma is just too expensive - most people that want to spend that kind of money would probably steer towards the current CAPS v4.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Any direct comparisons done yet? I am building a CAPS pipeline, pkease stop me now if you have heard the s10 or x100 and think it's better sonically, because the used value of those products is comparable

The first question I would as is: which Pipeline ? The original Pipeline project as described on Computer Audiophile, or a Pipeline enchanced with Jcat bits (Jcat USB card, battery PSU, SATA cable - http://jplay.eu/jcat/). The later sounds MUCH better, and I consider the Jcat stuff absolutely essential for best sound quality.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The first question I would as is: which Pipeline ? The original Pipeline project as described on Computer Audiophile, or a Pipeline enchanced with Jcat bits (Jcat USB card, battery PSU, SATA cable - http://jplay.eu/jcat/). The later sounds MUCH better, and I consider the Jcat stuff absolutely essential for best sound quality.
So, hypothetically, if n100 beats caps pipeline without jcat, it is possible with jcat the result can reverse?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
So, hypothetically, if n100 beats caps pipeline without jcat, it is possible with jcat the result can reverse?

Sure. With Jcat bits, sonic wise, it is a different animal altogether.

I have tried the SOtM bits recommended by Chriss - the SOtM USB card and SATA filter - but quickly sold them after trying the Jcat stuff. They are much, much better.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sure. With Jcat bits, sonic wise, it is a different animal altogether.

I have tried the SOtM bits recommended by Chriss - the SOtM USB card and SATA filter - but quickly sold them after trying the Jcat stuff. They are much, much better.

how do products like the Teradak LPS figure into this comparison? does the Aurender have a similar level power supply?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
how do products like the Teradak LPS figure into this comparison? does the Aurender have a similar level power supply?

Some Aurenders like S10 and x100 have SMPS. The n100 etc have LPS.

I think the best power supplies are known to be Paul Hynes, and now the Uptone JS-2 is getting great reviews. If you use Paul Hynes as LPS into the CAPS' motherboard for clean power, the mobo converts it to switching supplies of 3.3V, 5v, etc. If you want these voltages to be linear instead of switching, you can add Teradak Full ATX supply. Elberoth has done that and said it takes it a level up. So Teradak is not as good as Hynes but provides this functionality at a good price. Disclaimer: My understanding comes from research and not practice.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It would be perfect to use Hynes designed ATX PSU. It is not easily done though, as ATX standard requires the voltages to show up at certain intervals of time on startup. If you power up all the rails (+12V, +5V, +3.3V, -5V) at the same time, many MoBos will not boot. In other words, you need onboard logic circuit of sorts to make ATX supply work. This is why there are so few of them.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
ATX standard requires the voltages to show up at certain intervals of time on startup. If you power up all the rails (+12V, +5V, +3.3V, -5V) at the same time, many MoBos will not boot. In other words, you need onboard logic circuit of sorts to make ATX supply work. This is why there are so few of them.

The Teradak Full ATX supply is able to do so. There is a long discussion on it at computeraudiophiles.com .
Several friends of mine in Hong Kong are using it too.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The Teradak Full ATX supply is able to do so. There is a long discussion on it at computeraudiophiles.com .
Several friends of mine in Hong Kong are using it too.

Yes, I have one too.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
CAPS is also a very well known brand name right now. I have sold my two CAPS v3 servers without problems last year (when they were still current), for the price of parts (so basicly lost nothing).

I agree about DIY projects though - they are impossible to sell, unless you are prepared to accept a big loss. This is whay I always recommend getting one of the CAPS servers as a base for server projects.

As for "brand" awareness and resale value, this might hold true in the States. The very latest versions might also compete or even be superior to the newest Aurender units - who knows (?). That said, a vast majority - excluding the most initiated and technology savvy - would most certainly prefer the solid offerings from Aurender. The main point is to get a very high performing server/streamer without having to deal or worry about the ins and outs.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Regardless of its performance, a CAPS machine is, and always will be, a computer. And have you looked up prices of used desktop computers on eBay or craigslist? People are just not used to paying big bucks for used desktop computers, no matter how fancy the USB card or power supply you have inside...

An appliance, a device like Aurender, is not seen as a computer, and holds its value considerably better. But you're not fooling anybody if you just take the computer innards and stuff into one of those generic chinese boxes, and call it an "music server" :D

alexandre

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Just took delivery of my N100H. Very pleased so far with sound quality and ease of setup. It is feeding my dcs debussy with files being streamed from a windows homeserver box.
It replaces a dedicated PC running jrivrer & foobar. No negatives to report on sound quality when compared to the PC.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just took delivery of my N100H. Very pleased so far with sound quality and ease of setup. It is feeding my dcs debussy with files being streamed from a windows homeserver box.
It replaces a dedicated PC running jrivrer & foobar. No negatives to report on sound quality when compared to the PC.

Was the PC with LPS and such components?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I would just be certain, that your ' music server' plays everything you might want it to play, I believe some won't play Tidal,Quboz etc.
Wheras a relatively cheap laptop...
Keith.

True, but only if you have the laptop in your hand. JRiver does not have a solution to control TIDAL from an iPad app unless you try and use remote desktop. Same for all the OSX players I think, though I am a little behind the times there.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just received my N100H yesterday and had the chance to fully set up the library and play music for several hours. The N100H replaced a custom built, CAPS-like PC (ASUS Z87M-PLUS, Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150, CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB, Streacom FC10, picoPSU 160 W, Paul Pang USB v2.0, Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F128GBGS, Win Server 2012 R2, AO v1.3?). Honestly, I did not hear a significant difference in the sound. However, I am thrilled to have a box now that I don't have to support and tinker with (and I love tinkering). The Aurender App may not have the same level of customization options as jriver but in 2 hours I had my 100k files appearing at my fingertips in an organzied fashion.

For the same money I would go the Aurender (or other similar box) route and not bother with a computer PC build. I don't think there is any sacrifice in audio quality and you have much less to do to set this up and maintain it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just received my N100H yesterday and had the chance to fully set up the library and play music for several hours. The N100H replaced a custom built, CAPS-like PC (ASUS Z87M-PLUS, Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150, CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB, Streacom FC10, picoPSU 160 W, Paul Pang USB v2.0, Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F128GBGS, Win Server 2012 R2, AO v1.3?). Honestly, I did not hear a significant difference in the sound. However, I am thrilled to have a box now that I don't have to support and tinker with (and I love tinkering). The Aurender App may not have the same level of customization options as jriver but in 2 hours I had my 100k files appearing at my fingertips in an organzied fashion.

For the same money I would go the Aurender (or other similar box) route and not bother with a computer PC build. I don't think there is any sacrifice in audio quality and you have much less to do to set this up and maintain it.

Thanks, what LPS did you have, and what s/w did you use on your PC?

I agree that in terms of convenience Aurender is unbeatable. On the other hand that PC you had can be upgraded forever on both h/w and s/w, while the Aurender cannot (possibly can be on s/w)

I think I will build a PC, and get a N100h for a demo. If the sound is similar, and not night and day difference, will sell of the PC at component cost. The fact that we had HQP just over a year ago and this year there is Bughead Emperor, means in 2 or 3 years we will have jriver like functionality with much better sound, I think

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing