Areas where more money doesn't buy more happiness necessarily

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Whoever said "money doesn't buy happiness" was definitely wrong Money does happiness all the time :D. Just think of what you can do with more money in audio/video.

Alas, there are areas where more money doesn't necessarily buy more happiness. Great example is boats. The cost goes up by a factor of 2 for every 3 to 6 feet of length. As the size goes up, so goes the aggravations. Not being built like cars with high quality standards, as the systems increase in larger boats, so does the maintenance hassles. Sure, you can give it to someone else to do: the first "oil change" service for my old 32 foot powercat cost a cool $3,500! My 23 foot boat now has two-stroke hightech engine which doesn't even need an oil change!

Then it is the handling of the thing. My smaller boat can push itself into any spot. The larger boat needed lots of space to get around. I can see all around my smaller boat. No so with the larger where I could see the four corners and could be bumping into things.

Keep going up in size above 50 foot and problems escalate. One of the execs above me at Microsoft with net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars has a huge boat and was telling a story of how the transmission broke in the middle of the sea near Alaska. It took 3 weeks to get the part from Germany! He had to fly home back to work, and then up again for the repairs.

I used to have our larger boat at one of the top marinas here. I would go on popular long weekends like forth of July and see two-thirds of the boats still tied up to the dock! One look at the way the line was tied and you could just tell the person thought if they spent $1M on the boat, the thing would ride itself like a Lexus. NOT! If you don't know how to tie a line properly, it surely means you have not taken any classes to learn to drive the thing and the horror or running into others means you are stuck at the dock.

It is a shame really. Boating can be a lot of fun. But more money seems to come with a lot of grief. As they say, the happiest days of a boater are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it!

So do you know of other areas where more money doesn't purely increase level of happiness?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, I will give another example. Someone recently asked for best toaster. Is there a great toaster oven? If there is one, we haven't found one. They are all built cheaply and I can't find anything that works great.

Ditto for a table-top deep fryer. Read the reviews and they all seem like cheaply made.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well, I will give another example. Someone recently asked for best toaster. Is there a great toaster oven? If there is one, we haven't found one. They are all built cheaply and I can't find anything that works great.

Ditto for a table-top deep fryer. Read the reviews and they all seem like cheaply made.

we use a DeLonghi toaster oven and I have found no shortcomings. It even has a convection oven feature

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Well, dry sterilizers for medical instruments make pretty good ovens, built pretty well. I made a melted cheese sandwich in one once, but don't know how they will hold up for the long run, and never tried actually toasting something.

I knew a guy who took a dream trip in his boat with his wife. His intention was to go from San Francisco, down the coast to Mexico, over to New Zealand and Australia and back. He got to Tonga, and when he went to have money wired from the US, found out his wife's daughter and husband, who were given custody of the account, had spent all the money. He was in Tonga without the $$ to get back.

A hurricane struck, and damaged his boat. Another boat owned by a wealthy man rammed his boat, so he was stranded.

He wired a friend to get money to fly back with his wife, and left his boat in the south Pacific. The wealthy man agreed to repair his boat, and did. He eventually got a job, and he was a good engineer, so his employer agreed as part of the job package to transport his repaired boat back to US.

I have no desire for a boat, but like occasionally going out in friend's boats, it is a blast if you don't own it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So do you know of other areas where more money doesn't purely increase level of happiness?

Audio

EDIT: I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek as most members/mods here have systems that I could never dream of owning. The point is...I enjoy my setup just as much

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a biggie:

Trophy Wives!

Then again I've yet to see an unhappy sultan.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a good one Jack. :)

Just watching morning TV and they had a tour of Michael Jackson's Neverland. Didn't realize it was 3,000 acres! They said it used to have 120 employees to manage it! Apparently down to 30 now. Seems like we need to add big properties and lots of land to the list of things here.

We have 7 acres at our vacation house and I had to buy a Kubota full bore tractor to mow and maintain the thing. With a riding mower it would take 8 to 14 hours to mow it and was super uncomfortable to boot in the rain and such. The tractor does it in 3-4 hours with its 60 inch mower deck. The weeding//edge trimming takes forever. Bought a self-propelled TroyBilt string trimmer and while it helped, the properly is so long where it runs out of gas and then I have to go and bring the can gas to it. Still, we love the place but boy, I wish I could hire at least one person to live on it to maintain it.

Steve, you better not say again that the above is an embarrassment of riches/diseases of well-to-do or I would remind you of how much you paid for your amps :D.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
or a Demi Moore Boy Toy style trucker hat? ;) ;)

Here's another. Fancy Fishing Equipment.

Nothing more embarrassing than going home with an empty cooler while your tour guide hauls in 80lbs worth using a hook, line and a pair of gloves, GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I get it.... You guys are jealous you don't have one of these parked in your driveway, err, shed.

:D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Did someone say fishing??? Boy does that belong to this list. The value of fish I have caught won't even show up as a decimal point relative to cost of all the gear I have bought to make up for my lousy skills!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a combination of what lack of skill and too much money can get you. I think it also ties up expensive cars and expensive boats ;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Money can allow you to own more "stuff" and then the "stuff" can end up owning you. Do I go to the lake and use my boat or do I stay home and use my theater or do I get in my expensive car and drive it or ...... or ..... or....

I was there once. Glad I'm not any more!

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
When we moved into this quaint village within a city, we had the choice of buying a 11,500 square foot house, or the one we eventually bought, a mere 3,000 square foot house. The interiors were both beautiful, when restored. The bigger one boasts a sub ground floor ball room with maple floor suspended by springs. When we saw it, there wasn't a curtain anywhere. Being a muralist, I envisioned the ceiling.... on my back. The stage in a rounded window begged for a Steinway. There were the usual cracked plaster, and peeling wall paper that came with any of these old houses, times thousands.

We chose the smaller house. After all you can only live in one room at a time. We rent apartments in New York City when we go there. These multi-million dollar apartments are half the size of our house, but oh the neighborhood!

We did not move into this neighborhood for just the houses. We moved in because there were ma and pa grocery stores, 5 star restaurants, night life, tree shrouded streets, beautiful very old houses, community togetherness, etc... It is all just a block away any direction.

It is an example how you can greatly increase your standard of living just by being there. Another example is our last house perched on the top of a ridge in the Sierra foothills. This time there wasn't another house visible in any direction. The river below had beautiful swimming holes. A dam built to catch silt from the hydraulic mines provided a wonderful waterfall and sinuous lake. We didn't own any of it, but we did get to use it all.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Amir, that's not an issue with 7 acres of land, it's an issue with 7 acres of lawn! You need some woods, rocks, meadow....

P

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, when we move there permanently, we hope to have some animals grazing and eating the stuff! :) It is just naturally occurring grass land. We didn't plant it for sure. That, and a billion dandelion mixed in.

We are into organic gardening and our well is right below the land so poisons are not an option either to kill the stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing