Anyone try the new Shunyata PS8 power strip?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Presently for all of my front end gear I am using a Triton/Typhon combination spiked on the Shunyata SSF. I have an Anaconda PC from wall to Triton and an Anaconda umbilical from Typhon to Typhon. I have an Alpha Digital PC from my Playback Designs to my Triton.

Steve, for your Triton/Typhon, do you stack them? If so, is the Typhon on top using it's rubber feet or more SSF spikes? I'd like to stack mine, free up some shelf space but I found having my Typhon on it's own shelf was preferable...but I was just using the stock feet vs the SSF spikes...Thanks

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am planning on writing my impressions with the gear as soon as I find some spare time

So far (I say that as I plan on switching to all Shunyata power cords and signal and speaker cables) I believe that an all Shunyata system based on what I am hearing in my system is the path that I am going to take

Presently for all of my front end gear I am using a Triton/Typhon combination spiked on the Shunyata SSF. I have an Anaconda PC from wall to Triton and an Anaconda umbilical from Typhon to Typhon. I have an Alpha Digital PC from my Playback Designs to my Triton.

For my amps I did was Caelin calls the Lunatic Fringe wherein I use two Typhons each using an Anaconda Umbilical from wall to Typhon. Each Typhon is plugged into the AC duplex of each of my Lamm monoblocks. Each Typhon is spiked with the Shunyata SSF
TBH I was not prepared for what I heard and have been trying to wrap my thoughts around it. The most noteworthy improvement was how the music took on a life of its own, to the point of sounding like the real thing. I believe on the Shunyata website it is called the "plasma"of the music. My sound floor is virtually nonexistent

Only thing missing (as suggested by Caelin) is to put an venom defender in parallel to the Python / Lamm circuit. For this, you would need to replace the duplex with a quadplex and plug the defender in outlet 3.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, for your Triton/Typhon, do you stack them? If so, is the Typhon on top using it's rubber feet or more SSF spikes? I'd like to stack mine, free up some shelf space but I found having my Typhon on it's own shelf was preferable...but I was just using the stock feet vs the SSF spikes...Thanks

I stack them and have tried Typhon on top initially but settled on the Triton on top for no other reason than easier accessibility. There was no difference in sound between stacking in either way.I do use 2 pair of the Shunyata SSF. Grant was interested in some feedback on that issue because from what I understand I am reportedly amongst the first to try it this way (IOW the SSF from the Triton sitting on top of the Typhon. I do use the metal plugs supplied. I can say that there was a big difference between using the stock feet and their SSF. so much so that with the two Typhons in the front I use SSF under each.

Steve Williams

John

your room is so much larger than mine that you can use them placed on thier own shelf. I ran out of land in my room and stack them on a second Zoethecus stand with slate shelves. The SSF made a very big difference and there is no problem using the metal plugs with them other than they are a bear to get the spikes into at least for my big hands. I found that where the SSF screws into., I found it difficult to get my hand under to get the spike seated on the metal plug

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I am planning on writing my impressions with the gear as soon as I find some spare time

So far (I say that as I plan on switching to all Shunyata power cords and signal and speaker cables) I believe that an all Shunyata system based on what I am hearing in my system is the path that I am going to take

For my amps I did was Caelin calls the Lunatic Fringe wherein I use two Typhons each using an Anaconda Umbilical from wall to Typhon. Each Typhon is plugged into the AC duplex of each of my Lamm monoblocks. Each Typhon is spiked with the Shunyata SSF
TBH I was not prepared for what I heard and have been trying to wrap my thoughts around it. The most noteworthy improvement was how the music took on a life of its own, to the point of sounding like the real thing. I believe on the Shunyata website it is called the "plasma"of the music. My sound floor is virtually nonexistent

Thanks for the information.

Your SR dealer must be a very happy camper.;-)

Steve Williams

Only thing missing (as suggested by Caelin) is to put an venom defender in parallel to the Python / Lamm circuit. For this, you would need to replace the duplex with a quadplex and plug the defender in outlet 3.

IMO just not necessary as I have two Typhons with Anaconda umbilicals (not PC) one in each AC duplex each on SSF

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Time to update your member's gallery thread with some new pics Stevie. :)

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Plugged a Venom Defender into my PLC (SCA 5.0SE) today, the soundstage collapsed in all directions and the air and overtones went MIA.

Pulled it out and everything came back.

Maybe it needs break in, plugged it into an outlet where my FryCorder is working on a new PC.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Plugged a Venom Defender into my PLC (SCA 5.0SE) today, the soundstage collapsed in all directions and the air and overtones went MIA.

Pulled it out and everything came back.

Maybe it needs break in, plugged it into an outlet where my FryCorder is working on a new PC.

This is typical out of the box sound. It needs a couple days for burn-in.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
This is typical out of the box sound. It needs a couple days for burn-in.

Thanks.

I let it burn-in for a week.

I didn't hear any improvement, so gave it back to my dealer.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Caelin recommended to plug in a defender in parallel with the Typhon - I am looking at the exact same application.

edorr,

I am sending you a message since we are both in the Atlanta suburbs.

Steve Williams

Time to update your member's gallery thread with some new pics Stevie. :)

Hopefully this week Jack. Just need some time. The two Typhons are so hidden in the front behind my amps and in front of the front wall that the only way to see them and the Anaconda umbilicals is to stand over them

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have a PS8 without the Defender and have it plugged into my Triton and connected with a 20A Cobra. I am using it as an outlet extender for some of my low current pieces since my Triton outlets are full. It is hard to tell its impact (which I believe is none) because it sounds the same as if the devices were plugged directly into the Triton. I think all of the recent discussion about the impact of a Typhon on amps has somewhat overshadowed the incredible impact that Triton has on the front end. We should remember that the Triton was an important component of Caelin's reference distribution system before he broke it into a Triton and Typhon.

I do agree that my Spectral 260 does sound better plugged directly into the wall via a Python than it did into the Triton. However, instead of buying a Typhon for the amp, I bought two more Anaconda PC's to replace the Pythons on my amp and preamp and am having some dedicated 20A circuits installed.

Steve Williams

Caelin recommended to plug in a defender in parallel with the Typhon - I am looking at the exact same application.

I am quite happy with what I have now with the two Typhons and am not planning to change from a duplex to a quad for each amp

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am quite happy with what I have now with the two Typhons and am not planning to change from a duplex to a quad for each amp

Two thoughts:

Unless you have upstream surge protection at the panel, your poweramps are now unprotected.
You spend close to 5 figures for power conditioning / cabling for each channel - why not spend another $300 (quadplex + defender) to go all the way?

May be Caelin can weigh in. Caelin did you recommend the defender just for surge protection or for sonic benefits?

Irrespectively - I'll let you know if there is an audible impact on adding / removing a defender in the typhon / poweramp circuit once I'm all set up and burned in (probably around Xmas)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Some quick thoughts two weeks in on the PS8 with Defender:

**Very clear, open sound all around. Convinced the noise floor has dropped significantly.
**Much more bass out of the 1.7s now. Really fantastic.
**Lots of detail on guitar recordings. I was listening to Paul Simon's first solo effort and the guitars were so natural.
**Got some decent hours (20-30 maybe?) on the Defender and it does sound a little better with the Defender in the outlet panel.
**My classical recordings (mostly cello/violin/piano) sound very close to the live performance.
**Note on break-in. It seems we had a nice jump in quality from Week 1 to Week 2.

Overall, this product has exceeded my fairly high expectations. Seems every time a plug in a Shunyata cable or device the sound gets better. Not too shabby.

Thanks Caelin and team.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Here is the complete review I did on another forum in case anyone is interested.

About three weeks ago I received the Shunyata PS8, their entry level power strip which becomes a line conditioner on par with a Hydra when you plug in the Defender, a circuit with 30 filters embedded. In addition to the Defender, I received a Venom HC which is the 20 amp 10 gauge version of the Venom cord and one that had been specifically designed to connect the power strip to the wall. The outlet is an Oyaide GX+ I received from Tonepub connected to a 10 gauge Romex dedicated line to the switch box. This device replaced a Monster Cable HTS-5000 I had used before and had been out of the system for about a month. I also ordered the Stainless Steel Feet option (SSF) which look gorgeous although I do not have the desire to remove them to hear any sonic effect.

Shunyata recommends putting in around 5 full days of burn-in (running a fan) which I did but really only got to serious listening after two weeks of use. I did notice big changes immediately and then a nice increase after the first week. Once I had a handle on that, I plugged in the Defender at the outlet (per Shunyata recommendation) and so we have two weeks of use on the Defender. The Defender was a little grainy sounding at first then smoothed out, just as Shunyata said would be the case.

Fit and Finish: As one might expect from a $700 power strip ;) this is exceptionally well made. Fine parts from Hubbell cryo'ed outlets to better IEC connector. You have to see the stainless/brushed aluminum look in person. It's very beautiful for a power conditioner. The Venom HC is beefy and well made with beautiful semi-clear connectors on the end. The build quality is simply A+, particularly at this price point.

Bottom Line on Sound Quality: This is an amazing device which dramatically lowered the noise floor of my system. As a result I can hear more of everything. It also cleaned up some hashy sounding noise in the high frequency area which I would hear on certain digital tracks. Some detailed observations, most of which stem from the lower noise floor:

**Very clear, open sound all around. Convinced the noise floor has dropped significantly.
**Much more bass out of the 1.7s now. Really fantastic. Although my speakers don't go below 42hz, this is more than I have been hearing.
**Imaging seems to have improved. On some tracks where there is distant percussion, it now seem more solid.
**Pacing seems better. Things feel a little more "lively" but not in a hifi way, more natural.
**Lots of detail on guitar recordings. I was listening to Paul Simon's first solo effort and the guitars were so natural.
**My classical recordings (mostly cello/violin/piano) sound closer to the live performance.

I hope those of you considering this device will find this review helpful. Note that sometimes MusicDirect will offer up package deals with a little bit of a discount.

Overall, this product has exceeded my fairly high expectations. Seems every time a plug in a Shunyata cable or device the sound gets better. Not a bad record of performance.

P.S. Today I am listening to the Dialoghi CD from Yarlung Records. There is definitely more weight to Elinor Frey's cello on the Bach Suite No. 1. The lower noise floor is a real asset.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing