Anyone Familiar With The PCMCIA Slot In The Mercedes Comand System?

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I bought a 6 in 1 adapter to use in my C300. The adapter supports the SDHC cards and I was thinking about getting a 32gb card to use with the adapter.

The literature in the Mercedes owners manual seems a bit confusing to me, but I think the PCMCIA slot will only support MP3, WMA and ACC formats. I'm not sure that any one of these formats is actually "better" than the other, but the literature does indicate that files should be saved at the highest possible bit rate. I asked this question on another forum and would like to ask it here: Is there some point at which high bit rates tend to overcome the compression limitations of MP3, WMA, AAC, etc.?

If anyone on the forum has a Benz with this feature I would be interested to hear what your view of it is.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes. The preferred encoding format is VBR at max quality. VBR stands for variable bit rate meaning it will keep the quality constant and let the data rate fluctuate. This generates files that are about 25% of the original file size or half the size of lossless files. In the past, the non-PC players could not reliably play such files but these days they have much faster processors so it is not an issue.

If VBR mode is not supported, then select 320 kbps. This so called CBR mode (the default mode for lossy compression) keeps the bit rate constant at the expense of quality. At 320 kbps though, the degradation is very mild. If these stutter too then you can progressively lower the bit rate until they play. But hopefully VBR works.

As to codecs, I am partial to WMA since my group developed it :). But AAC is also an excellent choice. At 320 kbps both of them should sound exceptionally good. I would avoid MP3 though as it is less efficient than both of these.

I don't have a Mercedes but my Land Rover plays VBR WMA and it sounds very nice.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Thanks Amir. The system doesn't support VBR, but I have been encoding files at 320kbps. I'm doing a few albums in each format just to see if I can tell any differences.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing