anybody seen this article? - Vinyl's great, but it's not better than CDs -

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I actively listen to both mediums. Why does it have to be either / or with some people?

Good question. I listen to both regularly too. Many people can't be bothered with analog and couple that with the fact that digital is so 'superior' to analog, you can feel smug about your decision at the same time.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Good question. I listen to both regularly too. Many people can't be bothered with analog and couple that with the fact that digital is so 'superior' to analog, you can feel smug about your decision at the same time.
Still, overwhelmingly the most common opinion posted on audiophile boards and websites is that vinyl is (overwhelmingly) superior...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Still, overwhelmingly the most common opinion posted on audiophile boards and websites is that vinyl is (overwhelmingly) superior...

It may be, but it doesn't change the fact that many digital lovers loathe anything analog and whip out their laundry list of analog sins whenever the conversation about why some people prefer analog starts up.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I have a LampizatOr Level 4 DAC coming in for review and it may be here tomorrow. This should be a higher quality DAC than my Mytek Stereo 192 which I think sounds fabulous with DSD material. We will see if my opinions change about PCM with this DAC.
I thought you had maxed out on your equipment spending? Since you posted that new speaker cables weren't going to be in the picture for a while, you've bought a new preamp and now perhaps a new DAC? So are you thinking about different speaker cables yet? ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I thought you had maxed out on your equipment spending? Since you posted that new speaker cables weren't going to be in the picture for a while, you've bought a new preamp and now perhaps a new DAC? So are you thinking about different speaker cables yet? ;)

I had to stretch a little further and get the REF 5SE. And no, I'm not buying the LampizatOr Level 4 DAC, it's coming here for review. I'm trying to sell my MIT S1.3 10' biwire speaker cables and so far no luck. Do you have some cables in mind that you think I should be looking at?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As you know, there are lots of good cables out there at a multitude of price points. The hard-to-answer question is which ones work best with your amp & speakers. We already know NOLA's opinion.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As you know, there are lots of good cables out there at a multitude of price points. The hard-to-answer question is which ones work best with your amp & speakers. We already know NOLA's opinion.

True, but I damn sure can't afford $40k of Nordost speaker cables like Carl uses. The only other cables Carl recommends if you can't buy at least Valhalla level Nordost is his own Blue Thunder speaker cables which are relatively cheap.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From the quote in the post right above yours, it appears they were tapes made by the researchers, on a Nak DR-3 deck with Dolby B, of the music students also taking part in the listening tests. But I haven't read the paper so I may not have the exact info.

Yes - they made their own recordings for the tests.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
True, but I damn sure can't afford $40k of Nordost speaker cables like Carl uses. The only other cables Carl recommends if you can't buy at least Valhalla level Nordost is his own Blue Thunder speaker cables which are relatively cheap.

What is the opinion of Carl about the old Nordost Tyr? Some people in this forum thought highly about it, and it can be bought used for very nice prices.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What is the opinion of Carl about the old Nordost Tyr? Some people in this forum thought highly about it, and it can be bought used for very nice prices.

I have no idea what Carl thinks about the Nordost Tyr. He just told me that if I couldn't afford to buy at least Nordost Valhalla speaker cables to just buy his.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I had to stretch a little further and get the REF 5SE. And no, I'm not buying the LampizatOr Level 4 DAC, it's coming here for review. I'm trying to sell my MIT S1.3 10' biwire speaker cables and so far no luck. Do you have some cables in mind that you think I should be looking at?

LoL

After you hear it, I can see you mentally scheming to see how a L7 can be fiscally justified...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
LoL

After you hear it, I can see you mentally scheming to see how a L7 can be fiscally justified...

The LampizatOr DAC has arrived. Fed Ex just delivered it. I have to download some software for Windows. Hopefully I won't have to do anything in Foobar. I will get it up and running tomorrow hopefully.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Cool map.

Enjoy. I am a Mac guy, so cant help you with PC audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing