May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm old.
Most of my vinyl is old.
I like it like that!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Probably not a surprise that this thread was closed within 2 days at SH Forums (and I didn't even bother posting!)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Add this to the rather lengthy list of what Ezra Klein doesn't know $*#& about!

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
'Perfect sound forever' lives on! Yet another article extolling the technical superiority of the CD. The technical superiority of CD has rarely been questioned. I think it fair to say that all of us, from the very beginning, hoped and expected that CD would better vinyl. The disappointment with CD was subjective, not objective. Something just wasn't right about the sound of CD. We now know that technical factors unique to digital audio, such as jitter, are largely to blame. So, finally, after 30 years, the subjective sound quality gap between CD and vinyl has greatly closed, IMHO.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Both vinyl and digital have their places, the same with DSD and PCM in high rez audio. For me, I prefer high rez digital vs. LPs, provided they are well mastered. lets hope that the record companies continue to put out releases in all formats so that you can choose what you prefer. However, the handwriting is on the wall for CDs as I can forsee a day in the next couple of years when downloads, whether MP3, PCM or DSD will be all that is available outside of LPs. LPs will continue to be a small section of the market for recorded music.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The thing that I get a kick out of is that many of us that have good LP setups also have good digital setups and listen to both regularly. We know the differences we hear between the formats and if we thought that CDs sounded better than our LPs we would have all given up long ago on LPs. I can and do listen for hours sometimes to my DSD files, but I can't say the same about PCM no matter if it's hi-rez or not. The point is that we haven't come to the conclusions we have blindly.

I have a LampizatOr Level 4 DAC coming in for review and it may be here tomorrow. This should be a higher quality DAC than my Mytek Stereo 192 which I think sounds fabulous with DSD material. We will see if my opinions change about PCM with this DAC.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, I guess that settles that.

People preferred digital to second generation cassette Dolby B tapes obtained from a master Dolby B cassette in ambiguous playback conditions. IMHO it does not represent professional CD versus vinyl.

I have now read the original paper published at the Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education. IMHO the use of this paper to support this article about vinyl is clearly abusive, particularly considering the issues the authors themselves raise about the interpretations of their work, as quoted in the attached excerpt. http://www.jstor.org/stable/i40013263

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 125

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And what was the source for the cassette tapes? Were they prerecorded cassettes?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
However, the handwriting is on the wall for CDs as I can forsee a day in the next couple of years when downloads, whether MP3, PCM or DSD will be all that is available outside of LPs. LPs will continue to be a small section of the market for recorded music.
I am less pessimistic. CD's are still the dominant media. If anything, I see cd's diversifying and improving, not dying out. New formats such as Platinum-SHM and Blue-spec are emerging, and new high resolution cutting methods. And there are billions of cd's in circulations. Me? I like to touch my media, read the artist's often moving and artistic liner notes & have an automatic archive copy sitting in a plastic sleeve. I'm more than happy to continue to collect high quality cd's, though eventually I will eventually transfer my library onto some kind of server for convenience.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
And what was the source for the cassette tapes? Were they prerecorded cassettes?

From the quote in the post right above yours, it appears they were tapes made by the researchers, on a Nak DR-3 deck with Dolby B, of the music students also taking part in the listening tests. But I haven't read the paper so I may not have the exact info.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The thing that I get a kick out of is that many of us that have good LP setups also have good digital setups and listen to both regularly. We know the differences we hear between the formats and if we thought that CDs sounded better than our LPs we would have all given up long ago on LPs. I can and do listen for hours sometimes to my DSD files, but I can't say the same about PCM no matter if it's hi-rez or not. The point is that we haven't come to the conclusions we have blindly.

I have a LampizatOr Level 4 DAC coming in for review and it may be here tomorrow. This should be a higher quality DAC than my Mytek Stereo 192 which I think sounds fabulous with DSD material. We will see if my opinions change about PCM with this DAC.

Does the L4 you will demo have a DSD module? Lampi DSD is off the chain!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
From the quote in the post right above yours, it appears they were tapes made by the researchers, on a Nak DR-3 deck with Dolby B, of the music students also taking part in the listening tests. But I haven't read the paper so I may not have the exact info.

For once, I believe you are right! :D Seriously, this begs the next question which is what was the source material used to make the tape?

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I actively listen to both mediums. Why does it have to be either / or with some people?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing