Anybody rebuilding their ULD-15 sub?

Crazy Steve

Nov 18, 2019
New guy here, found this forum through Seaton Sound...

Ok, my problem. My loved Velodyne ULD15 died recently. Not an electronics issue, the rubber surround gave up the ghost from what I assume was age. Being retired since purchase and now on a fixed income, swallowing the cost of a new sub of comparable performance looks like it may be a bit tough. With Velodyne all but out of the sub business (and certainly no factory service being available) I did attempt a replacement surround, but the only one I could find was a cloth replacement. But it seems the changed cone response has hopelessly confused the 'correction' circuit, it now makes random boomy noises at anything much above a 'background' volume level. This ain't gonna get it...

Soooo... living in a rural area, it's a long pull to go anywhere to audition replacements (Seattle is several hours away). The usual 'net searches give up many reviews, although many are mail-order only sellers. The SVS SB16 gets generally good reviews, but I really don't care for the color choices or rather the lack of them (a very Henry Ford-like 'you can have any color you want as long as it's black'... a all-too-common choice) and they have had some issues with their amps. I can afford a SVS cosmetic 'second' and re-veneer it to match the rest of my system, but I don't care for or need all the whiz-bang features... I think. I'll note here that this is strictly for a stereo music system, no HT involved, so musicality is more desired over just 'punch', although I do want the presence of flat response down to 20 Hz. My music tastes run to '60s/70s rock so given the recording limitations of the era, there's not much if any info much below that.

So anyway, in my searches Seaton Sound came up. Good feedback from owners, a decided lack of bells and whistles although the costs are more than a bit above my current budget. But then I came across his MFW-15 Turbo kit. At $900, well within my price target, right size driver but difference in enclosure size as well as ported vs sealed and down firing vs front firing makes me wonder if this is a viable fix. I am also concerned about amp 'calibration' because of these differences, although there appears to be some 'adjustability' in the amp controls. But is there enough?

So I'm looking for real-world experience or at least informed opinions. Alternative subs? Or maybe a more 'generic' replacement driver/amp combo? My budget is $2K, although I could do more but it will take more months of saving up.

I'll also note my listening/living room is 20'x20', 8' ceiling with the system on the one unbroken wall (no windows/doors/openings). And no place to put a second sub, so I'm sticking with a single.

Any help appreciated….

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Crazy Steve

Nov 18, 2019
They didn't have that available when I did my repair (out of stock at the time?).... I'll give 'em a call. Although I'm still wondering about the driver/correction electronics. I ran into more than a few of these for sale used after being repaired like mine, they didn't sound right either. It was a cheap repair, I figured it was worth a shot. With a rubber surround, it may be worth another try...

What I've got sure isn't working....

Thanks!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I do like my Velodyne 18 very much. There was a comment about the cement used for attachment. I would think the buna rubber surrounds would work well as long as this replacement is like the OEM spec original. Good luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing