Announcement from Music Matters Jazz

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Music Matters Jazz Extended Release Schedule (2012-2013)
Dear Subscribers,
If you can't get enough of a great thing then we've got terrific news. As we proudly prepared to wrap up the Music Matters Blue Note reissue series we made one last trip to EMI's tape vault. After 88 outstanding releases, and with a serious note of gratitude for our immense good fortune to have worked with these tapes, we were awed to fine more great "must do" titles, historically important sessions from top-tier artists that have never been properly reissued. So we approached EMI to extend our series and they graciously agreed.

This summer we'll be working hard to make sure that these gems live up to Music Matters' highest production standards, and then we'll begin releasing these remarkable additional titles on September 3rd.

(1.) MMBST-84170 Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
(2.) MMBST-84147 Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions
(3.) MMBST-84166 Joe Henderson - In 'N Out
(4.) MMBST-84008 Horace Silver - Finger Poppin'
(5.) MMBST-84187 Larry Young - Into Somethin!
(6.) MMBST-84205 Pete LaRoca - Basra
(7.) MMBST-84279 Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child
(8.) MMBST-84092 Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland - The Golden Eight
(9.) MMBLP-1518 Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers
(10.) MMBST-84159 Andrew Hill - Judgment!
(11.) MMBST-84401 Hank Mobley Quintet - The Feelin's Good
(12.) MMGXF-3058 Grant Green - Gooden's Corner
(13.) MMBST-84109 Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

We've got original master tapes, incredible studio and session photography, and the titles above certainly speak for themselves, an amazing Baker's Dozen that will bring our Blue Note series to 101 titles in all. We've put up information and title notes for the first six here.

If you want these records we'll continue to ship two records each release, though these remaining titles will be stretched to two albums every six weeks - but I promise, they'll be worth the wait. If, for any reason, you don't wish to receive these titles as part of your subscription, then just contact us to opt out and your subscription will end in June with title #88, Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil.

Our sincere thanks to you, our loyal subscribers, for helping to make this series the great success it has been. We could not have done it without you, and we hope you'll stay on board for another year of incredible music.

And with that in mind, we're pleased to share the latest review from "All About Jazz" for our April release of Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles. That says it all!
The Music Matters Team
www.musicmattersjazz.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Myles. Some good titles there...what are your thoughts on the quality of their remasters?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks, Myles. Some good titles there...what are your thoughts on the quality of their remasters?

Excellent. The best. Own every one and then a few.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks, Myles! Good to know.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What are your Top 5 in the first go-around on these?

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
I'm glad we have some more to look forward to, although I'm gonna miss it when it's all said and done. Being a subscriber I've tried my best to encourage the series to go on and on. I've never seen a better product and the same goes for the folks at Music Matters.

I would love to see the Music Matters treatment on other Jazz titles/labels. They certainly would have my full support. Not sure how others feel about this, but maybe enough people could persuade Ron and the others to consider it. They have put together such a fine series it would be a shame to see this fade away.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
What are your Top 5 in the first go-around on these?

Hey John, I'd say the best titles would be the artist or style you enjoy most. Even though there are titles in this series that aren't my cup of tea I can honestly say the sound quality is better than what has been available otherwise.

Have you ever had the chance to check any of these out in person?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm glad we have some more to look forward to, although I'm gonna miss it when it's all said and done. Being a subscriber I've tried my best to encourage the series to go on and on. I've never seen a better product and the same goes for the folks at Music Matters.

I would love to see the Music Matters treatment on other Jazz titles/labels. They certainly would have my full support. Not sure how others feel about this, but maybe enough people could persuade Ron and the others to consider it. They have put together such a fine series it would be a shame to see this fade away.

I wish someone would dive into the Columbia jazz vaults. Great music and damn good sound, unlike their classical counterparts.

Also, Chad only touched the tip of the iceberg of the Impulse jazz label. There are many great titles he didn't touch!

It'll be interesting to see what ORG does with the Black Lion titles.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
I wish someone would dive into the Columbia jazz vaults. Great music and damn good sound, unlike their classical counterparts.

Also, Chad only touched the tip of the iceberg of the Impulse jazz label. There are many great titles he didn't touch!

It'll be interesting to see what ORG does with the Black Lion titles.

Agree, even though there doesn't seem to be a demand for Louis Armstrong now, I would like to see a number of his albums get an audiophile re-do. Maybe a lil Bix... I could think of a whole mix match of titles that would make me happy. I'd be happy to get some Stan Getz from Clef/Norgran. Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group, Oktav 111. I'd like to see some EmArcy titles, Bethlehem, Ad Lib, Riverside, Pacific Jazz, more Impulse, etc...

I'm not sure how the re-issue business works, but I would love to be able to cherry pick a number of albums from various labels.

I was gonna subscribe to the Black Lion Series & should look into it again since all my other subscriptions have stalled. Wonder if the first 250 are spoken for yet.... They started coming out on the 15th if I remember correctly, any thoughts on or seen any feedback?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Agree, even though there doesn't seem to be a demand for Louis Armstrong now, I would like to see a number of his albums get an audiophile re-do. Maybe a lil Bix... I could think of a whole mix match of titles that would make me happy. I'd be happy to get some Stan Getz from Clef/Norgran. Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group, Oktav 111. I'd like to see some EmArcy titles, Bethlehem, Ad Lib, Riverside, Pacific Jazz, more Impulse, etc...

I'm not sure how the re-issue business works, but I would love to be able to cherry pick a number of albums from various labels.

I was gonna subscribe to the Black Lion Series & should look into it again since all my other subscriptions have stalled. Wonder if the first 250 are spoken for yet.... They started coming out on the 15th if I remember correctly, any thoughts on or seen any feedback?

The only Black Lion I've heard were on Pure Pleasure Records. The were OK. Did hear some tapes a while back but there were some issues that complicated things.

I don't think the ORG/Black Lion LPs are available yet. Soon come.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
The only Black Lion I've heard were on Pure Pleasure Records. The were OK. Did hear some tapes a while back but there were some issues that complicated things.

Just checked the website, the deluxe subscription is what I was thinking about, started on the 21st. Have to think about this series some more...

You know while I'm thinking about it, I would like to see some Charlie Parker. The Dial series might not be up to an audiophile re-issue, have a Japanese CD boxset of the dial albums, but...

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio

Took the plunge on the ORG Black Lion deluxe subscription, will see how it goes...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The last couple of MusicMatters releases prior to the upcoming hiatus are spectacular:

Grant Green "Street of Dreams"
Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The last couple of MusicMatters releases prior to the upcoming hiatus are spectacular:

Grant Green "Street of Dreams"
Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil"

Hi Jazdoc,

I have the RVG Remastered (24-bit onto CD) of Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil...have you compared to the Music Matters? Just curious how they compare. Thanks!!!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hi Jazdoc,

I have the RVG Remastered (24-bit onto CD) of Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil...have you compared to the Music Matters? Just curious how they compare. Thanks!!!

Sorry Lloyd, I don't have the CD to compare.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing