Analogue Productions vs. Mobile Fidelity?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Do these companies virtually do the same thing or are their goals different? Who has achieved better sonic results?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What do you think their goals are? Which do you think has the better sonic results?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I'm not quite sure I can recite either of their goals but I like what both are doing with SACD. The MFSL SACDs of Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, Stevie Ray Vaughn, James Taylor, Carole King, and others present well known titles in a new light. The remastering has less compression, bigger soundstage and images, and are better sounding than the original CD. Analogue Productions is also putting out excellent SACDs in classic rock and Jazz. On top of that, Analogue Productions has ventured out into hi-res downloads and DSD downloads and that is exciting if the results remain good.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I only have a few of the Mo-Fi LP reissues. I seem to never get excited about the recordings. I don't know if that's all they can do with the master tapes or something in their process. Or just the titles I choose..

The Analogue Productions are usually excellent...some are simply outstanding. I am sure I have over a 100....maybe 200 of these pressings...Their new Quality Record Pressings are VERY good. To rsorren1's point...they do tend to choose different musical genre's...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can't really comment with any degree of experience on the AP/QRP pressings as I only have a few, so I'll leave my thought as just....they're ok. In general I find the MFSL pressings quite nice, although a lot of them sound subdued and not as open as let's say my Classic Records, ORG or Pure Pleasure pressings. There are plenty of exceptions however.

I certainly wouldn't in any case forego a purchase because of the label. If it's an LP I want, then I'll buy it.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I already own a considerable number of both Analogue Productions and Mobile Fidelity SACD's. IMO they are consistently among the best in terms of SQ. And for what it's worth, to my ear, AP releases the best sounding pop and jazz SACD's. AP is also beginning to release classical albums, but I haven't heard any of those yet.

I'm not sure of the accuracy, but I've read posts on other forums the primary difference is AP remixes the source and MF retains the source mastering. I heard AP's Chad Kassem at RMAF 2011 say he doesn't produce an SACD without access to the original master.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing