An Open Letter to Audio Manufacturers -- Please stop listening room light pollution!

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I have a bone to pick with the high-end audio industry. No, it's not about escalating prices, fantastic marketing claims, or dead-end products that have no upgrade path. It's about the damned blue LEDs that you all seem to be so infatuated with!

I'm fortunate to have a very nice system which affords me an opportunity to sit back, relax, turn the lights off, and enjoy recorded music. Unfortunately, due to the layout of my room my equipment rack is located just to the left of my listening chair and, once the lights are out, I'm presented with a blue glare in the corner of my eye. Left unchecked there is almost enough light emanating from this sea of blue LEDs to read the newspaper. I fear that one more upgrade to my system will result in enough light to perform surgery or assemble a watch movement.

Seriously, this is getting out of control. During a normal listening session I have the following:

1) Volume display (two digits) on my preamp along with all of the status indicators
2) Then there's the 3 (very bright) LEDs on the phono preamp to tell me that the unit is powered OFF (oddly it produces less light when its powered on)
3) Finally, there's the backup for the Fox Searchlight that has been crammed into the Basis turntable motor controller.
4) Up front there's the glowing logos on the ML 53s. Fortunately, those are RED and I can dim them!

It seems like this all started about 12 years ago when the blue LED was "discovered" by the audio world. This wonderful invention was just what small manufacturers needed to make their products stand out in a sea of red and green LEDs. It was the dawn of a new era and blue was obviously the color of the new millennium!

Short of having my equipment modified the only solution that I've come up with is a combination of black electrical tape (the only thing that will tame the Basis) and Post-It notes.

I'm usually not one to b*tch and moan about little things like this, but for an industry that pays an inordinate amount of attention to the crystalline structure of copper wire I'm disappointed that the following logic was ignored.

1) Most audiophiles like to listen with the lights dimmed or the room completely dark.
2) Our eyes are most sensitive to blue / green colors in dark conditions so a tiny bit of blue light goes a long, long way.
3) Therefore, perhaps, the best color to use for an indicator which only serves a purpose during a very limited portion of the listening session is any color BUT blue!

Now I'm all for status indicators, but if the lights on my stereo can be seen from space then there's a real problem.

So, audio manufacturers, pretty please.... with sugar on top...

1) Choose indicators which are better suited for the environment in which your product will be used.
2) Provide some means (physical or electrical) of dimming those indicators
3) Ask yourself the question, "does this function REALLY need to illuminate another LED?"

... or ...

Please pay more attention to the ergonomics of your products. After all once the new and shiny aspect wears off we actually have to live with this stuff.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Excellent post... I would also like to add about noise pollution.

STOP PLAYING THE DAMN MUSIC SO LOUD!!!

Almost every room I went in at RMAF, the vendor had the music WAY too loud. The hardest thing for a speaker/system to reproduce is accurate music a lower levels. Show me that!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, AMP. Perhaps this can be seen as an opportunity. Create a product that shields excess [or all] light emanating from said LED's or at the very least, provide a pinpoint hole that can only be seen from certain angles away from the listening chair. Make the product to where it is small, does not harm or damage finishes and matches the greatest amount of gear available, regardless of finish. Just a thought.

My Dodd Audio pre has only 1 LED to show that it's on. It's very small and recessed into the faceplate to the point to where it is only visible from a 2-3" area. This is just an example of things that can be done to thwart your issue. Hope this helps and good luck.

Amen, Bruce!!! I can't tell you how many times the music....well, you know. It's a shame if you ask me.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Short of having my equipment modified the only solution that I've come up with is a combination of black electrical tape (the only thing that will tame the Basis) and Post-It notes.

Unfortunately, the guy I bought my Krell KPE Reference phono section did just that with the LED on the front of the KPE and now I have a discolaration in the metal I can't seem to clean. Too bad because other than that, this phono section is in mint shape as I bought it from the original owner and he kept great care of it except for taping over the blue LED that drove him nuts too. He did disclose this before I bought it so I don't have any bitch with him about it.

I personally found the MAC C-2300 preamp with it's multi-colored lights to be way too much on the eyes even though some others love it. Too many shades of blue and green for me.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think a simple dimmer control for the front panel lights is a good solution. It could be a dial on the front or top panels or it could be in the unit's set-up menu.

The blue LEDs on my Pass Labs XVR1 crossover are so bright, I use the cotton off a Q-Tip to block some of the light. I have since learned there are small stick on mylar disks that can be placed over them with your choice of optical density.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You can dim as well as turn off the LED on ARC products from the remote control

That's the way it should be with all components. A wonderful consumer-friendly option!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---I totally agree with you Amp. ...It's like they're putting neon lights under their cars! ...What for? Looks? Who cares, what we are truly concern about is SOUND QUALITY, and lights are just a big distraction from our electronics (all my gear is hidden behind a black veil; the components which I cannot dim totally their screen display windows; but still remotely controllable).
...Plus, lights are a source of noise contamination. ...We all know that.
Sooo, all you are doing is to truly show what you're made of; bright looks for attracting less than knowledgeable clienteles! And then you declare yourself as audiophile component's manufacturers! Gimme a break, and get your act together!

* Inside a car, enjoying driving hundred miles per hour and more, or just cruising; do you see those blue and purple and neon red lights under it and at its sides, front, and rear? Do you truly need a screen telling you how fast you go and all that jazz? ...At night while driving peacefully and enjoying life, I always turn off all the panel's instrumentations in my vehicules. ...Only the outside from beam lights and rear red lights are on. ...So that I can see where I go, and others can see my back. That's all what is truly necessary.
- With Audio you want the most purity accurately possible for the most pleasurable 'ride' on this side of acoustic.

And Bruce is right too; adjust the volume level to a pleasant 'ride' as well. ...This is not a WAR zone! It's supposed to be a peaceful place where emotions are in-check!
A heart attack is not something we're paying for! If we want that we go to the circus in the 'montagnes russes'. ...Right? :b

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've tried some different approaches to solving this problem, but all have proven ugly and most have proven inconvenient.

The Basis motor controller is, by far, the worst offender. There are three LEDs and one of those is on constantly. I'm assuming that this is to show that the unit has power. These are all rather large LEDs and appear to be run at full power. I've had OK luck covering them with multiple layers of masking tape to cut down some of the light emitted, but I don't want to mar the finish.... and it's just ugly. On the bright side he used standard LEDs with long leads and it would be possible to insert a resistor in series to dim the level.

The VTL 7.5 isn't as bad as the motor controller, but the volume display is very bright. Given all of the options that can be programmed into the 7.5 I'm surprised that there's no way to dim the display or turn it off altogether. It's a 2 digit LED readout behind a glass panel and I've considered removing the glass to have the back side of it tinted in order to cut down on the light output. I haven't looked into how it's all assembled, but that may be my only option there. The VTL TP-6.5 phono pre has a similar display that is lit with 3 dashes (-) when the unit is powered down! When in use the display (showing gain or loading) shuts off completely.

Fortunately, the displays on the Wadia pieces can be turned off completely.

I'm anxiously waiting for the release of the Levinson No. 52 preamp with the hope that its performance is commensurate with the level achieved in the No. 53 amplifiers. Even if it's simply equal to the VTLs I will likely switch as the Levinson has a red display that can be dimmed or completely deactivated.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Almost every room I went in at RMAF, the vendor had the music WAY too loud. The hardest thing for a speaker/system to reproduce is accurate music a lower levels. Show me that!

There are low listeners and there are high listeners. You can't breed a low listener with a high listener... the offspring will either turn it up until the system explodes or turn it down until you can't hear a thing.

High listeners congregate at hifi shows, low listeners usually stay at home.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Classe gear, can you fully dim the display's lights?

* Peter, I think you are right regarding the average type of listener who go to audio shows. ...They're high.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Peter. Whatever happened to proper listening levels? Too many events have the sound levels up past the threshold of good sound and while having a system that makes you want to turn it up is a great thing, this seems to be abused to the point of listening dis-pleasure at many of the audio events I have attended. In turn, this provides a disservice to those who are there to audition the gear. In many an instance, simply turning things down would simply make the experience pleasurable. The volume level can create or destroy any system. Quality over quantity, always. Well, at least in my book. YMMV.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry to interject at this point, but I think we're veering off-course here. The question was about a visual annoyance. If I had to deal with the situation that AMP faces, I would be annoyed as hell. Ok, so I usually close my eyes when listening critically or just want to be immersed in the audio, but having light distract you from the side when you don't must be somewhat infuriating. I'm surprised that more manufacturers haven't taken notice of the issue that was raised. Kudos to ARC for recognizing this, although there must be others.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, John. You are 100% correct. Back to our regularly scheduled program and please accept my apologies for an off topic post, AMP.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, John. You are 100% correct. Back to our regularly scheduled program and please accept my apologies for an off topic post, AMP.

Tom

Tom - No worries and no need to apologize as we've all done it.

My setup is plain and simple and straight ahead, so I don't suffer from any side distractions. And sometimes I enjoy having the lights on and just glancing at everything while I listen. The option to have lights dimmed or turned off is a feature that I think would be much appreciated by most.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

So true. Lots of loud rooms this year.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Ok, so I usually close my eyes when listening critically or just want to be immersed in the audio, but having light distract you from the side when you don't must be somewhat infuriating.

My setup is plain and simple and straight ahead, so I don't suffer from any side distractions.

To give you an idea of how bad it is I do quite a bit of listening with my eyes closed and the lights off. It's so bright that I can still see the glare even with my eyes closed!

Many years ago I had my system setup between the speakers and at that time it was similarly bad. I remember a Theta DAC and a Magnum Dynalab tuner which used to blind me from across the room.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I'm surprised that more manufacturers haven't taken notice of the issue that was raised. Kudos to ARC for recognizing this, although there must be others.

I would be remiss in calling out the industry without recognizing those who have put a little more thought into this.

Wadia allows for the deactivation of the displays on their players, transports, and DACs. In fact there's a convenient set of on/off buttons on the remote. When responding to a command the displays come back on and then shut off again. That's not to say that Wadia doesn't have some serious ergonomic issues, but from the standpoint of their displays they are pretty good.

Theta's newer gear is much better in this regard as well. My old GenVIII had several setup options to deal with the display.

Most of the Esoteric products I've used have been very good in this regard. I especially like the fact that the displays can be setup to run at full brightness when the component is responding to a command and then dim down to a very low level.

Aesthetix is pretty good, but I remember my Rhea phono stage having a strange LED behavior. I think that even though the displays could be dimmed when in use the standby LED was on at full brightness when the unit was powered down.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On my REL sub,there's a VERY bright blue LED. So much so, that the other night, one of my kids got scared when she noticed the glow was flickering around due to bouncing of the silver of the Nordost cables.
I told her this was done to prepare her for halloween:D

I think ARC got it right years ago, simple muted green LED's.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To give you an idea of how bad it is I do quite a bit of listening with my eyes closed and the lights off. It's so bright that I can still see the glare even with my eyes closed!

Many years ago I had my system setup between the speakers and at that time it was similarly bad. I remember a Theta DAC and a Magnum Dynalab tuner which used to blind me from across the room.

All it takes is a few lights, so yes I agree as I can sense the same at times. This may sound stupid, but perhaps you could make a panel of some sort to place in front of your gear that's easily moved and lightweight. It won't completely eliminate everything but should reduce the effect to a more acceptable level. Just sayin'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing