OverviewFormulaVideos

Search Results​

Main Results​

Featured snippet from the web​

Young's modulus - Wikipedia

Young's Modulus Formula and Example

What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus Calculator - EngineerExcel

Modulus of Elasticity - Definition, Young's Modulus, Formula ...

Physics - Young's modulus - University of Birmingham

The Young's modulus (E) is a property of the material that tells us how easily it can stretch and deform and is defined as the ratio of tensile stress (?) to tensile strain (?). Where stress is the amount of force applied per unit area (? = F/A) and strain is extension per unit length (? = dl/l).

Young's modulus - Physics - University of Birmingham​

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023
I recommend Townshend podiums for big amps. It isolates the amps from footfalls, speaker resonance, everything all the way down to 4 Hz. Most of the other isolation pucks and platforms don't isolate down that low, and it seems to me that the worst offending signal degrading vibrations are in the lowest frequencies. Townshend can make custom sized podiums.

If you want to experience the sort of difference the Townshends make, you can get cheap Nobsound springs and insert foam earplugs inside the springs, and use about 8 of those per amp. I've tried all manner of isolation springs, things, corks, coins, composites, pucks, maple, ebony, bamboo, blocks, spikes et al over the years and I've always had inconsistent results reflecting what seemed to be a give & take. The Townshend was a different ballpark for me. I don't have them on my Maggies-- the bass just fell apart and the sound lost all of its slam, but I'm buying more of these.

Reactions: ICUToo

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello!

My VTL amplifiers have spiked feet. Presently the spikes are sitting on Herbie wood slider discs.

IMG_6204.jpeg

I am moving the amplifiers to Adona amp stands.

When I move the amplifiers to the Adona amp stands should I place the spiked feet directly onto the granite platform of the amp stands, or should I place the spiked feet onto the Herbie discs which would then sit on the granite platform?
IMG_6205.jpeg

So should the spiked feet sit directly on the granite platform, or should they be disintermediated by the Herbie discs?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello!

My VTL amplifiers have spiked feet. Presently the spikes are sitting on Herbie wood slider discs.

View attachment 111068

When I move the amplifiers to the Adona amp stands should I place the spiked feet directly onto the granite platform of the amp stands, or should I place the spiked feet onto the Herbie discs which would then sit on the granite platform?
View attachment 111070

So should the spiked feet sit directly on the granite platform, or should they be disintermediated by the Herbie discs?

Thank you!

Try them both ways and stick with the one that sounds better.

Reactions: christoph

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Hello!

View attachment 111068

View attachment 111070

Thank you!
I feel too many tweaks will reduce the bass amount. Just a guess.

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023

Sexy looking rig, brothah. I've tried this before and had good results-- stomp on the floor in a few different places to try to see if you can get your tubes to ring a little while the amp is up on the new stand with Herbie discs. Then try stomping around without the discs and see if it's better or worse. I'll bet you a dollar it sounds better with them. Should be pretty easy to hear with those VTL amps.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Each amp weighs 200 pounds. I have to hire a two person crew to transfer the amps from the DIY stands to the Adona stands.

Swapping the Herbie discs in and out and in is not an option.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Each amp weighs 200 pounds. I have to hire a two person crew to transfer the amps from the DIY stands to the Adona stands.

Swapping the Herbie discs in and out and in is not an option.

Ron, my TT is 500 lbs and I can easily move it when lifting one side to insert sliders under each footer. I use a flat crowbar or thin jack and simply raise one side up 3/4” and slip them under the feet. It is easy. It takes a couple minutes. Where there is a will, there is a way. I did the same with my old 250 lb. speakers. The TT came with a 1” flat jack that can lift 2000 lbs. you should get one for $50 or so, but the crowbar with wood shims for protection works great too.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I don't know about the sonic effects. My inclination would be to but the spiked metal amp feet onto the granite assuming it is supported fully. Adona talks about not needing more than the 3 layers of their platform, so the Herbie cups add another layer in the Adona constrained layer design. Far as I know Herbie products claim some sort of isolation function to their products so possibly you'd be mixing solutions.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Ron, my TT is 500 lbs and I can easily move it when lifting one side to insert sliders under each footer. I use a flat crowbar or thin jack and simply raise one side up 3/4” and slip them under the feet. It is easy. It takes a couple minutes. Where there is a will, there is a way. I did the same with my old 250 lb. speakers. The TT came with a 1” flat jack that can lift 2000 lbs. you should get one for $50 or so, but the crowbar with wood shims for protection works great too.
psst.... not sooo loud, don't give high-end thieves another instruction. You understood Mr. Newton and you know how to do it.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
+1 on bamboo boards as a great cost effective option for hardwood… I’ve stacked these with 30mm and even better 45mm Carrara marble slabs to good effect… and of all of the stone I’ve tried Carrara marble seems to be a good balanced option when used in concert with a counteracting layer of hardwood or bamboo slab.

Though I’ve also been very intrigued more lately with Peter’s (@PeterA) use of a combination of both hardwood and thick polished stainless steel slab as an approach… it also seems to me a fairly striking and beautifully restrained visual outcome as well. Am much tempted to explore this down the track and perhaps follow suit.
What about the amp resting it’s feet on a slab of marble, that laying on the carpeted (wool and dense industrial underlay) wooden floor?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Ikea bambus with ssc big point feets sounds pretty good.
Sounds very precise in the bass, very nice open mids and highs

Ssc feets max weight four feets 160kg

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What about the amp resting it’s feet on a slab of marble, that laying on the carpeted (wool and dense industrial underlay) wooden floor?
That would've been an alternative to my DIY solution which I've been using since February. The Adona amp stand is modestly priced and seems competent.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know about the sonic effects. My inclination would be to but the spiked metal amp feet onto the granite assuming it is supported fully. Adona talks about not needing more than the 3 layers of their platform, so the Herbie cups add another layer in the Adona constrained layer design. Far as I know Herbie products claim some sort of isolation function to their products so possibly you'd be mixing solutions.
That is my inclination, also. Thank you.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Hello!

Thank you!
A platform made only of granite will have a resonance. So the usual rules won't apply since you are balancing one coloration against another due to microphonic effects.

In a nutshell this means try it both ways. If the platform lacked resonance, the points without the discs would be the method preferred.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A platform made only of granite will have a resonance. So the usual rules won't apply since you are balancing one coloration against another due to microphonic effects.

In a nutshell this means try it both ways. If the platform lacked resonance, the points without the discs would be the method preferred.

The Adona is a three layer platform: granite on top, walnut on the bottom, and some thin layer in between.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021

Attachments

• IMG_7812.jpeg
    IMG_7812.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing