American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMHO such long waiting times take away all spontaneity and most fun from reports.

What are you complaining about? I write my reports almost immediately. Kedar often does too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What are you complaining about? I write my reports almost immediately. Kedar often does too.

I am not complaining, I am posting my personnel opinion, triggered by your post and a particular case.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am sure Kedar listened to many, many component combinations and made many comparisons. I have a feeling this will be a pretty long report by Kedar. Let's give him time to get home, get back to his life in London and wait for his comprehensive thoughts.

5 carts, 3tts, 3 arms, 2 phonos, many classical records he brought plus a full box of terrific sounding mostly classical records that the Zerostargeneral picked for me to try. Four days of listening. 6 hours of listening per day on average. All classical music. That is a lot of writing if he wants to be very detailed. But I kicked him out at 4pm everyday except the first day. So he had plenty of time at the hotel writing in the evening..if not busy doing naughty stuff.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tang, our WBF discussions are about equipment at the highest level of this hobby. You are very likely the only person in the world who has assembled such a comprehensive collection of state-of-the-art vinyl playback components. Your system truly is a laboratory for conducting experiments and apples-to-apples comparisons which could be conducted literally no where else in the known universe.

I am sure Kedar's report and your continuing impressions will be fascinating to many!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
5 carts, 3tts, 3 arms, 2 phonos, many classical records he brought plus a full box of terrific sounding mostly classical records that the Zerostargeneral picked for me to try. Four days of listening. 6 hours of listening per day on average. All classical music. That is a lot of writing if he wants to be very detailed. But I kicked him out at 4pm everyday except the first day. So he had plenty of time at the hotel writing in the evening..if not busy doing naughty stuff.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hahahahah! Hilarious! :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ked suffers from the disease of fidelity! Can you take medicine against that ?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Kind regards,
Tang

Would you list some the classical music records picked for you to hear. TIA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, our WBF discussions are about equipment at the highest level of this hobby. You are very likely the only person in the world who has assembled such a comprehensive collection of state-of-the-art vinyl playback components. Your system truly is a laboratory for conducting experiments and apples-to-apples comparisons which could be conducted literally no where else in the known universe.

I am sure Kedar's report and your continuing impressions will be fascinating to many!

I just wish he could enjoy music more. This guy was relentless in finding out differences in sound of one equipment to another. When a box of vinyls from the General arrived, I left it unopened on my working table. I could just see him got relentless wanting to know what were inside and I knew he was gonna ask me to open it. So I told him no just to disappoint him for fun. When ddk was with me, we were just enjoying music and the sound of my system. He taught me the most valuable thing a vinylphile can have...that is how to tune a cart. It was very pleasant. We enjoyed time together talking about other things other than audio. But with Bonzo it was tiring. I didnt even finish a song with him. He just kept switching. His eagerness to find out and learn were more than 100%. He will report something like yesterday A sounded better than B but the next day B suddenly became much better than A. That is because when we switched arms/carts I had my tonearm guy do them. He did them very accurately and efficiently with modern cart setup tools, but not by ears. So what Bonzo heard right after arm/cart switch, the ooh ahh he had, were from something that werent optimized. I didnt want him to know how I tune my carts the ddk way so I left him listened to just that until the next day I came alone very early in the morning to do the setup trick I was taught. Then he really heard everything at optimum. Bonzo is very good at detecting identifying differences. I think he enjoys finding out gears strengths and weaknesses more than the music itself when listening to audio. And when he wants to really enjoy music he just goes listen to a real symphony.

Here is me and Bonzo.

2875E4AD-9DBA-4EC0-9C5E-A402CDA4D648.jpg

Here is Bonzo cueing the SME. (Look pretty awkwardly clumsy imo :D)

444771A9-4268-41BA-854C-F952BFFB5976.jpg

Tang

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Khun Jack. What are you laughing about? You must have that naughtyness in you too then ;).

Tang

I was naughty once upon a time LOL

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Kind regards,
Tang

He was playing in a very serious ping pong tournament in Patpong

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I just wish he could enjoy music more. This guy was relentless in finding out differences in sound of one equipment to another. When a box of vinyls from the General arrived, I left it unopened on my working table. I could just see him got relentless in wanting to know what were inside and I knew he was gonna ask me to open it. So I told him no just to disappoint him for fun. When ddk was with me, we were just enjoying music and the sound of my system. He taught me the most valuable thing a vinylphile can have...that is how to tune a cart. It was very pleasant. We enjoyed time together talking about other things other than audio. But with Bonzo it was tiring. I didnt even finish a song with him. He just kept switching. His eagerness to find out and learn were more than 100%. He will report something like yesterday A sounded better than B but the next day B suddenly became much better than A. That is because when we switched arms/carts I had my tonearm guy do them. He did them very accurately and efficiently with modern cart setup tools, but not by ears. So what Bonzo heard right after arm/cart switch, the ooh ahh he had, were from something that werent optimized. I didnt want him to know how I tune my carts the ddk way so I left him listened to just that until the next day I came alone very early in the morning to do the setup trick I was taught. Then he really heard everything at optimum. Bonzo is very good at detecting identifying differences. I think he enjoys finding out gears strengths and weaknesses more than the music itself when listening to audio. And when he wants to really enjoy music he just goes listen to a real symphony.

Here is me and Bonzo.

View attachment 44031

Here is Bonzo cueing the SME. (Look pretty awkwardly clumsy imo :D)

View attachment 44032

Tang

Hey Tang,

The only person who has truly managed to control Ked’s mad incessant tweaking / fiddling bug is the General lol. How do I put this - The General just dictates the state of play as any good general would ;)

That said I was reliably informed that he was “gripped” by excitement at the ping pong tournament and only auditioned for a while.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agreed. I’m curious, why does it take a month to write up a report?

All my reports are drafted on the day of the shootout and the journey (airport, plane, train). What takes time is resizing pics and uploading, because I hate that. So, the pics don't get uploaded for days, till I feel like doing them. I like writing, so I write.

The longer the journey, the faster the report, because writing, editing and restructuring gets done on the way, there is more dedicated time allotted automatically, instead of having to wait when the mood strikes.

My draft is all ready to be cut pasted on the way back now from Heathrow. But I am going straight to work. And weekend is to pay attention to my gf after time away. So it will just sit there till I do a spell check and upload with the pics

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Tang,

The only person who has truly managed to control Ked’s mad incessant tweaking / fiddling bug is the General lol. How do I put this - The General just dictates the state of play as any good general would ;)

That said I was reliably informed that he was “gripped” by excitement at the ping pong tournament and only auditioned for a while.

Yes but the General is closer so I can go back and forth, and the report will be up after many visits, and the Vyger compare will be done at Gian's.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes but the General is closer so I can go back and forth, and the report will be up after many visits, and the Vyger compare will be done at Gian's.

But I can assure you that you’ll not be able to tweak and fiddle with the General’s :eek:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I really get put off by not finishing songs or pieces and even most of the albums. This is the sole reason for not inviting many people from audiophile clubs or circles. When I was a student at university, we had a very big music conservatoire next to our design faculty. I had lots of friends from there as well as many other musicians from my days of being a musician. I love to listen music with them. They love listening whole pieces and albums and really "enjoy the music" with me. We turn off the lights, they do not ask questions about the equipment, but generally talk about sound and show love towards the timbrally correct, non fatiguing, dynamics sound. Over the years I found out most of my musician friends are keen on dynamics and timbre.

However Tang! your system is very inviting to do these thousand needle drops, so I can not say anything against Bonzo :) If one is interested in audio equipment (and we all are here to varying degrees), you have a very special place in the world. Best turntables, best arms and cartridges with matching incredible electronics. The speaker system would also be familiar sounding to me so it could mean a few crazy hours of test tracks even for me before settling to listen properly. A child like excitement would be expected for sure :) Congrats once more on beautiful equipment, clean layout and being a nice gentleman who puts his time to share these with fellow enthusiasts. The last videos about the cartridges were great. I have never listened to so much youtube before!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
this is what I like about tape; I tend to play the whole album in one uninterrupted sequence from a 12 or even 12,5" reel like it´s intended to be heard...

apart from that, my experience from being sat down in front of an unfamiliar system, is that it hardly matter what is being played, it doesn´t take long to recognize a great system anyway, and I´m pretty sure this is one of very few...
best
Leif

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing