Alternative Turkey Stuffing Recipe?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I make my own stuffing, and it's pretty good, but I'd love to hear about some of the stuffing you guys make. Care to share?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have a different stuffing every year - it really depends on what I see at the stores when I'm doing the stuffing. This year's stuffing was posted just before Thanksgiving. One year, I had a very interesting one - wild rice, sweet potatoes (yam in the US), dried porcini mushrooms, and duck liver pate. It was one of the more successful ones. The wild rice was soaked overnight, and the sweet potatoes was cut into 1/2-inch cubes before mixing it all up and stuffing it inside the turkey.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I heard the same thing Steve, and there seems to be a movement ( if i can call it that) to bake/cook stuffing separately, but I'm not truly convinced it's dangerous. After all...I'm still here after all these years. I think I'll continue to stuff my bird the traditional way!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Definitely should NEVER cook the stuffing inside the turkey cavity because of high risk of infection such as Salmonella if the turkey is undercooked

Has anyone ever really had an under-cooked bird though? I understand what you are saying though, I really do.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes - absolutely. Since with my recipe, I cook the bird for almost 5 hours, the core temp is well above 165deg. With a very moist stuffing, the turkey bastes from the inside, and I don't brine my bird. I get better turkey flavor that way.

It is also important to not stuff the bird until just before it goes in the oven, and the stuffing must be cold. Do not put warm stuffing in the bird as bacteria could multiply due to the warmth. I know that it's risky to do it this way, but it tastes better and if you do it right, there's no danger.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I do the same. The stuffing gets prepared and remains in the fridge on its own. Once it's time for the oven I fill the cavity and let 'er rip for a few hours depending on the size of the bird.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We do stuffing both in the bird and out to get enough to go around. The flavor of the ones that are inside is 1000 times better. We mix the two when we serve them. Yes you have to cook it enough but it is worth it :).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary - In persuing your stuffing recipe in the Thanksgiving thread, I noticed you use cream. Can you tell me which one? Table Cream @ 18% or Whole (whipping) Cream @ 35%?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have never liked the stuffing that was cooked inside the turkey. I always thought it had a funky flavor/twang that I just didn't care for. My mother always made so much stuffing that part of it went into the bird and the other part was cooked in the pan. I stuck with the part that was cooked in the pan. Eating stuffing that was cooked inside a turkey creeps me out. I know many love the tradition and swear it tastes better. More power to you. I'll take my stuffing straight-up minus the funky flavor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have never liked the stuffing that was cooked inside the turkey. I always thought it had a funky flavor/twang that I just didn't care for. My mother always made so much stuffing that part of it went into the bird and the other part was cooked in the pan. I stuck with the part that was cooked in the pan. Eating stuffing that was cooked inside a turkey creeps me out. I know many love the tradition and swear it tastes better. More power to you. I'll take my stuffing straight-up minus the funky flavor.

Nothing wrong with that as it's all about our own indivual tastes. It's like Cranberry sauce...some people prefer it with real Cranberries...others like the jellied kind (of which I'm one).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nothing wrong with that as it's all about our own indivual tastes. It's like Cranberry sauce...some people prefer it with real Cranberries...others like the jellied kind (of which I'm one).

Me too!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Always thought mom made the best stuffing, until I met my wife, and she used salad croutons instead of bread type stuff for stuffing...its a simple recipe, just onions and butter and croutons.
Tom

Me thinks your wife didn’t tell you the full list of ingredients.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Oh I asked her just a while ago, there is one other ingrediant, just cut up celery. Thats it. The trick is the salad croutons. We're fixin to have a thanksgiving type meal next week and with just the two of us it will last for three or four days...dinner is solved!

Tom

No chicken broth or turkey stock? No poultry seasoning? No salt and pepper?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Always make a meat stuffing

I don't have an itemized recipe just ingredients, as my parents/grandparents made it

ground pork simmered with just enough water to barely cover
break it up with a potato masher for a couple of hrs, the idea here is to simmer the meat so it breaks down to later combine completely with the bread for binding
Dice celery/onions, amount is your call half goes in after about 30min, rest when pork is finished
poultry seasoning I like Durkees
3 types of Sage rubbed, ground and fresh made into a chiffonade, added just before the bread
when pork is done I let it sit about 10min to judge liquid content, add broth or water if needed
Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix(not cube or corn bread) gets mixed in to, completely combine with pork mixture, one adds/mixes till texture is right, course thats open ended but tis what it is and goes back to the pork breaking down.
My sons have watched me make it now a few times so the process gets carried on....
The seasoning/sage can be added at various times for flavor layers and taste adjustments

Like a # of family traditions this has always been made by me for the last 20yrs and brought to wherever the turkey feast is. Kins always look forward to it, as an ex... niece is in the military, could not make Tday but did come home at Xmas. We were reminded many times to save some for her to have during the holidays, its the only gift she wanted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing