AlsyVox Botticelli with external crossovers

Great! Have you experimented with other cables from crossovers to speakers? Those on photo look like original Omega Audio Concepts…
You're right, out of the box it's OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT.
These are fine, but I will try other cables from PRANAWIRE. I will tell you if they sound better or not. Since there is a huge difference between OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT The Element silver jumpers (very good I must say) vs PRANAWIRE ARHAT Lightspeed, it could be a good idea to test the Californian cables. The main difference is in the detail: silver ribbon and more important, air dielectric. Also PRANAWIRE jumpers have no connectors, the spade is tooled directly into the ribbon. Of course, for use with external crossovers, ARHAT Lightspeed need to have Neutrik connectors.
Daniele Coen says that Botticelli could be much more sensitive to jumpers in their internal crossover mode than with external crossover links. However, even if I'm engineer, sometime hearing is believing . I will ask for special cables very similar to my ARHAT Lightspeed (not used anymore).

Hello

The external crossovers of Botticelli X are not the same than the crossovers that are inside Botticelli. Inside this is a passive crossover with Mundorf components for models before 2021.
Now internal crossovers and external crossovers use Mundorf capacitors and Duelund bypass capacitors. The difference is in the physical size (bigger in external crossovers) and the symmetrical topology: components both on + and - side of the crossover for the external crossovers.
The second difference is that the external crossover, of course, has 3 outputs that drive the ribbons directly, a purest approach. The third main difference is that the external crossovers are in a very rigid cabinet, massive cooper shielding is applied to protect the signal from EMI and RFi.
Appart of that, external filters have many outputs to deal with gain without potentiometer. This is a costly design but the purest for sure.
PHPAUDIO is proud to have the very first external crossovers "2.0" that have even better components and more shielding than the previous units delivered before the end of October 2021. With these external filters next gen say "2.0", Botticelli are much better speakers than with internal speakers. Having Botticelli for 2 years, paired with TENOR AUDIO amplifier then with AUDIONET Humboldt, I am found of their sound. Upgraded with external filters, especially the new ones, put Botticelli in an another league. For me it's the best speakers I have listen yet, at any price.
What a pity that they didn't use a similar style for the external crossover box. Manufactures make gorgeous speakers and tend to forget about the crossover which is often still very visible in rooms.

Reactions: christoph
What a pity that they didn't use a similar style for the external crossover box. Manufactures make gorgeous speakers and tend to forget about the crossover which is often still very visible in rooms.
It could be impossible to put the components of the external crossover inside the planar save to make a very thick base plate. Separate box is mandatory to prevent vibrations from the speakers to affect the crossovers components. Making small towers like the speakers with wood and acrylic? why not... I will suggest Daniele (Designer) and Paola (Style designer).
In a room, the crossovers are visible but not so much as they are quite small (but very heavy). Anyhow a good suggestion.

My picture is quite expanding the size of the external filters. With the black OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT strings (previously red), they are not so much visible in a moderate sized room. The crossovers has a transparent acrylic base, on which the black acrylic modules sit isolated. My speaker cables are (much) more visible .

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpg
    IMG_9824.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 57
It could be impossible to put the components of the external crossover inside the planar save to make a very thick base plate. Separate box is mandatory to prevent vibrations from the speakers to affect the crossovers components. Making small towers like the speakers with wood and acrylic? why not... I will suggest Daniele (Designer) and Paola (Style designer).
In a room, the crossovers are visible but not so much as they are quite small (but very heavy). Anyhow a good suggestion.
I guess it doesn't have be a plan Style. Perhaps even some wooden vertical panels on the black box would make it more palatable, at least to me. Don't misunderstand me, the speakers look so nice it's just a shame.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
I guess it doesn't have be a plan Style. Perhaps even some wooden vertical panels on the black box would make it more palatable, at least to me. Don't misunderstand me, the speakers look so nice it's just a shame.
If one brand have a style plan, ALSYVOX is one. Remember they are Italians, were style is mandatory on some well known subjects, sport cars and bikes, furnitures...
The speakers are wonderful for me too but I don't think external crossovers are a shame. They are more conventional for sure. They don't put wooden strings on the crossover as they don't like to duplicate the speakers style.
But as you know, style is an individual perception. Some people will not be pleased to see my crossovers sitting on coupling devices in some weeks, even if they are very fine cones and bases (beautifully made) made by a Japanese master.

The external xovers look great as is. Making them look like the speakers, adding wood, etc. would be a big no IMO.
The package is Italian design at it's best....

My picture is quite expanding the size of the external filters. With the black OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT strings (previously red), they are not so much visible in a moderate sized room. The crossovers has a transparent acrylic base, on which the black acrylic modules sit isolated. My speaker cables are (much) more visible .
This photo better represents the size I think. Again, it is very personal. I happen to like a wood look that's all.

Reactions: PhP
The external xovers look great as is. Making them look like the speakers, adding wood, etc. would be a big no IMO.
The package is Italian design at it's best....
I agree, even if style is a personal taste. I prefer for my own this quite simple rectangular style. When you see them really, which the transparent base, the most visible thing is by far the cable strings that go from the Xovers to the speakers. The italian OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT cables are very stiff and cannot lay horizontally like speaker cable. However, in black they are less visible than the red of the first edition.

Do you really think your wife will notice the crossovers and not the speakers?

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and PhP
Do you really think your wife will notice the crossovers and not the speakers?
Perhaps if the boxes are shinier :eek:

Are these boxes acrylic? If they are I’d also have trouble not noticing the fingerprints :eek::eek:

The structure and scaling of the design seems to work OK but acrylic in the materiality would be functionally and aesthetically a downer. I’d use lacquered wood (Japon is more elegant)… plus can add some subtle details or layering of texture in the finish to give it a range and express better.

A simple one note material can have nice composition and scaling but the material itself also expresses… elements like copper, lacquered hardwood or a matte like timber finish could be quiet and resolute but defer still to the speaker… at the moment the shiny box on the floor could recede a bit to fall into the background a touch more but still stay visually related and have some subtle connective visual element that keeps the speaker and crossover still visually connected and coherent.

Perhaps if the boxes are shinier :eek:

Are these boxes acrylic? If they are I’d also have trouble not noticing the fingerprints :eek::eek:

The structure and scaling of the design seems to work OK but acrylic in the materiality would be functionally and aesthetically a downer. I’d use lacquered wood (Japon is more elegant)… plus can add some subtle details or layering of texture in the finish to give it a range and express better.

A simple one note material can have nice composition and scaling but the material itself also expresses… elements like copper, lacquered hardwood or a matte like timber finish could be quiet and resolute but defer still to the speaker… at the moment the shiny box on the floor could recede a bit to fall into the background a touch more but still stay visually related and have some subtle connective visual element that keeps the speaker and crossover still visually connected and coherent.
The boxes are in PMMA (polymethyl Methacrylate), say commonly Plexiglas. This is a high quality plastic which became famous 40 years ago in Europe when Goldmund launched their famous turntable STUDIO and the T3 linear arm, and after it was (is) used by speaker manufacturers for their speaker aesthetic. It has good self damping properties. Yes it is shinny and sensible to finger prints but once installed, no reason to touch them. To get rigidity, to cancel vibration, PMMA or CNC aluminium is mandatory, also it's magnetic free. ALSYVOX Botticelli uses black PMMA for their front and rear panels, made in 1 piece and then attached to the metallic frame.

You're right, out of the box it's OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT.
These are fine, but I will try other cables from PRANAWIRE. I will tell you if they sound better or not. Since there is a huge difference between OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPT The Element silver jumpers (very good I must say) vs PRANAWIRE ARHAT Lightspeed, it could be a good idea to test the Californian cables. The main difference is in the detail: silver ribbon and more important, air dielectric. Also PRANAWIRE jumpers have no connectors, the spade is tooled directly into the ribbon. Of course, for use with external crossovers, ARHAT Lightspeed need to have Neutrik connectors.
Daniele Coen says that Botticelli could be much more sensitive to jumpers in their internal crossover mode than with external crossover links. However, even if I'm engineer, sometime hearing is believing . I will ask for special cables very similar to my ARHAT Lightspeed (not used anymore).

That Pranawire speaker cable would be $74,350 for a 7m set. Ouch!

That Pranawire speaker cable would be $74,350 for a 7m set. Ouch!
Yes, but most set up use 2 to 3,5 m long speaker wires.At 7m I would had bought Cosmos or Arhat. At 2 m, especially with external crossovers, I can reach 4m per side and AVATAR II is more "affordable" in 2m. Expensive for sure, you're right, but so rewarding.

This is the new Alsyvox showroom in Valencia, Spain. This is the first pic of the new listening room featuring Botticellis. The external crossovers will be added in the next few days.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-30 at 7.02.18 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the location of the room?

Hi, what amps are available there?
Daniele has used Omega Audio concepts electronics (100 watt SS monos) and cables from Italy, for a while now, as the Omega were used at the last Munich show. Daniele also uses a home made 300B SET amp, which has been used for Alsyvox development since their inception.

What is the location of the room?
Valencia, Spain. The showroom will soon be ready for visits and demonstrations. Contact Daniele if anyone is interested in a visit.

This is the new Alsyvox showroom in Valencia, Spain. This is the first pic of the new listening room featuring Botticellis. The external crossovers will be added in the next few days.

View attachment 87245
Well done Daniele, fine place !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing