Albums You Always Listen To Front To Back?

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Quite a few for me, but lets just say Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and Pet Sounds.

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
I usually listen to the whole album unless I'm auditioning a new piece of equipment or showing off the system for someone.

Roadrunner14

Apr 3, 2021
I’m another that always listens to the whole album. The reason for this is probably a fine distinction between wanting to listen to the album as intended vs me being too lazy to keep getting up to change records between tracks.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I listen to almost all my albums front to back. Beethoven and Mozart meant their symphonies to be played in the order of the movements. And operas are best played in the order of the acts. Hearing the last act of the opera first is like reading the last chapter of a mystery novel first. However, that doesn't mean you can't take intermissions (intervals in the UK) for a break. However, there are some movements (called attacca) where one transitions from one movement to the next without taking a break. I believe Beethoven started this practice in his middle period. Very effective in transitioning from a slow movement to a fast movement, particularly if there is a harmonic transition and the composer leaves the listener hanging at the end of the slow movement, to be resolved with the first note(s) of the next movement - very satisfying.

Larry

Reactions: Andrew S.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So many. But right now Bruckner #7 Haitink. That direct to disc we had a thread on a year or so ago. Phenomenal recording although could sound a little hard. The performance from Haitink and Berliner Philharmoniker is to me the best Bruckner 7. First exposure to Bruckner 7 could give a feel of a journey that doesn't get to designation. But the more you listen to the more you get into the flow, appreciate the ride especially with Haitink conducting. A must have for classical listener imo.

Regards,
Tang

Reactions: Andrew S.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing