Aesthetix Io Users Group

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
20 years with a tube phono without any kind of issue, wow you are a lucky man ! :oops:
I have had my Io for nearly 25 years. Started with one power supply and volume controls. Have done the various upgrades and added a second power supply. Did the Eclipse updates - with the power supply mods that Kcin described. Over the years there have been 2 failures. At about the tenth year a voltage regulator failed. Aesthetix repaired it and also updated some other components. A couple years ago, one of the IEC connectors failed (mechanical connection). Aesthetix repaired it and did some power supply updates at the same time.

I am very happy with the longevity, reliability and customer support. At this point in my life, I would not want to be out auditioning and purchasing a phono stage. For all tube phono stages, there is more limited selection (compared with solid state).

Jim White has added comments to this and other threads describing how to contact him and find support in other countries.

Sorry to hear that your Io is not living up to its potential. There must be a root cause - and a solution.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Is it possible the 230v is burning some of his internal components more compared to that wimpish 120v?
That is possible, but highly unlikely. The input to the power supplies are designed to accommodate the common voltage/frequency of the incoming AC voltage. The incoming power is all stepped up or down to a common voltage level. From there all circuits have the same input voltage, regardless of the incoming AC level. The adjusted AC is then rectified and regulated. There would not be different circuits for different line voltages (other than the initial power transformer).

But hey - that 50 Hz is the real wimp :)

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
A user report...
I am in Gran Canaria, in our shared holiday home. I play music from two sources, streaming from Qobuz, and my own vinyl rips, from the Atlas cartridge and Aesthetix Io Eclipse amp, thru an
Einstein the tube preamp, and from there, to my Tascam recorder. It is these recordings that I bring along on a hard disk and playback in our holiday home.
Guess what? The vinyl rips, mostly, swaps the streaming. The sound is better, more involving, engaging. Depending on the quality of the LP and the recording, of course.
Typical symptom - the streaming sounds good at first. The vinyl rip can sound less clear and engaging. But then you listen some more, and things change, the vinyl rip brings you more into the music.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
A user report...
I am in Gran Canaria, in our shared holiday home. I play music from two sources, streaming from Qobuz, and my own vinyl rips, from the Atlas cartridge and Aesthetix Io Eclipse amp, thru an
Einstein the tube preamp, and from there, to my Tascam recorder. It is these recordings that I bring along on a hard disk and playback in our holiday home.
Guess what? The vinyl rips, mostly, swaps the streaming. The sound is better, more involving, engaging. Depending on the quality of the LP and the recording, of course.
Typical symptom - the streaming sounds good at first. The vinyl rip can sound less clear and engaging. But then you listen some more, and things change, the vinyl rip brings you more into the music.
Yes, vinyl changes something. Subtle. I’ve noticed the same thing from listening to a good digital recording, digitally, and then, the same recording off of a vinyl. Again often, the vinyl chain or perhaps “vinyl paradigm” resonates with human bodies and emotions.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I share your experience, there is "something" with vinyl. I don't think it is a paradigm, mainly, but my ears. For ten years I was a strong believer in the digital paradigm, before changing back to analog. Likewise, changing from solid state to tube.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I have a question. In my rack, the Io (main unit) only has 5 cm (2 inches) free air from the top of the chassis to the bottom of the shelf above. Measured with the stock feet. The chassis is the old type.
I am concerned that 5 cm is too little. It would like more space to breathe. Better ventilation.
Your experience? What would be the optimal distance from the Io top to the next shelf?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I can't give you advice here and the instructions in the manual are rather vague other than to say adequate ventilation is necessary and you shouldn't stack the PS and the head unit. The instructions also say you should consider fans in enclosed spaces

My feeling is that I would like to see double that space 4" (10cm) or more above- too much heat build up and not enough stack effect will impact the boards and components. This kind of damage is difficult and expensive to repair.

More space for the PS units than the head unit too as they run hot.

I don't think you will get any firm recommendation from Aesthetix either- only that adequate ventilation is necessary.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
@Kcin - thanks! This is my feeling also. Four or even five inches air above. I will consider moving it. I installed a fan but dont like to use it.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If the preamp is to be placed in a shelf, I would operate it without the lid. unless there are noise or hum interference or place them on the top level of the shelf.
My preamplifier gets 60 degrees inside and doesn't even have as many tubes(8) as your phono.
P.S Put a cloth over it when not in use

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Stephan, thank you - yes taking off the lid and use a cloth is a possibility, but there are high voltages and I don't think it is a permanent solution.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
If I do the change, the Io will have six inches of air up to the next shelf. Should be good enough. Enough to experiment with feet, also. It will stand at the bottom of the rack, on a thick stone slab, max stability. And with no warm air from a component below. So it seems a good idea. The minus is that I need to relocate the right-side Io power supply which has this position now. And move a shelf of LP records.To make place for the power supply, on a stone shelf resting on the floor, to the right of the rack. This will probably not be quite as stable as the central stab it rested upon, but hopefully a marginal minus. It will have adequate air above so it doesnt melt the LPs on the shelf above. I am in the happy situation that my wife thinks - maybe we should try.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Here is my system. The Io control unit is in the centre section, shelf 3. I consider placing it down one shelf, and place the power supply to the right of the rack, on the floor, removing the LP shelf.
IMG_20240319_164716.jpg

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
The glowing tube units are Atma-sphere MA1 amps. The unit in the right section shelf 2 is the Einstein The tube mk2 preamp, recently "rescued" from a cramped space below the Hanss T30 record player, in the central section. Now, instead, my digital source (Teac NT505) and the Hanss speed control occupy that space. No feet, so far.
Io has volume controls, and if I had used them often, I would not accept a solution where it stands low in the rack. But with the Io into a preamp (Einstein), it seldom needs adjustments.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Four or even five inches air above. I will consider moving it. I installed a fan but dont like to use it.
The optimal solution depends on ambient temperature and air flow. High heat really stresses electronics and decreases their usable life.

If the bottom of the shelf above any of the pieces with tubes are warm within 30 - 60 minutes, then it needs either more space, better circulation (fan), or lower room temperature.

My system is in the lower level of my home in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area) in an HRS rack. It does not need a fan nor does it have any thermal issues.

When I lived in the CA Bay Area, I used a 220v pancake fan wired to 110v so that it ran slow and quiet. These kept constant airflow over the Io power supplies and phono stage.

There are lots of small and quiet fans that would help increase air flow without interfering with enjoyment of the music.

Cooler Guys

GDSTIME

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thank you, oldvinyl. My thinking also. Lack of ventilation means trouble, even here in relatively cold Norway.

I fixed the wall-mounted pc fans I have behind the rack. Since moving the Io is difficult in my rack, I first want to test if it is OK now, with the fans. Maybe, first, a simple hand test. Can I hold my hand on top of Io, or does it get too hot? Here, I could use some help, from those of you with good ventilation. How does it feel? Have you measured the temperature at the top of the chassis, towards the back, where it is warmest?

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
When I am at it...I did a small ringing test with my knuckles on the Io chassis (I have the original black type), and yes, it does ring. It has a lot of vents and is obviously made to allow ventilation, but it is not a champion regarding damping. I guess the new chassis is better in that respect (my Io is 'partial eclipse' updated, that is, all the electronics, but without the new chassis. Due to cost, and also, since a reviewer heard no sonic benefit from it).

My Walker Validpoints include some extra damping discs, they claim these can be used on top of components to reduce vibrations. Have not tried on Io, yet. Maybe some of you have experience.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
When I am at it...I did a small ringing test with my knuckles on the Io chassis (I have the original black type), and yes, it does ring. It has a lot of vents and is obviously made to allow ventilation, but it is not a champion regarding damping. I guess the new chassis is better in that respect (my Io is 'partial eclipse' updated, that is, all the electronics, but without the new chassis. Due to cost, and also, since a reviewer heard no sonic benefit from it).

My Walker Validpoints include some extra damping discs, they claim these can be used on top of components to reduce vibrations. Have not tried on Io, yet. Maybe some of you have experience.
No question that the original chassis is "functional" at best. I have heard the full eclipse chassis version and frankly could not tell the difference. On the other hand, from a pride of ownership point of view it wins.

I have the original chassis now upgraded to full Eclipse and and with the latest transformer and choke/wiring/PS mods. That is where the upgrade $ should go if anyone is considering it. I believe it to be greater in magnitude than the partial eclipse upgrade. It is stunning.

On the other hand, some would call me overdamped--- I have yet to re install my damping plates and VPI bricks etc since getting the Io back. I believe there to benefit to damping the chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: oldvinyl

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Hi Kcin - thanks, and re your upgrade: "this is stunning". High praise. Better than the eclipse upgrade? Can you tell us more?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I should clarify, as a long time owner of the Io, I upgraded to partial Eclipse. That was the head unit with the stealth caps. At that time it was recommended I upgrade some of the heater filter caps in the PS. I did that as well. It was a valuable upgrade in terms of resolution and definition.

This latest upgrade was to change the power transformers in each PS along with a different brand of cap for the heaters and a improved grounding scheme.

The Io is stone silent at high gain settings, more defined bass and articulation tons of depth and soundstage improvements over the partial eclipse. I can't get over it!

Any existing owner that does not have the new transformers will find it to be a very meaningful upgrade. Unfortunately, I "had" to get mine done due to a failure of 1 PS after 20 years of trouble free ownership. I am glad it is up to current standards and the net result is stunning.

Reactions: dan31

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thanks, very informative. Does "stone silent" mean that you can now run a .25 or so very low output cartridge with the Io without background noise?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing