Aesthetix Io Users Group

jjhf1234

Jan 1, 2023
After several months of waiting, my Io arrived back last week with new transformers in both PS , new heater capacitors and new grounding scheme. I had already had the Partial Eclipse done a few years ago. This brings the Io up to current Eclipse levels.

I now have the joy of clearing my stand of the current set up and repositioning the Io and the 2 power supplies. Its been away for a long time. I had been using the Klyne 7 series and the Allnic 7000 in the interim on loan. The Klyne has been stellar with the DaVa and I can whole heartedly recommend that combination with a good SUT.

I am not sure whether I lost some strength while waiting but the new iron in Io PSs seem to add 10 or 15lbs to each box. They seemed to have gained some weight on the trip back.

Looking forward to see what this upgrade does.
Extremely interested to hear your findings. Been putting off this same update for months for no real reason. How long was several months, six?

Reactions: Kcin

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Extremely interested to hear your findings. Been putting off this same update for months for no real reason. How long was several months, six?
Yes , 6mos.

Not sure what the delay was. However, I said I wasn't in a real hurry - I was expecting 3 mos or so. They were always responsive, my understanding is that Jim is the only one that works on the Io's.

I can only imagine they are busy building new pieces and have a service back log.

It's a very small company- when I sent my 3 boxes down, I got the Fedex response that Jim White signed for them-- that gives you an idea for what a small outfit they are. It's not everywhere that the CEO signs for shipments at the loading dock. At the end of the day, I am glad that the guy that designed them .. made the modifications, tested them and probably boxed them. That doesn't happen everywhere either.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
After several months of waiting, my Io arrived back last week with new transformers in both PS , new heater capacitors and new grounding scheme. I had already had the Partial Eclipse done a few years ago. This brings the Io up to current Eclipse levels.

I now have the joy of clearing my stand of the current set up and repositioning the Io and the 2 power supplies. Its been away for a long time. I had been using the Klyne 7 series and the Allnic 7000 in the interim on loan. The Klyne has been stellar with the DaVa and I can whole heartedly recommend that combination with a good SUT.

I am not sure whether I lost some strength while waiting but the new iron in Io PSs seem to add 10 or 15lbs to each box. They seemed to have gained some weight on the trip back.

Hifi by the pound/kilo! I understand from Glenn that every serviced piece spends time on a burn rack and then gets a listen to in the house system. These things take time. (Well spent)

Last edited:

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area

Kcin,

Eager to get your impressions on these updates. When I had.the very same done to my Io, the difference was immediately noticeable. And improved as those new capacitors settled in.

Enjoy!

ScottB

Feb 11, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Why do you feel these are the two key tubes rather than the first gain stage tubes (V1 and V2)?

Sorry for the delay - didn't see this until now.

I figured out the 6922 when I had a Rhea. I had replaced all the 12ax7's with tele's and still wasn't happy with the sound - It wasn't very transparent and was dull and muddy. On a whim, I replaced the stock 6922's with a tele's and the the sky opened up. I later found out that the 6922 is the output tube so what ever you do prior to that will be masked by that tube if its not right. The 6922 is used the same way in the io so the same holds true. Through experience with the io, I found that the 6SN7 is somewhat similar to the 6922 as it controls the over all flavor.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Kcin,

Eager to get your impressions on these updates. When I had.the very same done to my Io, the difference was immediately noticeable. And improved as those new capacitors settled in.

Enjoy!
Well initial impressions here.

After cleaning all my tube pins ,all 32 of them, I turned on the system after having the DaVa in with the Klyne.

It was a disappointment- flat, one dimensional. Not at all what I was expecting. Fast forward at just about 100 hrs of burn in with a RIAA level CD - it is opening up!

First thing I noticed - was- nothing, no noise, stone silent surreal. No hum, or superfluous white noise whatsoever. Sounds just flow and appear in space. The Io was already good at this but the PS mod has really benefited the unit to an order of magnitude .

This lower noise flow allows more detail to be present and more sense of ambience.

The bass sounds more prolific- I need to be careful with this- I run a pair of RELs. It has been my experience that the bass locks in last with the infinicaps being out of commission for so long. I may have a ways to go on tuning the bass just yet and I anticipate having to adjust my sub levels given the new upgrade. For now I am going to run it for another 100 hrs and see what happens next.

Very impressive so far! It is a no brainer and the improvements are real and not debatable. If I were considering this I would have to get some sort of assurance from Aesthetix on reasonable turn-a-round. Even then, if phono is important to you, you may want to have a spare phono stage on hand to have during the upgrade process.

More after another week or so of run-in.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016

After cleaning all my tube pins ,all 32 of them, I turned on the system after having the DaVa in with the Klyne.

It was a disappointment- flat, one dimensional. Not at all what I was expecting. Fast forward at just about 100 hrs of burn in with a RIAA level CD - it is opening up!

First thing I noticed - was- nothing, no noise, stone silent surreal. No hum, or superfluous white noise whatsoever. Sounds just flow and appear in space. The Io was already good at this but the PS mod has really benefited the unit to an order of magnitude .

This lower noise flow allows more detail to be present and more sense of ambience.

The bass sounds more prolific- I need to be careful with this- I run a pair of RELs. It has been my experience that the bass locks in last with the infinicaps being out of commission for so long. I may have a ways to go on tuning the bass just yet and I anticipate having to adjust my sub levels given the new upgrade. For now I am going to run it for another 100 hrs and see what happens next.

Very impressive so far! It is a no brainer and the improvements are real and not debatable. If I were considering this I would have to get some sort of assurance from Aesthetix on reasonable turn-a-round. Even then, if phono is important to you, you may want to have a spare phono stage on hand to have during the upgrade process.

I have experienced some of what you speak of with my latest Aesthetix Rhea Eclipse upgrade.

After the upgrade Aesthetix does their usual burn-in and listen before shipping. And I trust that. When my phonostage arrived home I put it on my own (home spun) burn rack, a Hagerman inverse RIAA card iRIAA2 driven by a CD line level input, and a solidstate headphone amp on the output to a newish set of ZMF cans that additionally had use for some further running in. Gave the Rhea about 250 hours with stock tubes insitu. This smoothed the performance out and gave a really nice and stable midrange to upper frequency presentation. I assumed the bass had come in too as it was better than the previous Signature level. Though it had not, and upon playing for possibly another hundred hours in the kit, all of a sudden the bass grew enormously in depth and tone, with vastly greater articulation. WoW!

Anyway, to my point, an emphatical YES to the idea that these Stealthcap™ have a need to a rather long run in before truly delivering just what they are capable of. And it shocked me just how much of a move they made performance wise. I literally put on a record one day played A side, when I flipped it over to play side B, the whole mix of the album sounded more full bodied and meaty to the point that I had to flip back to side A for a reality check. Side A now played with an improved authority in bottom end, that just a moment ago it didn’t have… Now everything I play highlights this characteristic.

Very cool

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Don't just keep it for upgrades, a Aesthetix owner needs to keep extras for all the months it is broken down and waiting for repairs too ! ;) Trying to have mine fixed at the moment, findings someone qualified locally is hard, the best repair guys here don't want to touch it, one told me "you start repairing it in one end, and something breaks in the other ! The circuit boards are crap, badly designed, sell it as fast as you can, it will keep breaking" another elaborated " the circuit board design has high power and low power too close to each other just a little humidity and dust can short circuit it some places " none of them wanted to repair a Io again.:confused: That said, i had mine running with just one channel playing yesterday to mark the broken power supply for a future repair guy, and the left channel sounded great, my foot was tapping and bass lines where amazing, i am not giving up, i am apparently a masochist :rolleyes: It must be possible to find one brave man in the Kingdom of Denmark !:)

Last edited:
Reactions: thekong

jjhf1234

Jan 1, 2023
Don't just keep it for upgrades, a Aesthetix owner needs to keep extras for all the months it is broken down and waiting for repairs too ! ;) Trying to have mine fixed at the moment, findings someone qualified locally is hard, the best repair guys here don't want to touch it, one told me "you start repairing it in one end, and something breaks in the other ! The circuit boards are crap, badly designed, sell it as fast as you can, it will keep breaking" another elaborate " the circuit board design has high power and low power too close to each other just a little humidity and dust can short circuit it some places " none of them wanted to repair a Io again.:confused: That said, i had mine running with just one channel playing yesterday to mark the broken power supply for a future repair guy, and the left channel sounded great, my foot was tapping and bass lines where amazing, i am not giving up, i am apparently a masochist :rolleyes: It must be possible to find one brave man in the Kingdom of Denmark !:)
That’s frustrating, sorry you’ve had a bad experience. Have owned two IO’s over that last 20 years (original Signature and now Eclipse) and have never experienced and issue…knock on wood.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That’s frustrating, sorry you’ve had a bad experience. Have owned two IO’s over that last 20 years (original Signature and now Eclipse) and have never experienced and issue…knock on wood.
20 years with a tube phono without any kind of issue, wow you are a lucky man ! :oops:

jjhf1234

Jan 1, 2023
20 years with a tube phono without any kind of issue, wow you are a lucky man ! :oops:
Maybe it’s a sign to buy that lottery ticket! But truly, other than a few tube issues nothing of note

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Maybe it’s a sign to buy that lottery ticket! But truly, other than a few tube issues nothing of note
Mine has waiting for repairs or being repaired longer than i have been able to use it, half of the warranty time was spent this way, and that is not counting the last year and a half i have been to disgusted to even have it repaired again. Maybe 4'th time is the charm and it behaves this time, but i doubt it. I am hoping to find a friendly local repair man willing to take a couple of thousand dollars of my money every year and cut down on transportation/ wait time. But it seems as hard as finding a virgin on Tinder ! ;)

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I’ve owned a Calypso and Rhea Signature for over a decade, no issues. Now replaced Calypso for a Metis and Eclipsed the Rhea, no issues so far. Have a dear friend with the first Io three box and a Callisto three box and no issues there either through a couple decades… sorry you are having trouble.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’ve owned a Calypso and Rhea Signature for over a decade, no issues. Now replaced Calypso for a Metis and Eclipsed the Rhea, no issues so far. Have a dear friend with the first Io three box and a Callisto three box and no issues there either through a couple decades… sorry you are having trouble.
Maybe we are getting b-stock in Europe, a few members with Io's in England, Germany Denmark and Norway have had problem, most have moved on and bought other phonos.
Post in thread 'Best phono stage?'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/best-phono-stage.14815/post-941732
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/best-phono-stage.14815/post-941740
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/best-phono-stage.14815/post-941741

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have had my Io now in some iteration of Signature or Partial/Eclipse for probably 20 years +. This is really the first time I had to send it away. Once self inflicted tube rolling concern- however, that was solved with another tube by me.

My only concern this time was the time to re- work it. It really has been remarkably stable for all this time given the 3 boxes. Sorry, you are having troubles Milan.

I have been running mine now 24hrs a day for almost 2 weeks and when I sit down to listen it just blows me away.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have had my Io now in some iteration of Signature or Partial/Eclipse for probably 20 years +. This is really the first time I had to send it away. Once self inflicted tube rolling concern- however, that was solved with another tube by me.

My only concern this time was the time to re- work it. It really has been remarkably stable for all this time given the 3 boxes. Sorry, you are having troubles Milan.

I have been running mine now 24hrs a day for almost 2 weeks and when I sit down to listen it just blows me away.
It does sound fantastic, best phono i ever heard, now i just need to find that reliable repair guy to put on speed dial ! :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I like the Io so much that I am considering getting another set as back up! But at the same time, I am questioning my sanity o_O
That's what Leif had for awhile, before he became a horn man ! :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it possible the 230v is burning some of his internal components more compared to that wimpish 120v?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Is it possible the 230v is burning some of his internal components more compared to that wimpish 120v?
The power supplies should do the job at the voltage they are made for, but who knows. Maybe summer heat in Europe is less likely to be fixed with air conditioning than in the US, mine broke down in June the last time, i will start tracking breakdowns, too find out when the Io has its "period". Prefer SS in the summer anyway, hate to listen to music in my underwear ! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing