Accuphase on TAD CR-1's? Opinions? ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Can anyone comment on the use of Accuphase gear on TAD CR-1's? I don't think I've read any opinions on the combo. I've tried Pass XA100.5's with good success (although the bass was a little soft with these) and thought about going up the line. My Dartzeel 108 has been the best, for my taste, so far and hope to add the preamp soon.

Accuphase A-65 enough? A-200's?

BTS

May 16, 2011
Can anyone comment on the use of Accuphase gear on TAD CR-1's? I don't think I've read any opinions on the combo. I've tried Pass XA100.5's with good success (although the bass was a little soft with these) and thought about going up the line. My Dartzeel 108 has been the best, for my taste, so far and hope to add the preamp soon.

Accuphase A-65 enough? A-200's?

Maybee off-topic but I once owned 2xA-60 and with two completely different speakers in two completely different rooms these amps gave me a very clean, detailed, liquid and smooth sound
On the dark side the sound was a bit to dry for my taste and the A-60's lacks of bass extension. In my ears. No, I did not try them out before buying...:)

IMG_2347-2_zpsa92ecf02.jpg

IMG_2390-2_zps8fe01b21.jpg

IMG_2380-2_zps534f5fd4.jpg

IMG_2378-2_zps07e002d3.jpg

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
They do look sweet. Thank you for the photos.

nvp

Jan 21, 2013
Last year at Munich High-End 2012 show I talked with one of the TAD guys in the TAD room, and he has assured me that Accuphase electronics work beautifully with TAD speakers. He has invited me in Antwerp to his "TAD villa" to test the CR-1 and the new Evolution 1 speakers with my Accuphase electronics. Unfortunately, I've never honored the invitation.

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I have heard the CR1's on a small (around 150W/ch?) Accuphase integrated amp and it sounded very nice! The setting was unfamiliar to me (source, room, etc) but I remember some overall great sound with great tone being produced from this combo.

p.s. I also plan to visit the TAD 'villa' at some point soon, I have been invited by Frank on two occasions but was unable to go, it's less than an hour from where I live!

David

Aug 11, 2012
I have heard the CR1's on a small (around 150W/ch?) Accuphase integrated amp and it sounded very nice! The setting was unfamiliar to me (source, room, etc) but I remember some overall great sound with great tone being produced from this combo.

p.s. I also plan to visit the TAD 'villa' at some point soon, I have been invited by Frank on two occasions but was unable to go, it's less than an hour from where I live!

Hi everybody,

have you chance to go to TAD Villa now, since last messages ?

curious to know how could be the sound of a system Tad + Accuphase ...

david

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
As much as I like the Accuphase "house sound" I am not that sure you will get a "better" sound compared to the DartZeel, just a different presentation IMO.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think DartZeel is the end of the road for these speakers.

Joost,

I totally agree with what you've stated. Every time I come back and hook up my Dartzeel 108 (after thinking something else will be better), I am floored at how wonderful the combination of Dartzeel/TAD sounds.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Joe, I'm with you. The synergy between these two units is just blindingly obvious. The CR1's are like a crystal glass mirror to the incredible virtues and magic that happens inside the DartZ (and of course upstream gear). I'd like to listen properly to the M2500 and M600's in my home but more out of due diligence just to be able to say I have checked that box, I highly doubt they will better the DartZ, particularly in 200 Hz and above.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
Have you tried Viola Audio Labs? We regularly set up systems with TAD CR1s and Viola amplifiers, and the match is incredible.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, I'm with you. The synergy between these two units is just blindingly obvious. The CR1's are like a crystal glass mirror to the incredible virtues and magic that happens inside the DartZ (and of course upstream gear). I'd like to listen properly to the M2500 and M600's in my home but more out of due diligence just to be able to say I have checked that box, I highly doubt they will better the DartZ, particularly in 200 Hz and above.

I'd be interested in what you have to say about those amps. I will be trying a D'Agostino Momentum stereo amp in about a month to see what that brings to the table.

Have you tried Viola Audio Labs? We regularly set up systems with TAD CR1s and Viola amplifiers, and the match is incredible.

I also read that's a great combo and hope to hear it sometime.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'd be interested in what you have to say about those amps. I will be trying a D'Agostino Momentum stereo amp in about a month to see what that brings to the table.

I also read that's a great combo and hope to hear it sometime.

Joe-Is your listening room still the bedroom that you sleep in and your listening position is being on the bed?

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
We have been experimenting with tube amplification for CR1s, and I have to say, they can definitely sound amazing in a bi-amped configuration. We used a pair of BAT tube amps on the mid/high drivers and a Ciamara custom solid state amplifier (Class A/B, 350W at 8Ohm, Damping Factor >400) on the bass drivers. The combination was stunning. If you want to listen to all kinds of music, and not just the well-recorded stuff, tubes are a really nice addition. They mellow out some of the harsher recordings without sacrificing resolution. Obviously this is not easy to set up, as you need to gain level the amplification. The Ciamara amplifier has on-board trim for this purpose (we mainly use these in larger active sound systems). I highly recommend giving this a shot ... Next experiment will be to play around with tube amps from Audio Research and Thrax ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing