Accuphase and Krell

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Not sure why but my point was that by putting a great steamer into the picture, like the OpticalRendu, takes the sound of the VM-1a to amazing heights.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Not sure why but my point was that by putting a great steamer into the picture, like the OpticalRendu, takes the sound of the VM-1a to amazing heights.
I can imagine that. Even for what the setup was, it sounded magnificent. Maybe next I'll be able to listen to an even nicer setup.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I was thinking I should have posted on this thread the cable to use. I am sure this cable was used in the show. I have 2 cables, 1 for the VM-1a (both CA-1a and SR1a) and another for the Schitt Jotenhuim (both SR1a and CA-1a). The VM-1a cable is also used on my 2-channel amp adapter for only the SR1a.

The cable for the VM-1a and 2-channel interface box to use is a silver cable, model# SR728. These headphones are bright and silver does not seem like the correct cable, however, this cable is the one to get. It cost $1000 or $1500 (I forgot). I was listening to WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS last night (I can't get enough of this track on the VM-1a) and the difference in the drumming sound between the 2 cables is very big. This is kind of sad because now I want to buy a second SR728 cable so I do not have to move the cable between my 2 headphones every night. I am afraid of damaging something.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I was thinking I should have posted on this thread the cable to use. I am sure this cable was used in the show. I have 2 cables, 1 for the VM-1a (both CA-1a and SR1a) and another for the Schitt Jotenhuim (both SR1a and CA-1a). The VM-1a cable is also used on my 2-channel amp adapter for only the SR1a.

The cable for the VM-1a and 2-channel interface box to use is a silver cable, model# SR728. These headphones are bright and silver does not seem like the correct cable, however, this cable is the one to get. It cost $1000 or $1500 (I forgot). I was listening to WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS last night (I can't get enough of this track on the VM-1a) and the difference in the drumming sound between the 2 cables is very big. This is kind of sad because now I want to buy a second SR728 cable so I do not have to move the cable between my 2 headphones every night. I am afraid of damaging something.
The cable should be good for at least a few hundred cycles of connection, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just be gentle when swapping them :)

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
The cable should be good for at least a few hundred cycles of connection, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just be gentle when swapping them :)
Those sound like famous last words. :)

Last night I was listening with the $400 RAAL cable for the Schitt JR on my 2-channel gear (I was working),

Benchmark LA4 preamp | Musetec 005 DAC | KRELL Duo 175XD amp. It sounded awful, at least relatively, though the cable was not meant for this gear. It is hard to believe a cable can be so important.

I am keeping the SR728 cable on the VM-1a setup and not moving it. I messed up the cable in the past and have no desire to do that again.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Those sound like famous last words. :)

Last night I was listening with the $400 RAAL cable for the Schitt JR on my 2-channel gear (I was working),

Benchmark LA4 preamp | Musetec 005 DAC | KRELL Duo 175XD amp. It sounded awful, at least relatively, though the cable was not meant for this gear. It is hard to believe a cable can be so important.

I am keeping the SR728 cable on the VM-1a setup and not moving it. I messed up the cable in the past and have no desire to do that again.
Privately I'm the definition of why men live shorter than women, so... You might be right :)

Cables can get crazy important, especially when you have very high-quality gear. You'll hear everything.
Try some cable lifters. Not joking. It reduces the capacitance of the cable. Just use toilet paper rolls :)

Reactions: Alrainbow

Trentero

Oct 18, 2019
I have knot heard the Krell but do have the Accuphase e-380 and it is incredible. If you are looking for a musical integrated I would highly recommend the Accuphase.
Thanks for this. Can you comment on the headphone output of the Accuphase? I remember a WhatHiFi review of a comparable Luxman integrated that said the headphone output was disappointing. Accuphase is not Luxman of course, but I wonder if the headphone section in these big integrateds can compare with a dedicated headphone amp.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I had the KRELL K-300i and loved it. It was a great single box solution. The DAC is OK but if you value a single box solution then the DAC is good enough. The sound is uber smooth and so relaxing. Not too much though, my other gear is Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 monos so I am not a tube guy.

I sold the KRELL K-300i to buy a KRELL Duo 175XD stereo amo and that was even better with my CODA 07x preamp and Benchmark LA4 preamp. I am now using the 175XD as headphone amp since I am using AHB2 monos in my speakers. However, once I buy some KEF Blade 2 Meta for my Livingroom I am going to get the new KRELL KSA i400 as the amp to drive it. I have not heard it but I already know it will be great with the KEF. I do not plan on trading in the 175XD either. The new KRELL XD gear is great to my ears.

I sold my CODA 07x preamp last week and will buy a second Benchmark LA4 preamp to go with the upcoming KRELL KSA i400.

I have not heard the Accuphase, but I hope my enthusiasm for the KRELL gives you some insight.

BTW - I have heard Luxman and wanted to get the m900u amp, but the 175XD made me change course on that. The m900u is warmer than the KRELL XD lineup.
I have a Krell Duo 300XD and the Chorus 5200XD. I really like the sound. The dynamics are the best of any amp I've owned especially micro-dynamics. I have had plenty of amps that can deliver low bass but none so "snappy" with other frequencies.

Minatophase3

Aug 20, 2022
Seattle area
Thanks for this. Can you comment on the headphone output of the Accuphase? I remember a WhatHiFi review of a comparable Luxman integrated that said the headphone output was disappointing. Accuphase is not Luxman of course, but I wonder if the headphone section in these big integrateds can compare with a dedicated headphone amp.
Unfortunately I cannot, have never tried it. Everything on the Accuphase is built to a very high standard so I would imagine it is pretty good, but I would assume a dedicated headphone amp may be better, but again, this is just speculation as I am not into headphones.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I have a Krell Duo 300XD and the Chorus 5200XD. I really like the sound. The dynamics are the best of any amp I've owned especially micro-dynamics. I have had plenty of amps that can deliver low bass but none so "snappy" with other frequencies.
What preamp are you using with the 2 KRELL amps?

My dealer for my future KEF Blade 2 Meta is suggesting my choice of the Benchmark LA4 is not a great idea. I have heard the KRELL 175XD with the LA4 and know it works well for my ears. The dealer wants me to consider the KRELL Illusion and Bricasti preamp/DAC, M12.
I do not think most 2 channel gear's headphone section can compete with dedicated headphone amps. The only 1 I can think of is the Benchmark HPA4 preamp. That was amazing with the slightly warm Meze Empy headphones.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
What preamp are you using with the 2 KRELL amps?

My dealer for my future KEF Blade 2 Meta is suggesting my choice of the Benchmark LA4 is not a great idea. I have heard the KRELL 175XD with the LA4 and know it works well for my ears. The dealer wants me to consider the KRELL Illusion and Bricasti preamp/DAC, M12.

I have 4 Theta Gen VIII s3 dacs. They are both analog and digital preamps.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
That Theta Gen VIII s3 seems technically very similar to the Bricasti DAC's.

I have another preamp that came into the picture. The Holo Serene preamp that is supposed to be like the Benchmark LA4 (measures about the same) but maybe a touch warmer. I am going with the LA4 or Serene and the Musetec 005 that I bought a few months ago for this new system.

I SOLD my KRELL Duo 175XD amp last week (locally) and now I have no more KRELL amps. The plan is to go for broke and get the upcoming KRELL KSA i400 amp. The preamp and DAC will be the ones listed above.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Unfortunately I cannot, have never tried it. Everything on the Accuphase is built to a very high standard so I would imagine it is pretty good, but I would assume a dedicated headphone amp may be better, but again, this is just speculation as I am not into headphones.
Usually, the standalone amplifier is better than the one in an integrated amp. Just like everything else: DACs, preamps, phono stages...

As an example, let's take the iCAN PRO Signature:

Even without a power supply and enclosure, it would take up a lot of space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing