About Collections-Enjoy

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Mods-if there is better place for this put it there and let me know. Thanks.

Some random thoughts about collections:

Just because one collects does not mean that the collection contains anything important or high quality. Sometimes it's the collection itself, as a whole, that has meaning - at least to the collector. For example, from my hippie years I assembled a collection of rolling papers! That's right, things to roll joints in. Do you remember all the head shops then? Do you remember all the papers under the counter tops resting next to the hash pipes? I was amazed at the breadth of what was available. Anything from political statements (Spiro Agnew papers), to social statements (the dollar bill papers), to hippie lifestyles (Love papers), etc., etc. I collected them all. Scented papers, flavored papers, long papers, toilet paper papers) papers with filters printed on them and many others. Oh, and many were blue collar papers that were actually used, the world over, for rolling tobacco cigarettes (as Zig Zag's were used originally). The list is long and, in its own way, fascinating. Did you know that France is the capital of rolling paper manufacturing in the world, followed closely by Spain? I'll bet you didn't. Put that in your trivia bag!! :)

Well, even a hippie has to have a useful way to stay busy, right? And you thought that the hippies were a lost generation. How could you think that when we were so busy doing such socially useful things like this?

Over the course of time I had well over 400 different papers in the collection. It was getting hard to remember what I had so duplicates became a problem. So, I cataloged the collection. I developed a coded method of describing papers, the box, the color, and everything else that might distinguish one obscure paper from another. The code string was daunting. I did it this way so I could record the catalog in a small telephone book I could carry in my wallet. You might not realize this, I'm sure you don't, that many papers carried beautiful watermarks. These change periodically. What a shame, almost unforgivable, for a collector to miss a change!! The watermarks were part of the code string. I carried the catalog everywhere I went. You never can tell when you might find an outlier, right? Obscure, indeed, is the collectors mind.

I had friends traveling the world over sending me papers they would find. After a while I discouraged them from doing this. I already had the vast majority. One time a friend traveling in Mexico sent me a paper I did not have. Good!! I thought. As I did for all papers, I smoked one of them. Understand that an important part of the paper collecting protocol was the TASTE of the paper. You can't be expert without knowing this important fact. When he returned, I asked where he had found such a obscure paper. "Oh", he replied, "on the floor of a public bathroom"!! Instantly, I felt sick. But, I survived. Ugg.

I thought this collection would, in the future, be an important lens for historians into the the famous hippie revolution of the sixties much like the album covers of the time. I thought my paper collection was a great idea and I was sure others were doing the same thing all over the country. I was wrong. I have found exactly one other person with a significant collection and that was on the web. His collection is actually a bit better than mine. But we are definitely of melded minds. I was jealous.

No one part of this collection is important. Each piece is trivial. But the collection as a whole is where the value lies. Oh, to be sure there are classic, rare, papers here. But valuable to whom? Only to another collector and they are rare! Only as a collection is there meaning.

I have friends who were 60's freaks. I pull out the collection and they are totally fascinated. "Oh, I remember those Zodiac papers". Or "Oh, I loved those LOVE papers. We had them at Woodstock". And on and on for a whole afternoon of beloved (if not a bit hazy) memories.

I still have the collection. I also collected cigarette rolling machines.

Obscure, indeed, is the mind of the collector!!!!! ;)

Sparky

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sparky-There is guy standing on your front porch with a blue windbreaker that has the letters "DEA" on the back of it. He wants to have a chat with you. :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sparky-There is guy standing on your front porch with a blue windbreaker that has the letters "DEA" on the back of it. He wants to have a chat with you. :D

Hey

Sparky is talking about 400 different types of rolling paper not 400 different types of stash ;)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI mep,
LOL. "Well, I'd reply, I only use those funny little pieces of paper for Sticky Notes. Rolling papers? Don't know what you are talking about. How could this elderly old gentleman possibly know about THAT subject? My pony tail??? Oh, I dislike hair cuts. Care for a hit?" :)

Sparky

(In truth, I have not been around the drug scene for many years. It is frowned upon at work.)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing