Whither Audio Research

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Reactions: PHAA_ and Pacha

jpgr4blu

Dec 9, 2021
I can only say that the Mk 2 upgrade to my Ref 160Ms was done in a few weeks and made a noticeable improvement, especially in the mids and bass. They breathe a bit better--like they have more headroom.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fortunately our country distributor has a top quality technician that is used to service Audio Research for several decades. Dur to the high shipping expense and customs trouble most european distributors had to create and support local service facilities, Audio Research just supplied the parts.

DDgtt

May 1, 2023
Actually I just got a Mola Mola Kaluga, Brian Putzey’s masterpiece of a class D amplifier. Sounds a darn sight better than most class A and class A/B solid state amps I owned. No, it’s not a SET, but I think most audiophiles would be hard pressed to identify it as a class D from its sound.
I just saw your post from much earlier this year. Do you happen to have the Makua preamp with your Kaluga amplifiers? If not the Makua really makes them sing!

Dave Gordon

Audio Research Staff
I've been waiting for a non-warranty repair since early April, that statement lines up with what I was told then.
I am happy to report that Audio Research once again has a full service staff and the wait time for repairs is shrinking. Email service@audioresearch.com to find out how long it will be, and to get into the repair queue.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I am happy to report that Audio Research once again has a full service staff and the wait time for repairs is shrinking. Email service@audioresearch.com to find out how long it will be, and to get into the repair queue.
That's really good news. I also received an email this morning and the tube sets for my Ref 250se amps are now available and after burning in will be on the way to me. :)

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I just saw your post from much earlier this year. Do you happen to have the Makua preamp with your Kaluga amplifiers? If not the Makua really makes them sing!
Yes, I do have the Makua preamp as well with its built in DAC and phono stages. Amazingly versatile preamp. The phono stage is the most flexible one I have ever used in 30+ years. Its design is minimalism in the extreme — no logos of any kind! Everything operates from the iPhone app.

IMG_5387.jpeg

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I thought it would be good to leapfrog the two party discussion of another brand and bring Dave Gordon’s post about ARC’s having filled their technician slots forward.

This is certainly good news for ARC aficionados, and worth highlighting rather than burying.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Now that the new guy has had a few months with the company , has he articulated a new strategy ? Or is the plan to repair old guys’ gear and replace tubes?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
thanks. the question is who has time to watch these videos, other than super-bored alter kakers?
Is "alter kaker" short for meaning the alter-ego of someone who likes cake?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Yeah....I'm and "alter kaker" and I don't have much time for the videos. The few I've tried are pretty thin gruel, not much information density.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Just got an LS28SE preamp, and I can whole-heartedly say that 25+ years in this hobby it's the best preamp I've owned, or heard. I am optimistic that ARC will succeed and they have the right products, and people at the helm now. And although they did just have an untimely price increase that coincides with all these recent issues, I still think they offer a superior product. I truly hope they slot in some more affordable products so they can bring in new folks into the brand. The i50 isn't enough, they need a lower line than even the Foundation to pull folks into what is a great brand with a long heritage. I am told when Fine Sounds owned them the ARC product line was gutted if it posed any competition to the McIntosh brand, so maybe some rebuilding is in order.

Count me in as a fan and supporter of ARC wishing them all the very best moving forward.

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Just got an LS28SE preamp, and I can whole-heartedly say that 25+ years in this hobby it's the best preamp I've owned, or heard. I am optimistic that ARC will succeed and they have the right products, and people at the helm now. And although they did just have an untimely price increase that coincides with all these recent issues, I still think they offer a superior product. I truly hope they slot in some more affordable products so they can bring in new folks into the brand. The i50 isn't enough, they need a lower line than even the Foundation to pull folks into what is a great brand with a long heritage. I am told when Fine Sounds owned them the ARC product line was gutted if it posed any competition to the McIntosh brand, so maybe some rebuilding is in order.

Count me in a fan and supporter of ARC wishing them all the very best moving forward.
I loved my LS28SE. At a meer $10k retail it smoked my $13k retail CJ ET7s2.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I loved my LS28SE. At a meer $10k retail it smoked my $13k retail CJ ET7s2.

Occasionally I ask myself should I have sprung for the Ref6, but honestly don't think I need anymore than this preamp. They really are World class, it completely lifted my entire system, felt like I got a new DAC.

Reactions: Dave Gordon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing