A new Sonus Faber speaker or... a great tease

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Not really surprising, if you consider that SF has probably more than 30 distributors worldwide, and every each of them would probably want at least a pair (and I can imagine, that some of them - like the US distributor - would order more than one).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not really surprising, if you consider that SF has probably more than 30 distributors worldwide, and every each of them would probably want at least a pair (and I can imagine, that some of them - like the US distributor - would order more than one).

Agreed, BUT there is a big difference between selling to your own distributor and to the end consumer. OTOH, selling only 30 pairs of a great new speaker shouldn't be too difficult worldwide. I still think it a little crazy of SF to limit themselves that way, unless they have something else up their sleeves;) Can we say the mass produced SF Extrema Evolution( or Furtura-- or insert name here)!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
1948157_607352376017843_928847935_n.jpg 1948036_607352389351175_613774474_n.jpg 10157234_607352399351174_857057030_n.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't like the split down the middle of the front baffle. The entire speaker including stands is kind of cool looking and kind of not so cool. It's like they tried just a little too hard to make a really good looking speaker which has never been SF's problem in the past.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder if the designer was a Gundam guy as a kid. The shape reminds me an awful lot of a Gundam head.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I don't like the split down the middle of the front baffle. The entire speaker including stands is kind of cool looking and kind of not so cool. It's like they tried just a little too hard to make a really good looking speaker which has never been SF's problem in the past.

Since it's a limited production speaker, I don't think they tried to please anyone other than themselves.

At least they didn't use tacky copper phase plugs like the Nola Seas drivers.

Hope to hear my SF dealer's pair.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Since it's a limited production speaker, I don't think they tried to please anyone other than themselves.

At least they didn't use tacky copper phase plugs like the Nola Seas drivers.

Hope to hear my SF dealer's pair.

Mine haven't even arrived yet and I'm already getting digs.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh, I'm sure I deserved it. If you dish it out you have to be able to take it.

When are yours coming btw? (sorry to the Op for the OT)

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The aim of Franco Serblin was to make speakers, that will allow people to enjoy the music. He wanted to share his experience and his passion.

The aim of the new Ex3ma is different. Production is limited to 30 pairs, which means, that only lucky few, will be able to enjoy them. The Ex3ma is just a PR stunt, which aim is to serve company image, not music lovers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The aim of Franco Serblin was to make speakers, that will allow people to enjoy the music. He wanted to share his experience and his passion.

The aim of the new Ex3ma is different. Production is limited to 30 pairs, which means, that only lucky few, will be able to enjoy them. The Ex3ma is just a PR stunt, which aim is to serve company image, not music lovers.

Don't worry, the music lovers will be served at Munich High End 2014, and I hope you will be there to report us on it! :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think you will agree, that beeing able to listen to a speaker during a show, and owning a pair, are two different things.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you will agree, that beeing able to listen to a speaker during a show, and owning a pair, are two different things.

I was addressing a different subject - the presentation of new Sonus Faber products for the music lovers! The Ex3ma was surely an expensive anniversary celebration party, and an excellent marketing in my opinion. Distributors, reviewers and the SF people had a great time and, as far as I was told, due to the complexity and cost of the parts the company is loosing money on every speaker. IMHO the Ex3ma is just a great quality commemorative speaker.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is why I said it is nothing more than a PR stunt.

Franco Serblin would never create a product just for the sake company image.

Sonus is now a completely different company, with very aggressive sales targets for the distributors and loads of money spent on marketing. They are like other corporations now, where Excel rules and the vision of the original creator, the soul of music - is lost. And that is unfortunate.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That is why I said it is nothing more than a PR stunt.

Franco Serblin would never create a product just for the sake company image.

Sonus is now a completely different company, with very aggressive sales targets for the distributors and loads of money spent on marketing. They are like other corporations now, where Excel rules and the vision of the original creator, the soul of music - is lost. And that is unfortunate.

I have to say we have different views about Sonus Faber. Their current speakers are great, represent great value for money and really manage to reproduce the soul of music. I have owned (and still own some) of the more mystical speakers designed by Franco Serblin, but having hosted the Amatti Futura and the Aida for long time I think they are in the same class of fantastic sounding speakers, capable of recreating the soul of music. Although some times I feel some nostalgia for the old times, I feel that the new generation of younger designers are being able to carry on the mission of their predecessors.

BTW, the old Extrema was one of the more elitist speakers I have ever owned - it needed very specific ancillaries, a proper room that they could energize, very judicious placement and loved high sound levels. I have to say that 90% of the times I listened to it it was only sounding average, but the few times it sounded great it was magnificent. As people often said - it was a real Prima donna!

The best sound reproduction I have ever witnessed included a pair of the TheSonusfaber speakers. Still dreaming about them ...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing