A new marketing method...perhaps?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I received in the mail a package from a new speaker company called BSI ( more on this later). Essentially, the poster was offering me an interesting marketing suggestion. The company would sell me a pair of their speakers at an 'accommodation' price ( to be determined when i e.mailed the poster as to what that price would be) and in return, I would agree to do the following:

a) demo the speakers to anyone who had an interest in the speakers in my home system...for which I would get one of the following:
1) A $500- payment for the demo or 2) $2000- if the potential customer bought a set of speakers from the manufacturer ( presumably at their street $16K cost).

The idea is that IF I manage to sell or demo enough pairs, then at some point these speakers will be mine at essentially no cost! Plus, past the original cost to me, I get to keep all of the monies as per 1 and 2 above.

An interesting marketing technique, IMHO. You use someone else's location thereby saving you any potential rent monies for exhibition space, and you manage to garner a salesman for essentially no charge and at the same time, you get your product into the hands of potentially more people( including the original demo'er) at most likely no cost to you, the manufacturer. On the face of it, it seems to be a win/win. Only thing that sticks in my head is the name of the company....BSI, LOL. ;)

Anyone else being offered this novel marketing opportunity.:rolleyes:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Stay away, stay far away..........

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Likely the accommodation price is what they want to sell it as. The rest of the stuff may never happen but is an enticement to make the person think it is an investment rather than just what it is.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Anyone else being offered this novel marketing opportunity.:rolleyes:
Nope and if I did, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like a variation on the 'white van' scheme that people fell for.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Likely the accommodation price is what they want to sell it as. The rest of the stuff may never happen but is an enticement to make the person think it is an investment rather than just what it is.

Amir,that's my thinking as well. The package of info I received was very inclusive, including a couple of nice glossy photos of the speaker and an upgrade path that included Mundorf Caps, etc. The speakers are 'apparently' manufactured here in San Diego, even though the company address is in Vegas.
What also might not happen is that once paid for, the speaker's never arrive on one's doorstep!:mad: One would feel pretty stupid IF that happened.:(

Not sure how these guys got my address either:confused::confused:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow, they're into speakers now? Call it pyramid or MLM, to me it's the same thing.

A few years ago, a friend was into selling this product they call BioDisc. Pour water into this glass disc and the by drinking this water that flowed through it, the drinker will be free, cured, and prevented from cancer and all sorts of hard to cure diseases. Then, another product came that incredibly raises your 'balance' by just wearing it over your neck. Crystal-like and some clay material. Both are horrendously expensive for what it looks like, and the seller has a 'demo' technique to prove to you that by wearing that necklace you won't fall off balance even if he tries to unbalance you with some physical force. :D

And now, they've abandoned these 2 things and moved into alkaline water filtration units. Kangen brand, costs $4000 and they say it cures cancer (just like the BioDisc which they abandoned) and makes you health improve several-fold. :D An in-law is very much into this that is why I know a lot about this technique. If I buy it, and convince other people to buy it as well, I get some amount of money which they will 'save' for you in their books. Then, if the one who bought from you sells to somebody else, you get some more money n their books, and so on. I am given a DVD disc to pass around and to 'demo' how dirty your present drinking water is, with some A/B test, and this gets passed down the line of prospective buyers as well.

I have been warning my family about this for a long time, but it seems more products are being used to implement this marketing 'style'. I'd stay out of these things with a 30 feet pole even though I'm very fond of loudspeakers. :D

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Multi Level Marketing pure and simple.. I would stay away from them .. They know where you live and you are not sure how (Red Flag) and now you would voluntarily share some of your financial information with them .. Caveat Emptor.. They will get a few audiophiles. I can guarantee you.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
After looking through the packet of info on this speaker deal.... I come across this comment from Vincent Enzo the "guru" of BSI loudspeakers:
"Wanna hear a funny story? After a potential Model-4 buyer auditioned my speakers he said he wanted to audition a competitor's $20,000- speaker before he made his decision. I am aware of the competitor's $20,000 speaker. It uses one $40 indonesian mid bass....one $30 indonesian tweeter....the crossover is made of cheap **** too. I laughed at his ignorance. My ScanSpeak tweeters are $508 each. Midbass drivers are $380 a pop....I use 4 per pair! My 10" woofers are $415 each and I have 4 of them per pair! I showed him the difference in the drivers from my supplier catalog and it didn't do anything to get his head right! So I told him I didn't want his business."

Then further on: "If you were intelligent, you'd pick a Model-4. If your'e a dumbass hung up on a certain "brand name"...by all means go buy their speaker...I don't want idiots as customers".

Wow,have to wonder who is editing this guy's releases:eek:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So he has $2,900 in drivers in each. Let's say the crossover is $100 and the cabinet & assembly is another $400. That makes it $3,400 each at his cost. For a pair that is $7,000. So if the retail is $16,000, even discounted he makes good money.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
After looking through the packet of info on this speaker deal.... I come across this comment from Vincent Enzo the "guru" of BSI loudspeakers:
"Wanna hear a funny story? After a potential Model-4 buyer auditioned my speakers he said he wanted to audition a competitor's $20,000- speaker before he made his decision. I am aware of the competitor's $20,000 speaker. It uses one $40 indonesian mid bass....one $30 indonesian tweeter....the crossover is made of cheap **** too. I laughed at his ignorance. My ScanSpeak tweeters are $508 each. Midbass drivers are $380 a pop....I use 4 per pair! My 10" woofers are $415 each and I have 4 of them per pair! I showed him the difference in the drivers from my supplier catalog and it didn't do anything to get his head right! So I told him I didn't want his business."

Then further on: "If you were intelligent, you'd pick a Model-4. If your'e a dumbass hung up on a certain "brand name"...by all means go buy their speaker...I don't want idiots as customers".

Wow,have to wonder who is editing this guy's releases:eek:

no wonder he had to go underground and house to house. he probably realized his salesmanship isn't too fine. and one thing i noticed about this mlm approach - they lie through their teeth. and when confronted with their lies and misrepresentations, they have lightning quick premeditated answers. i once asked one of those selling balancing pendants why they don't sell it via the major drug store chains if they really work wonders for our health. they quick reply (like he'd anticipated such questions) was: "they always overprice and make a killing!" :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think you can get even just a premium paint job for something that size for $400. I'd put the finished cabinets at $3,000 to $4,000 a pair if they are CNC'ed and assembled and finished in the USA. I haven't seen the XOs but they did mention Mundorf as an option. If it's the Silver/Golds I don't think you can buy one piece (XO value) types for a $100 either. I'm thinking his product cost is just a shade under half of his retail. Wait that's not right. He should have a 30% or more spread. The drivers won't reach a grand per pair.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Found a website:

http://bsiloudspeakers.com/about_our_model-4.html

There is a quote from some Gary Lea at Positive Feedback praising these loudspeakers...

Something interesting going on here.

First of all, there's no attribution of the actual review eg. volume, link, etc. That makes no sense.

Then I did a search of the entire review archives of PFO for both BSI and Gary Lea and couldn't find any review of these speakers.

The only other answer is that 1) Gary heard them somewhere and commented to the manufacturer, 2) BSI took a quote maybe from a show report or 3) the review was done for another magazine that Gary wrote for and misattributed?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I noticed that these BSI speakers are being advertised in the current issue of S'phile. This time at a supposed price of $24K BUT instead of an outright buy, the ad suggests that one finance them! Stating...." The Model 3 is a bonafide $24K loudspeaker you can OWN for just $299.97/mo. Your financing is 100% guaranteed! Yes- for the price of your monthly electric bill...you'll be enjoying breath taking performance this very weekend in your private listening room!"
Plus, you can choose any automotive color you like....the ad stating.." We color sand the finish up to 3000 grit so it's smoother than most $100K luxury vehicles"...:eek:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing