A clever way of dampening tube vibrations

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I have used many forms of vibration dampers for tubes in the past with varying results.
Pearl coolers,EAT dampers,Duende Creatura rings etc etc.
I have come out with an idea after making a simple experiment with a piece of soft rubber
cut with a scissors.My tubes run down the depth of the amps in pairs (five of them),
plus one 6SNGT far at the back.
When i inserted the pieces of rubber between the tubes so that every pair becomes a unit,
i noticed much less vibration than any other dampening device!
Standard tests like knocking on the amp's chassis or tapping on the tubes showed significant
reduce in tube "ringing".
It looks like when two tubes are "tied" together they tend to resonate much less ...
So i am thinking of fabricating something like a double C construction (two c's ,one facing opposite
to the other) with silicone inserts (O-rings) cut into each C.Then each tube will be half-embraced
by each C section and both will be pressed into the C's with a larger O-ring that will push each one towards the other.The material will be cut out of 1cm Teflon sheet making it immune to heat.
I will have to make some tests as to which is the best place along the tubes to place the damping
and i will report back.
Anyone has tried something like this or has something similar to propose?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing