50k people attend concert with pre-recorded music

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Brendon

I understand and agree with what you say but try as I may (and I have many times over) I just cannot cozy up to modern classical as it does nothing but negatively stimulate my senses. I do admit however that my intrusion into this genre as a result of said experiences has been superficial at best

Hey Steve,

Well, I’m not too dissimilar to you in some regards. For instance I’ve tried many times to get into reggae and modern blues but just cannot do it. Scratch Perry and the Mad Professor, fine; Dan Auerbach and the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, fine - but almost everything else leaves me cold. I think perhaps there are just some genres that for whatever reason don’t connect to either our intellect nor our emotions.

I know Bob Marley and SRV are legends for good reason, but I’ve never owned a single track of theirs, and unless something radical happens, perhaps never will. I certainly understand how that could be the case for the works of Cage, Xenakis, Messiaen, Ligeti, Varèse, et al. Again, to acknowledge someone’s contribution to music is not necessarily the same as endorsing it on a personal level.

That's not to say I rule out one day finding myself in a record shop and being overwhelmed with the desire to own Texas Flood or Exodus. I mean, stranger things have happened.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Some music is an "acquired" taste that may take time and numerous listening sessions to eventually connect with. It all depends on your personal biases and the structure / complexity of the music in question.

Most folks find contemporary classical very atonal, lacking in rhythmic structure, and chaotic in nature. And the use of minor keys in many pieces, think Bartok, doesn't help one to have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
what a bunch of squares you lot are...
You've become your parents

'You lot'? Don't generalize towards all participants in this thread, please.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing