50k people attend concert with pre-recorded music

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I watched this show on CNN last night. It is hosted by Lisa Ling. She talked about a 3 day concert she attended on the grounds of the original Woodstock. It drew 50k people that danced to pre-recorded hosted by disc jockeys. She said in times past the musicians would of been the stars of the show. She said at this show the DJ's are the stars.

I always thought the idea of a concert was to listen to live music. I must be getting old because I can not relate to this at all. If they call this progress I want no part of it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I watched this show on CNN last night. It is hosted by Lisa Ling. She talked about a 3 day concert she attended on the grounds of the original Woodstock. It drew 50k people that danced to pre-recorded hosted by disc jockeys. She said in times past the musicians would of been the stars of the show. She said at this show the DJ's are the stars.

I always thought the idea of a concert was to listen to live music. I must be getting old because I can not relate to this at all. If they call this progress I want no part of it.

The world's top paid DJ pulls in $66mln. / year. If he does say 2 shows per week, that translates into over 500,000 per gig.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I also saw that broadcast.

Seems like everyone was enjoying the music and, given the location, reliving a piece of history.

Anything wrong with that? :confused:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Listening to recorded music is what happens at an ordinary party--NOT a concert.

I would never want a DJ at an affair I was having. In so many cases, the DJ takes over and he becomes the star of the evening--not the bride and groom or whomever is having the affair. With a band and real, live musicians, there is often one person in the band acting as the MC, but they don't take over the spotlight like a DJ does.

A concert is for musicians to perform live music, not for an announcer to play recordings.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Listening to recorded music is what happens at an ordinary party--NOT a concert.

I would never want a DJ at an affair I was having. In so many cases, the DJ takes over and he becomes the star of the evening--not the bride and groom or whomever is having the affair. With a band and real, live musicians, there is often one person in the band acting as the MC, but they don't take over the spotlight like a DJ does.

A concert is for musicians to perform live music, not for an announcer to play recordings.

I agree with you 100%. I thought it was totally ridiculous.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

There is the old saying that i am not going to spend my hard earned ducketts to watch someone press play.

You have not experiences deep atmosphere changing bass till you go to one of these, it literaly scrambles your insides and can make the more sensitive puke.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

There is the old saying that i am not going to spend my hard earned ducketts to watch someone press play.

You have not experiences deep atmosphere changing bass till you go to one of these, it literaly scrambles your insides and can make the more sensitive puke.

I'll pass on any concert that plays in excess of 100 dB or doesn't have chairs for the concert-goer. Standing and having people talking or singing along and flailing theirs arms around is NOT how one listens to music.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I understand the sentiment that concerts are for live music, if it's other than that maybe thinking of it as a party is more accurate and more what it's like to attend those kind of events. Some DJs are performance artists who write/compose music electronically and often play it back to audiences without a band... listen to Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, Infected Mushroom and Pretty Lights and tell me there's no talent there... Other DJs mostly just play music, but at events like raves they are responsible for the keeping the music going which is a major responsibility. Often it's not a concert where the music is the whole point, it's a party.

Also, very few people own audio systems that can even come close to reproducing electronic music at the volume intended for it to be listened to, especially with full frequency extension in the bottom octaves. Sometimes you need earplugs but there are a few systems that are unbelievable as far as how loud they can play and the amount of physical bass impact they are capable of. The Ogden Theater in Denver is a good example... it's an experience... :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

This was part of it. One of my all time favorite songs.
This is a poor recording but i urge you to listen to it, I love this interpertion of her original. Listen to her voice, grrrrrr!

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
:eek:

Withe a very young Graham Lear on drums.

Can we just agree to use the word performance or show and not spend pages debating it! :p

And if you are not in this country and seriously dont know what Woodstock is to music history in the US, Google and YouTube are your friend.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

This was part of it. One of my all time favorite songs.
This is a poor recording but i urge you to listen to it, I love this interpertion of her original. Listen to her voice, grrrrrr!

The studio recording is a better performance.

As far as Grace's voice is concerned, she could have used autotune for this recording.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'll pass on any concert that plays in excess of 100 dB or doesn't have chairs for the concert-goer. Standing and having people talking or singing along and flailing theirs arms around is NOT how one listens to music.

No, it is how YOU do not listen to music. How anyone listens to music is their own interpitation.

And yes the studio version of White Rabbit is a better performance over all, I really enjoy her phrasing and throatiness on this rendition. It stirs me.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I really enjoy going to classical concerts for the music, but the stuffiness of it annoys me and at times makes me want to laugh.

I remember many years ago I went to Dorthey Chandler with some friends, we were serious as anybody about the show, but we showed up in shorts and polo shirts and I thought they were not going to let us in and we were treated like peasents all night. People looking down their noses all night, it was hysterical. We were well versed in the etiquete and didnt break any sacrid rules but was fun watching the stares. Make eye contact with them and they turned their heads.

I bet if you showed up at EDC in a tux you would be welcomed and not judged.

All music is for everybody and how everybody chooses to experience it should not be judged by anyone else unless it brings physical harm to you.

Anyhow I could do this all night but its been a long day and going to be longer tomorrow so I must sleep.

Sorry for the misspellings and love all yall

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
To me music is the one thing that could bring this world together universally and peacfully, not create further barriers.

Good night

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
To me music is the one thing that could bring this world together universally and peacefully, not create further barriers.
Good night

Norman, I'm totally with you man...right on right on right on! :b

Is it Norman, or is it Mike...John?

By the way, that video above...I wish I was sixteen again.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I presume you mean this is not how YOU listen to music, which is of course entriely your prerogative, but leave the millions of people that have other preference / listening habits out of it.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
And what piece of history would that be?

I believe the venue was Jasper's farm aka Woodstock but I may be wrong.

I think we need to debate this issue for at least another four pages. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing