2-Channel Relaxation Pod

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Several members have seen a few pics of my stuff in my album and sent along some kind words that are most appreciated. I thought I would go ahead and post here with some additional pictures.

The room was designed by Jeff Hedback of hdAcoustics and includes RPG BAD Arc's, Ethan's diffusors in the rear, custom treatments for the corners, ceilings and rear alcove, and the backlit front "floating" wall is actually a diaphragmatic membrane Jeff designed that not only looks cool, but has an excellent impact on room acoustics.

As for the system....from the wall to the speakers is as follows:
Dedicated lines with their own panel
Synergistic Research PowerCell 10SE Conditioner
Vitus Signature SCD-010 CDP
Vac Renaissance Signature MK II Preamp
Vac Phi 300.1 monoblocks
Speakers are a custom design by Danny Richie using B&G Neo 8's and Peerless 6.5" with a highly modified Mundorf based network built by Bill Baker of Response Audio
Power cords are Purist Audio 25th Anniversary Contego on amps and pre, Vitus Andromeda on CDP
Interconnects are KCI Silkworm +
Speaker cables are Purist Audio Proteus Provectus
SRA Ohio Class platforms on Custom Isolation Products acrylic racks

Albert, Marty and maybe a few others here have been by before. I guess I would describe the sound here as balanced tonally with a hint of warmth, a wide and deep soundstage, great dynamics and image has been improved this past week with some refined work on speaker and seat placement. They may have heard it different and can chime in.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Dude that's not a pod, it's a palace. A pod is a headphone system and a recliner in one corner of a small room.

P

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Dude that's not a pod, it's a palace. A pod is a headphone system and a recliner in one corner of a small room.

P

+ 1

.. Congrats .. Great Room .. Artful and clearly well though of ... How tall are these speakers ?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Breathtaking! I am speechless and totally in awe!

John

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Folks, this system was designed by a music lover for the express purpose of loving music. The room is a masterpiece sonically and even more rare, aesthetically. There is not a note out of place here, either in the sonics of the room or the decor, which all can plainly see is simply stunning. What I think is particularly impressive is that some of the design features that make the room so extraordinary are not very expensive to implement, such as the backlighting of the rear wall and indirect lighting seen elsewhere. Very classy and tasteful and a model for how to do it "right". Ya gotta love the message when you see the listening chair and sofa set up behind it. It screams "make no mistake, this system has a sweet spot and the chair is it". But it also screams "and because I am a gentleman who cares about the pleasure of my guests, I've managed to get you a pretty damn good and comfortable seat at the show on the sofa as well". Like any great host, Arthur makes sure that you are sitting in the "chair" as he either departs for the sofa or heads downstairs to make sure the refreshments are on the way up.

Now to the sound. What you really have to admire is that although it may not appear so at first, Arthur is really a value hunter. Yes, he has SOA electronics but only because he saw no other way to crack the problem. But for speakers, he basically fashioned them as a home brew project using components and different fabricators (for cabinet and outboard crossover) that resulted in stunning sound at a fraction of what some other SOA speakers cost. When I first heard about the system, I was eager to hear it because I wanted to hear what the B&G midrange drivers could do in a line array set up. They do not disappoint. As some of you might know, I have a sense that B&G Radia drivers such as the LA-800, might be the basis of a true SOA system if someone took the time to figure out how to put them in a freestanding cabinet with top line crossover components. It was not until I heard Arthur's system hear that I was convinced this could be closer to reality than I ever imagined. In essence, this is what Arthur did, albeit it with slightly different components than the B&G drivers in the LA800. (The LA800 has a separate tweeter line array in addition to a midrange line array whereas Arthurs towers are a 2-way using a B&G driver to do everything above the low frequencies delivered by the woofer driver line array).

So not only did I get to hear a fabulous system in a magnificent setting, but I got a glimpse of what might be possible using a very similar line array design with slightly different components. However, it took Arthur's imagination and drive to put a system like this together, whereas I'm not sure I have the talent or impetus to do something like that myself. This is all the more reason that Arthur deserves sincere congratulations and has my admiration. Its not just a great system in a great setting. It was a design project from the heart that was brilliantly conceived and successfully implemented. As such, it is a true giant killer in terms of cost vs performance. Kudos. If you're thinking what I'm thinking, you can sense the excitement. Because I'm thinking, what is Arthur going to be up to next?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Woww.. Always liked VAC Phi line... Great room design... I was going to finishbwit ENJOY but thats an Oxymorum!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Arthurs

Am I allowed to copy your room? Dimensions and room treatments? I will go for different gear else copy everything :)

Seriously dimensions and room treatments info would be interesting ... as well as room construction

Thanks for posting this beautiful room ...

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Arthurs

Am I allowed to copy your room? Dimensions and room treatments? I will go for different gear else copy everything :)

Seriously dimensions and room treatments info would be interesting ... as well as room construction

Thanks for posting this beautiful room ...

Thanks so much Frantz, that's very kind of you. Drop me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with the designer who has all the info.

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Beautiful room arthurs! Aesthetics and equipment are top notch. I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
You couldn't have given your room a better name. I feel relaxed just viewing the pictures of your room.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Thanks guys, your kind words are humbly appreciated. I'll have to post some updated pictures at some point. I moved the center rack to the side wall near my chair and added a pair of JL Audio F113's.

Anyone coming through or near Fort Worth is welcome to drop me a line and come on by for a listen!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
REALLY nice!!

I have a daughter living in Dallas and was able to see/hear Marty's incredible system on a previous visit. On my next visit, I hope to have time to come by if you will allow it. I could enjoy being in THAT room just listening to head phones.

Truly spectacular. WOW!!

I'm a big fan of big speakers. in fact, I am in the process of re-acquiring my previous customized Dunlavy SC-VI's, seen in my old room below.

Your room/speaker setup is as nice as I have ever seen.

Job well done!!

Attachments

• Front Right..jpg
    Front Right..jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 388

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Simply beautiful. What kind of bass response do you get from these speakers? Any hints on what they cost to assemble?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
As you can tell, I'm not Art, but I do know a little about these speakers. These speakers have an in-room extension of about 16 Hz. This will vary depending upon room gain. The crossover has a passive bass management system that allows the bass to be tailored to the room response. They were going to be sold by JAM'n Audio and you can read about their pricing on the webpage that is still available. Custom Concepts, that built the cabinets, took many preorders (and payments) from Audiocircle members and, as far as I know, has not made any more of these speakers. Art has since added custom square bases to his speakers.

If you can get someone to build the cabinets, you can buy the kits from GR Research with all the drivers, wire, crossover components, etc. There are many that are still building these speakers. I rolled the dice last fall and ended up with three pairs of LS-6 cabinets (only 6 tweeters/8 woofers instead of 9/12) with Brazilian Rosewood veneer for only $450 (including delivery). I have received one kit and hope to have one pair built out soon. I keep looking at Art's pictures for inspiration. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing