1917 - Official Trailer [HD]

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Finally saw this film

As the saying goes, you save the best for last.

Quite honestly I feel the Golden Globes got this one right

This movie is absolutely riveting. It's as if it is filmed in real time in one scene.

It is so realistic that you find your self on the edge of your seat watching these 2 kids going through their own eyes and get closer to the front line only to take a few steps into no man's land and a few step more they are behind enemy lines

We all know the story. The trailer tells it all
What is interesting is that this story was inspired by Director Sam Mendes paternal grandfather who fought in WW l. He relayed a story to a 10 yo Sam Mendes about this mission and the story grew from that.

with 2 unknowns in the lead roles all I can say is they were well cast.

you can't take your eyes away as the camera is moving so fast with the action that you have to wonder how they made this film. It is literally one scene

Cameo appearances by Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch made the film even more intersting

You all know my favorite to date was Joker and it remains "a" favorite because of the nature of the story. It put reality to the character ofJoker

1917 however has the following nods for me
Picture
Director
Cinematography
Editing
Sound
Original Story
Screen Adaptation

This movie is beyond anything that I have ever seen before. Previously my favorite war drama was having Private Ryan and continues to be there. However 1917 is so unique that it is as if you were there for the fight.

There is no way the The Irish Man IMHO stands a chance against this movie. It is one scene with no break in the story or the action

95% on Rotten Tomatoes

It is as if the set was the entire movie. There were no edits or fades. You are there and with them along the way. It is horrifying as we watch these 2 set out to carry out their orders

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Awesome Steve, this is my missing link that surprised me @ the Golden Globe Awards.
Now I really want to see it @ the theater. Thanks for the comments, coming from you they have their golden Oscar weight.

Steve Williams

It’s a must see Bob.
a very simple story with a plot told in the 2 minute trailer.
But you truly are left breathless. The
closest thing recently has been the camera work in Uncut Gems which was at a staccato pace. This camera work is absolutely masterful giving you the feeling of real time

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The Music City Film Critics Association have given their awards for the best in film for 2019 and the Sam Mendes WWI epic 1917 was the big winner, taking Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, Editing and Sound.

Joaquin Phoenix, Lupita Nyong’o, Brad Pitt and Florence Pugh were the group’s acting winners with Knives Out chosen as the best ensemble.

Here is the full list of winners.

? Best Picture: 1917

? Best Director: Sam Mendes, 1917

* Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
* Best Actress: Lupita Nyong’o, Us
Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh – Little Women

* Best Screenplay: Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won, Parasite

* Best Acting Ensemble: Knives Out

Best Young Actor: Roman Griffin Davis, Jojo Rabbit
Best Young Actress: Kyliegh Curran, Doctor Sleep

* Best Animated Film: Toy Story 4
* Best Documentary: Apollo 11
* Best Foreign Film: Parasite

Best Action: Avengers: Endgame
Best Comedy: Knives Out
Best Music Film: Rocketman
Best Horror Film: Us

? Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins, 1917
? Best Editing: Lee Smith, 1917
* Best Production Design: Barbara Ling, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
* Best Score: Hildur Guðnadóttir, Joker
Best Song: “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman
? Best Sound: 1917

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Can't wait till Sunday :) I've heard this was the film of the year months ago. Seems it vs. Hollywood is the race this year.

We finally saw Ford v Ferrari yesterday and really enjoyed it - but its not best picture, nor best actor imo. It took some Hollywood liberties (nobody believed he stole ferrari stopwatches), but still a great movie.

Steve Williams

'1917' is fantastic.
I’m glad someone else here saw it

it is an epic film. Far and away better than last years Dunkirk
my prediction
Best Film
Director
cinematography
Editing
Sound
Screenplay

it is a mind bending roller coaster ride shot in one scene

Shear genius

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My favorite movies of the year so far:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - truly epic
Ford vs. Ferrari
Marriage Story

honorable mention: Knives Out

1917 up next, but Hollywood loves to vote for itself so Tarantino may have the edge just based on that.

I thought Joker was just a 70s Scorsese copycat which takes it out of the running for any best picture talk. It was shot well, but totally see why it was polarizing unlike Dark Knight. Did we even see how he became leader of the underground? He got crapped on throughout the entire movie even at the end. Phoenix gave a great performance; not sure how much was acting though lol. Since both Jack and Ledger had such iconic Joker roles, may be tougher than some expect. Driver was honestly as good if not better. I would put Bale under those two but loved him as Ken Myles.

Steve Williams

lets have you report back after you see 1917

As for Joker I totally disagree. A finer male performance did not exist this year IMHO nor is it a typical Scorsese movie. Irish Man was a typical Scorsese movie. I think you missed the entire point of Joker

F vs F for me was a meh. Just not in my top anything

I refuse to see Marriage Story

I loved Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. My Third favorite film this year behind 1917 and Joker. Brad Pitt should win Best Supporting

Ive seen them all and I didn't think anything was better than Joker until I saw 1917.

Joker is based entirely around the superb acting of Joaquin Phoenix whereas 1917 is an epic story with 2 unknowns in the lead but the cinematography is like nothing I have ever seen.
1917 will be the big winner but Once Upon A Time could surprise us all

I see the Irish Man as getting shut out

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I saw the Joker last night and was kept up all night thinking about that performance. Genius.

AS for 1917, I'm going to see if tomorrow for sure.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Joker is genius

watching him descend into a total psychotic state and seeing him act it was truly remarkable. Best male performance I’ve seen in years. Plus the Director has only done comedy (Hangover) prior to this. I have a sentimental hope it will win. He will for sure. But 1917 is so incredibly remarkable that it is all about the cinematography. Also shear genius.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
lets have you report back after you see 1917

As for Joker I totally disagree. A finer male performance did not exist this year IMHO nor is it a typical Scorsese movie. Irish Man was a typical Scorsese movie. I think you missed the entire point of Joker

eh, it was clown Taxi Driver meets King of Comedy. Exceptionally obvious. Great performance in a good movie.

if you won’t see the competition, that’s your prerogative

Steve Williams

I know this is off topic and in the wrong thread but here is how I view this joker vs comparison to others.
You may be correct because those movies were well played and always about The Joker Joker 2019 IMHO is NOT about The Joker but rather the life of a little man named Arthur Fleck who was shunned by society because of his incessant outbursts of laughter. This brought ridicule and neglect by society because Arthur wanted to be a comedian and failed miserably bringing even more ridicule. We then watch Arthur descend into total depravity as he commits crimes to get even with society until he becomes his alter ego , the Joker This is why I feel the movie is so unique

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We're going to the theater this week to see 1917, depending of how much snow falling ...

After that it's going to be a lot of fun in trying to predict the Oscars next month ... nominations are tomorrow.
And perhaps it'll be easy ...

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw 1917 today - excellent film.

For all the movies that glorify war, this is the antidote - and likely a more accurate protrayal.

Reactions: NorthStar

Joe P

May 11, 2019
I also saw the film today.

Great story.

Haven't seen all of the acclaimed movies this year, but I enjoyed Ford v Ferrari more.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I saw it today and it was a thrilling ride, absolutely fantastic. The technique used to make if look like one continuous take was developed by Alfred Hitchcock. A must see in the movie theater.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing