185.000 $ CD player !!

I want my five minutes back which got wasted on what this guy wrote. I still don't know what he wrote! :). And are we to assume they know a ton about audio, putting the speakers against a bunch of glass in a semi-circular room?

I am going to have to go and read the manufacturer's claims next.....

This is getting ridiculous..can you believe this ? According to Audio Federation (dealer) it's the best thing ever...

Guy;-)

http://audiofederation.com/blog/archives/805

I predict we wil see before the end of next year a U$100,000 speaker cable ... for 3 meter pair ... We have already crossed the nonsense line .. with numerous >$100 K amps and preamps ... why not CD system since this thing has a DAC too .. Although I do agree with you ...

Hi

Typically, bad CDs are very painful to listen to because their badness, often very aggressive digital-sounding notes, is too hard for most players to handle

The above quote is from the Audio Federation web site "review" of the CD player ... This is a gem ... Will wonders ever cease?

Obviously the reviewer's native language is not English, but apart from that he's just decribing what digital replay will sound like when you get all of the bugs out of the system. Of course the cost is ridiculous, and the vast majority of the fancy bits in the Audio Note gear is completely unnecessary for getting good sound out, but it demonstrates if someone persists with fiddling with digital long enough that eventually you can win the battle ...:)

Frank

Obviously the reviewer's native language is not English, but apart from that he's just decribing what digital replay will sound like when you get all of the bugs out of the system. Of course the cost is ridiculous, and the vast majority of the fancy bits in the Audio Note gear is completely unnecessary for getting good sound out, but it demonstrates if someone persists with fiddling with digital long enough that eventually you can win the battle ...:)

Frank

Audio Federation is owned by Mike and Nelli a husband and wife team. She knows her audio. They are in Boulder. My daughter is a junior at University of Boulder and I have been to their place. Their entire home is a multitude of show rooms with some very expensive equipment perched high on the mountain overlooking Boulder

185k for a top Audio Note CD player is a reasonable and expected price for the Audio Note way of life - just look at the price of their top products.

The Audio Federation page is poor, but it is not Audio Note fault. Since this is the WTB forum, I would be very pleased to read about the Audio Note type of sound, its rational and experience from happy owners. The type of systematic negative speech that is being carried in this thread will not help us creating an enlightening forum.

I have had very limited contact with Audio Note products, but the hour and an half I spent with Peter Qvortrup more than twenty years ago listening to opera played with one his middle range systems was really enjoyable.

They listen to Cocteau Twins so I like the couple already.

Man, that's a lot of scratch. Make it Pesos and not Dollars and I might be tempted. I wonder what in the world prompted Peter Q to even undertake a project like this. There must be enough silver in there for a dinner set for 14.

Oops, I have a narrow perspective! I saw the period after 185 and assumed the price was going to be $185. I thought we would be alerted to a great deal for the garage system.

She knows her audio.
Sorry if I got the reviewer's gender wrong!

As for positive experiences of the brand, our Vince, muralman1, swears by an Audio Note DAC, slightly modified, of course :). There have been many accounts of positive movements forward in sound by the Audio Note brand, and in my reading between the lines of their efforts a lot of it has to do with the simplifying of the circuitry, plus meticulous attention to detail.

So I'm sure this gear will do the job, if you're willing to pay ...:D

Frank

I heard their top transport, and I can say without a blush, the 47 Lab Flatfish is leagues better on my system. Also, I can see that since I have been touting the diode upgrade to the digital power supply, they indeed have upgraded the diodes on their DACs. They aren't using what I am... but I am willing to give them the doubt they did it right. If they did, I promise you... You do not know just how good AN DACs are sounding.

Well the market has kept Audio Note alive so there must be people out there that they cater to. Who's to say these people are not in full possession of their faculties? They buy them because they can, I think it's really just that simple.

I assume you're joking, as I can't imagine anyone in full possession of his faculties saying such a thing.

Andy,

Please check the Audio Note brand top products before doubting on my sanity. I just listen, see and read :) You will find that the quoted price is in line with their top products. Some of their silver transformers cost more than a reasonable car.

BTW, if you are looking for material to feed a campaign against expensive hifi there are a few sites that have lists of equipment costing more than 5 figures. And the lists are really long ...

Disclaimer : I know and acknowledge the existence of the law of the diminishing returns. :cool:

Well the market has kept Audio Note alive so there must be people out there that they cater to. Who's to say these people are not in full possession of their faculties? They buy them because they can, I think it's really just that simple.

At those kinds of prices, the things could be completely built by hand, one-off, and the sale of a single cd player could provide someone with a decent middle-class income. It doesn't take much of a market, just a lot of moxie.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing