Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

I got FW 6.0.7 and Air2.1 to work today - using iTunes on a Macbook Pro. Apart from 1 or 2 network glitches streaming was fine up to 192khz sampling rate - and wonderful sound!

However, the Configuration was a struggle - I am sharing in case this is useful:
- I started off using my existing config file (incl. the working Wifi setup) under 5.7.3, which is supposed to work also under the new firmware. Yet the Devialet simply did not connect to the network. It took me 2 hours to figure out that under the latest FW and Air2.1 apparently the network key gets truncated!! Admittedly I was using a pretty long key, yet it would be helpful if Devialet would inform us users about such issues. With a new, shorter network key it now works.
- Regarding the new 6.0 Configurator: I was unable to upload my old config file. It pretends it does, but after uploading the file it is being ignored. Then after going through the configuration again, it seems you cannot rename the Inputs, as it was possible under the old configurator...
- An easy workaround: Using the old 5.7.3 configurator to edit / update the config file, which then worked fine also with the 6.0.7 firmware. I hope the new Configurator will be fixed in future releases...

Cheers
Eric

Good tips, especially the WiFi key name! As for the in-/output names, you can edit these by simply clicking on the current name in the advanced configurator.

Thanks IanG and Gorkitek. As you say, panel speakers tend to dominate rooms a lot and this is also my concern with the Quads. The Martin Logans I had years ago were at least "half" transparent but the Quads seem to be black intransparent panels. It's just their sound that's sooo good.

Which moving coil comes to your mind as being plus/minus equivalent? I am Ayons with ceramic drivers right now, which are not bad at all, but some "something" is missing.

I'm using Magico Q1 but they are very expensive at £28k. Keep a look out for full range BMR speakers which can sound like an electrostatic - CML Etude is pretty good and only about £2k with stands.

Good tips, especially the WiFi key name! As for the in-/output names, you can edit these by simply clicking on the current name in the advanced configurator.

You can also supress inputs by clicking on the input (not the input name)

I'm using ATC 50 passive speakers , they are the only speakers I've heard which are as neutral as my former Quad 2805s but go considerably louder. Fantastic with the Devialet.

Oohps - thanks for the hint, I missed that one...

(...) In this case it was a second Devialet-Premier in a dual mono amp use. More seriousness, more silence, blackness and control and the loss of what I call "crisp" in the middle regions.
All over I can recommend the D-Ps warmly to anyone having critical (...)

Welcome to WBF Marting. Did you have the opportunity to listen to the new models? How do they compare with the D-Premier in terms of "crisp in the middle regions" - also my main concern with the Devialet!

Hi microstrip.
Actually no. And in a way I was a little upset when I got the information about the new systems. Especially the very "cheap" offer for an upgrade of my "old" Devialets. I bought them roughly 1/2 year ago. But this is business. Always something new. Always the claim for something better. This is live.
However, I am very satisfied with my two Devis in the bridged mode. There definitely is no such "crispy" sound problem when having two Devis in the the bridged mode. They have an absolute control over my nasty electrostatic speakers.
What might be of more interest: I made a comparison between a MAC mini with iTunes and my Media-PC with JRiver as a source for the Devialets to check which sounds better. To make it pretty short: JRiver is THE right source. iTunes (at the MAC) sounds a little fatty and definitely less transparent compared to JRiver. And I did not do the Windows fine-tuning yet, as it is a pretty new Windows 8 setup. Nor did I do an Convolution setup for JRiver yet. So for everybody asking for the best source for the Devialets in terms of "best sounding source", at least for me, I found the answer.
And finally, I did not encounter any network or connection problems with the new 6.0.7 firmware or 2.1 Air. Nor did I get even a single nasty gap after 4 hours of usage.
I am really excited by the new software version.

I have to correct my statement...
mhmpf.
I got an interruption of the connection to the Devialets. I had to switch them on and off, so that Air 2.1 could address/ find them again.
However, that does not change my statement about the sound of the Devialets respectively the better sounding of JRiver as a source.

I made a comparison between a MAC mini with iTunes and my Media-PC with JRiver as a source for the Devialets to check which sounds better. To make it pretty short: JRiver is THE right source. iTunes (at the MAC) sounds a little fatty and definitely less transparent compared to JRiver.
How can this be explained from a technical view? And how does this fit to Devialets statement that D-Premier's sound is very neutral. Obviously it isn't cause it can be more ore less fatty, transparent and who knows what else depending on the 'source'?! I heard it with iTunes on a Mac and cannot imagine more transparency than I heard. Clear benefit with JRiver via Windows? Or small differences? Sounding and a matter of taste or really better?

Hi microstrip.
Actually no. And in a way I was a little upset when I got the information about the new systems. Especially the very "cheap" offer for an upgrade of my "old" Devialets. I bought them roughly 1/2 year ago. But this is business. Always something new. Always the claim for something better. This is live.
However, I am very satisfied with my two Devis in the bridged mode. There definitely is no such "crispy" sound problem when having two Devis in the the bridged mode. They have an absolute control over my nasty electrostatic speakers.
What might be of more interest: I made a comparison between a MAC mini with iTunes and my Media-PC with JRiver as a source for the Devialets to check which sounds better. To make it pretty short: JRiver is THE right source. iTunes (at the MAC) sounds a little fatty and definitely less transparent compared to JRiver. And I did not do the Windows fine-tuning yet, as it is a pretty new Windows 8 setup. Nor did I do an Convolution setup for JRiver yet. So for everybody asking for the best source for the Devialets in terms of "best sounding source", at least for me, I found the answer.
And finally, I did not encounter any network or connection problems with the new 6.0.7 firmware or 2.1 Air. Nor did I get even a single nasty gap after 4 hours of usage.
I am really excited by the new software version.

Hi marting, for curiosity, did you use "bit perfect" mode with iTunes on the Mac? I would have thought with "bit perfect" streaming (provided that it works without hickups) and the Devialet taking care of the clocking (minimizing jitter...), this is as good as you can hope for regarding your digital source?

I have to correct my statement...
mhmpf.
I got an interruption of the connection to the Devialets. I had to switch them on and off, so that Air 2.1 could address/ find them again.
However, that does not change my statement about the sound of the Devialets respectively the better sounding of JRiver as a source.

So now this happened to me the first time as well. Sudden connection breakdown, having to switch Off an On again to reconnect to Air2.1. (streaming at 44khz with strong -23db network)

Seems to be a common theme...

Hi marting, for curiosity, did you use "bit perfect" mode with iTunes on the Mac? I would have thought with "bit perfect" streaming (provided that it works without hickups) and the Devialet taking care of the clocking (minimizing jitter...), this is as good as you can hope for regarding your digital source?

We could really do with a statement from Devialet as to what they regard as the optimum operation of their product, be it Mac or PC, iTunes or Amarra or JRiver or ...

I asked earlier on this forum, but without reply:

"Would anyone who knows care to explain how Amarra or Audirvana or whatever works with Air2?

My understanding originally was that these bits of software would not work with Air1 and that it was Devialet's design to get a "pure" iTunes file without any processing, modification or interference from the iTunes and/or Mac system.

I presume this remains Devialet's aim but now, with the virtual sound card, it seems that Amarra, etc, can be accommodated.

So presumably you chose Devialet's preferred architecture (iTunes/Air2) or another (iTunes"+"/Amarra/Air2"-")? What are the technical gains and losses?"

I prefer to stick with the simplicity of Mac/iTunes/Air2 which gives astounding sound quality and, in my environment, great stability extensively tested with 16/44.1 - which represents 99.5% of my music library. Of course, others are free to try other architectures and preferences. But it would be good to understand the technicalities which sit behind these various options.

I would have thought with "bit perfect" streaming (provided that it works without hickups) and the Devialet taking care of the clocking (minimizing jitter...), this is as good as you can hope for regarding your digital source?

The old 'bits are bits' and it should not make a difference statement. Unfortunately what goes on at the computer side does make a difference and this also applies to packet streaming (Wifi or Ethernet). Look at all the 'bit perfect' software players out there that do sound different to each other. Firmware with no apparent programming changes on sonics will als affect sonics as the code is processed differently which results in changes. These changes can be so small to be almost unnoticeable or easily heard.

What is happening at the Windows side with Jriver using WASPI (Itunes bit perfect for AIR not available on Windows) is affecting the sonics in a better way than itunes on a Mac, at least according to Marting.

I have been a proponent of Jriver for use with the Devialet for a while and the new software now makes this a possibility. My hardware is Mac Mini and I also have Jriver. The problem with JRiver on the Mac is that it has to go through the mixer and is not direct to the D-Premier like the Windows (WASPI) configuration.

Thanks for your feedback Marting .... I will look to try Jriver with Windows when I get a few other technical issues resolved.

I still find it disconcerting that the Mac's own volume control is involved, although it is presumably just a fairly trivial bit of information that's transferred from the Devialet to the computer. Does Windows have a master volume control which is usable when JRiver/WASAPI is playing ( ie not JRiver's own volume control ) ? I thought that normally when you install your own soundcard, eg on a pro desktop mac, the volume control is disabled.

Last edited:
@Togil, to you question: yes and only the Windows system volume control should be used. JRiver users should set 'volume control' to disabled for bitperfect playback.

Devialet responded earlier to my question why we can use the system volume control in Windows:

To your question, when you use WASAPI bit perfect mode, the mixer is completely bypassed. Setting the volume changes the Devialet's volume because the virtual/software controls are mapped to the hardware controls of the Devialet. So when you set the volume in Windows, it is as if it would be done using the remote. This is really as "Bit Perfect" as "Bit Perfect" can be!

The old 'bits are bits' and it should not make a difference statement. Unfortunately what goes on at the computer side does make a difference and this also applies to packet streaming (Wifi or Ethernet). Look at all the 'bit perfect' software players out there that do sound different to each other. Firmware with no apparent programming changes on sonics will als affect sonics as the code is processed differently which results in changes. These changes can be so small to be almost unnoticeable or easily heard.

What is happening at the Windows side with Jriver using WASPI (Itunes bit perfect for AIR not available on Windows) is affecting the sonics in a better way than itunes on a Mac, at least according to Marting.

? "will als affect sonics" surely "may also affect sonics"

Let's hope this thread does no go down the currently irreconcilable route of

- "bits are bits and do not make a difference"
versus
- "I can hear a sighted difference (even if you cannot) and therefore there is one"

Does the technology exist to fully analyse data packets and any differences as they arrive at the Devialet?

Does the technology exist to undertake statistically significant single listener double blind listening tests?

Will someone do them?

If yes, great. If no, debate, for the thousandth time, may be worthless.

You can set the start-up volume using the configurator - the default setting is, I think, -40db

Just checked , it does NOT use the default setting but the one on the Mac slider. A little bug that has to be reported to Devialet as it could potentially damage a loudspeaker.

? "will als affect sonics" surely "may also affect sonics"

Let's hope this thread does no go down the currently irreconcilable route of

- "bits are bits and do not make a difference"
versus
- "I can hear a sighted difference (even if you cannot) and therefore there is one"

Does the technology exist to fully analyse data packets and any differences as they arrive at the Devialet?

Does the technology exist to undertake statistically significant single listener double blind listening tests?

Will someone do them?

If yes, great. If no, debate, for the thousandth time, may be worthless.

Hi.
Time for a reply. IanG-UK I would like to underline your statement in any case. It was and nor it is in my intention to push this kind of discussion. I know this kind of discussions very well. But for me there is no RIGHT and no WRONG. There is no final statement about what is best as this would ignore one's wallet, personal listening preferences and especially different room acoustics!!! The last point so often is neglected. There can't be a final statement! And if there is someone hearing differences with component A compared to component B... well that's fine for him. That does not mean that this will have an effect for a second person in a second listening configuration and therefore there is no such thing like the absolute truth. Very often I get the impression that the people forget, that we are talking about a hobby. It is a hobby... especially MY hobby... to test things out. I like to do so. And I just wanted to indicate, that I personally heard a clear difference when comparing JRiver/ Win8 to iTunes/MAC. And it is important to say, that I am basically to count to the Windows hater fraction. ;)
In stipulating this I merely would like to push others to test it also and find out what they experienced. Just sharing personal impressions. Nothing else. :)
However, also passing over to Eric, I made a comparison with optimum settings in both cases. Bit perfect mode in the iTunes/MAC case and WASAPI in the JRiver/Win8 case.

When talking about this experience I also would like to point out, that I PERSONALLY made a complete different listening experience to Devialet's disclaimer! That means, while Devialet claims that there is/ was no necessity to use AMARRA anymore as they would have developed a bit perfect streaming connection to the Devialets with their Air 1.5 ... I definitely made a completely different listening experience! That means, I had a clearly noticeable three dimensional optimization when using AMARRA in combination. That was the case till the new Air 2.0/ 2.1. With this solution the AMARRA Effect is gone. *sob* AMARRA now caused a degradation in sound, as I had the impression the sound gets softened and in a way artificial. (Again, this is my personal impression. No claim for the one and only truth!)
However, concerning my listening experience I just can underline, that the new firmware/ air update made a fantastic step forward and I am overwhelmed to the new sound-stage, accurateness, holographic and natural reproduction of the recording. I never had it any better and I never heard it any better. :)

That's all I can say. Just give it a try and check it out. If you have a MAC book, iMac or MAC mini and also a Windows PC, give the comparison a try and I really would be interested to read about your personal listening experience. What did you find out?

But beside my statement pro JRiver there definitely is to say that configuring a Windows PC takes much more time and experience than getting a MAC to work fine with the Devialets.

Last edited:
Hi.
Time for a reply. IanG-UK I would like to underline your statement in any case. It was and nor it is in my intention to push this kind of discussion. I know this kind of discussions very well. But for me there is no RIGHT and no WRONG. There is no final statement about what is best as this would ignore one's wallet, personal listening preferences and especially different room acoustics!!! The last point so often is neglected. There can't be a final statement! And if there is someone hearing differences with component A compared to component B... well that's fine for him. That does not mean that this will have an effect for a second person in a second listening configuration and therefore there is no such thing like the absolute truth. Very often I get the impression that the people forget, that we are talking about a hobby. It is a hobby... especially MY hobby... to test things out. I like to do so. And I just wanted to indicate, that I personally heard a clear difference when comparing JRiver/ Win8 to iTunes/MAC. And it is important to say, that I am basically to count to the Windows hater fraction. ;)
In stipulating this I merely would like to push others to test it also and find out what they experienced. Just sharing personal impressions. Nothing else. :)

However, concerning my listening experience I just can underline, that the new firmware/ air update made a fantastic step forward and I am overwhelmed to the new sound-stage, accurateness, holographic and natural reproduction of the recording. I never had it any better and I never heard it any better. :)

That's all I can say. Just give it a try and check it out. If you have a MAC book, iMac or MAC mini and also a Windows PC, give the comparison a try and I really would be interested to read about your personal listening experience. What did you find out?

Thanks marting. That is fair.

I don't have a Windows PC so I cannot do the try-outs you suggest.

My point is that someone out there (maybe a technical reviewer like Paul Miller of HiFi News) should do tests to ascertain what, if any, differences can be identified between data packets as they reach the Devialet and what, if any, differences can be identified at a statistically significant level in double blind listening tests.

Otherwise (or maybe even in spite of that), this software industry will continue to issue new and updated releases ('Amarra+, jRiver mk 2, jPlay extra, PureMusic enhanced") some or all of which may be of questionable value. I accept that it is a free market and those who wish to buy such stuff will do so, those who don't won't.

So now this happened to me the first time as well. Sudden connection breakdown, having to switch Off an On again to reconnect to Air2.1. (streaming at 44khz with strong -23db network)

Seems to be a common theme..

yes and this should be 1st priority to solve by Devialet,it doesn't work properly,everytime i think i am there,then I get a drop out.
So many reports this on different forums,the air solution is not god enough yet IMO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing