Amplifiers perform audibly differently under different speaker loads?

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
I'm a bit confused.

From what I can gather from this and Dons excellent work in the other thread, it seems that in 'some' cases amps can sound different when driving different speakers. Let's for now assume those simulated (?..not measured?) FR differences are audible to all of us.

Here is where I start getting confused.

I mean it's all well and good chasing these (and let's be brutally honest here) slight-at least in the scheme of things-variations of FR as a means of tuning the sound to personal preference. Well, it at least tends towards personal preference because within the limited budgets of mere mortals we don't have the funds to stock a catalog of these 'random' FR variations supplied by amps to allow us to hone in on our exact personal preference.

God help us if we are next day in party mode with it's preference.

What tho of all the hidden detail and miraculous revelations found with a different amp?

It's all down to extremely slight FR differences?

Crikey, buy a decent amp with enough power that it can drive any load at any frequency at any volume without struggle, and get yourself a decent equaliser to dial in your exact preference on any given day.

And still have a chunkachange in your pocket.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I
'm a bit confused.

From what I can gather from this and Dons excellent work in the other thread, it seems that in 'some' cases amps can sound different when driving different speakers. Let's for now assume those simulated (?..not measured?) FR differences are audible to all of us.

In absolute terms? Sure. But even Don's testing of radically different amplifier designs with radically different output impedances measured a difference that few, if any of us, would actually hear. 5 dB at 20khz.

Crikey, buy a decent amp with enough power that it can drive any load at any frequency at any volume without struggle, and get yourself a decent equaliser to dial in your exact preference on any given day.
You didn't get the memo, did you? You see, EQ...actually being able to control variations in linearity, is unacceptable, fraught with potential distortions. Bad. Very bad. Like tone controls only worse. But a $10k amp that is incapable of predictable performance under a real speaker load?

Synergy.

Tim

Oh, lest I forget: :)

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
In absolute terms? Sure. But even Don's testing of radically different amplifier designs with radically different output impedances measured a difference that few, if any of us, would actually hear. 5 dB at 20khz.

Yeah, get all of that of course, but as I said, for the sake of argument let's not only assume we can all hear it, equally those differences are of the veil lifting type (depending on the artist I'd prefer skirt lifting, but the thought of a hairy scottish baritone makes me shudder) so veils it remains.

To me the salient point is that it is still pot luck, who knows what chocolate flavour you're gonna get from the box. And, if it is all about 'what you prefer' why the heck are we still relying on an expensive lottery? For gawds sake, be a bit like god in your own domain and 'make it so' in terms of YOUR exact individual preference.

Heck, let's not even stray into the benefits that might bring when you come across a recording that YOU feel has the wrong spectral balance and then, again, 'making it so'.

You didn't get the memo, did you? You see, EQ...actually being able to control variations in linearity, is unacceptable, fraught with potential distortions. Bad. Very bad. Like tone controls only worse. But a $10k amp that is incapable of predictable performance under a real speaker load?

Synergy.

Tim

Oh, lest I forget: :)

Yeah, got it, chuckled an awful lot and consigned it to it's proper place.

Spose we'd better bring up 'phase problems' that eq brings round about now? You know, all the while ignoring the corresponding phase problems that caps and coils bring in a passive network....

Boy, what a shock to the system to find out all these different veils are simply a by product of tiny changes to the perceived FR at the LP.

I mean, imagine what the menagerie of stuck on parts Carver used did to the phase response of the modded amp...yet in the end unable to be differentiated by the most professional golden ears on the planet.

Now, an interesting addition to that series of tests would have been an accompanying set of FR of some description, see if 'the closer the two measured responses came the closer the perceived sound' or summat like that. In those days tho I'd imagine it would have been an esoteric and expensive exercise to do, quite unlike today's environment.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Amps don't sound. Speakers do. In my opinion, an amplifier's performance is intertwined with the speaker or driver it is used with. An amp may be very linear with one speaker and be all over the place with another. If linearity is the goal find an amp that allows the speaker to behave linearly. It really is no biggie. It may or may not be easy but really, if that's the goal, that's all there is to it. Whether you actually like the result given that linearity is only a small part of qualitative assessment, is another matter altogether.

Which should be easily demonstrable and...well, I'm a bit shocked, frankly, that some of you guys just seem to just accept this as if it is no biggie. It strikes me as extremely problematic. Manufacturers have worked for decades to reduce distortion, drop noise floors, etc., knowing that once you actually hook their amps up to speakers all bets are off? I would think the best amp builders would be busting their patooties to solve this problem and tooting their horns, complete with charts and graphs and paragraphs on the back explaining each (forgive the 60s hippie reference) every time they made an improvement. One thing is for sure -- if it's frequency response and distortion spectrum, at least, and it's audible? It's measurable. Why would the better magazines not be doing these measurements when they review amps, across a range of speakers representing a range of loads, so they could make informed recommendations regarding how to best use the amps they rave about? If the XYZ Extraordinaire is clean, quiet and linear driving Magicos but struggles with the upper midrange, generating a fatiguing harshness when wired up to Revels, wouldn't that be critical information that would be part and parcel of reviewing? And wouldn't measuring, at least the basics of noise, FR, distortion spectra, across multiple loads be the very heart of creating system synergy?

I'm not sure I believe it. I know I don't want to. Something is terribly wrong with this picture.
Tim

If I can step in here, first, anyone interested in this subject should read this article:http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Paradigms_in_Amplifier_Design.php

In a nutshell, we have the issue of making the amp or speaker look good on paper as opposed to (or somewhat opposed to) sounding good. The two are not the same IOW. If you want the amp to follow human hearing rules, and do the things the ear is looking for in a good way, it does not follow that it will measure well as the things we measure don't have a lot to do with that.

I'll give you a great example. The ear hears harmonic distortion as tonality. In fact it may well favor distortion over actual frequency response. In that regard there is a tipping point. This is why one amp can sound bright and another won't and yet both measure flat on the bench. The bright one will have slightly more odd ordered harmonic distortion.

Taken to a more base level some audiophiles found that they prefer tubes. Over the decades, this resulted in tubes not going away. Since tubes can't double power as impedance is halved, some designers make speakers that don't demand that of the amp. Sometimes they make other demands. I'll give you two examples:

ESLs. Not so happy with transistors- with such they tend to make too much highs and not enough bass. This is because transistors double power as impedance is halved (which can work really well with a box speaker, where impedance peaks often represent resonance). ESLs have an impedance curve that is based on a capacitance rather than box resonance. So they really want constant power rather than constant voltage. They have a high impedance in the bass and a low impedance in the treble region. This makes it hard for a transistor amp to make power and at the same time makes it hard to not sound bright. OTOH a tube amp can make, in many cases, constant power over the impedance range. In the case of the Sound Lab this means that a 200 watt tube amp can easily keep up with a 600 watt transistor amp.

Box speaker. In this case the speaker is designed on Voltage rules. The crossover is supposed to keep highs out of the woofer by causing an increase in impedance at the out-of-band frequencies. However, a tube amp with a high output impedance is being used. The crossover is found to be ineffective- it is somehow passing information to the woofer that the woofer should not see. The result: colorations and extra energy in the midrange. This is caused by the fact that the voltage ruies for designing a crossover don't work with such amplifiers.

It is the conflict of these two design, test and measurement paradigms that we have the tubes/transistor debate and also the objectivist/subjectivist debate, and the topic of this thread, why some amps will have variable response on some speakers. You have to match amps and speakers of the same technology or you get colorations as I gave in the examples above. It would be nice if we could rely on one method to insure uniform response (that was the purpose of the Voltage Paradigm BTW) but the fact is that to get that uniform response a price is often paid, a sonic price. That is why the Power Paradigm is still around.

There is also a current drive model, but it never developed into a set of rules although people such as Nelson Pass do experiement with it. And for those who think I made some of this up, that is not the case. I simply created the outline of what is already there. If you want proof, take a look at this: http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=fisher+A-80+amplifier&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Its a Google search, look at the third hit. Its a video of a Fisher A-80 amplifier, a veiw of the 'Z-Matic' knob, labeled 'Constant Voltage' at 7 o'clock, 'Constant Power' at noon and 'Constant Current' at 5 o'clock. IOW this has been going on for about 55 years. Its an inconvenient truth that the industry does not like to talk about (one which also costs audiophiles money over mis-matched components); the specs on paper are there to make the equipment look good, but our ears hear something else. This problem would go away if the market insisted on specs having something to do with human perceptual rules. Don't hold your breath.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Atmasphere,

I honestly cannot speak knowledgeably about your post above...i'm no techie. But it does make sense to me...i might have even learned something! And i appreciate your time in making such a long and detailed explanation which benefits non-techies like me. Very, very interesting read (and re-read!).

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Yeah its like 4.5 or 5 it is among one of the most powerful amplifiers ever made period. It also had i believe 16-24 250v 30a custom Motorola metal-can output devices per channel. It could double its power to .5 ohms. We did all the jack hammer comparison propoganda around those amps, it was a fun time in the audio biz. It sounded pretty damn good, was fairly high bias class A 100-150 watts I believe. It started a trend for sure. Sonically I was a fan of the earlier amps which is what inspired me to form BSC.

Early as in KSA50 (fan cooled) ..?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Hello Atmasphere,

Well built SS amps dont have any issues driving ESL's, those with instability issues from weak PSU do. Now where are ESL's most efficient , Bass or treble region ... ? :)

Distortion:

Agree about the distortion spectra and how we hear, we had already started to discuss this in another thread where i had posted up a few graphs for explanation.

Frankly the SS vs Tubes are pretty well played out in my books, we know we can get good sound from both , the real issues are the speakers . Speakers optimized to sound good on tubes , will never sound good on SS and vis a vie. SOTA type speakers will have low impedances and will require drive and control to sound right, very different if you choose a16 ohm horn type speaker , different game, different sound, factor in output transformers and it changes again, get an OTL, impedance and phase angle Issues ...

Choose poison and synergy ....

Regards,

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
If I can step in here, first, anyone interested in this subject should read this article:http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Paradigms_in_Amplifier_Design.php

In a nutshell, we have the issue of making the amp or speaker look good on paper as opposed to (or somewhat opposed to) sounding good. The two are not the same IOW. If you want the amp to follow human hearing rules, and do the things the ear is looking for in a good way, it does not follow that it will measure well as the things we measure don't have a lot to do with that.

I'll give you a great example. The ear hears harmonic distortion as tonality. In fact it may well favor distortion over actual frequency response. In that regard there is a tipping point. This is why one amp can sound bright and another won't and yet both measure flat on the bench. The bright one will have slightly more odd ordered harmonic distortion.

As your linked paper references, more than 50 years ago there was already evidence and multiple studies that THD had very poor correlation to distortion audibility. Early estimations were slightly simplified but in the ballpark weighting higher order distortions as much more audible. The huge amount of study that went into what was audible for audio compression methods confirmed and revealed many other details which correlate well with what types of distortion are audible and/or offensive. More recently Earl Geddes published his own mathematically derived weighting functions to better define how audible different distortions were. In a few examples poorly designed, early solid state amps were used as examples.

Many still ignore the bulk of work since THD is much easier to measure, and decisions feel easier if they can be boiled down to fewer parameters, no matter how little they matter. :rolleyes:

Box speaker. In this case the speaker is designed on Voltage rules. The crossover is supposed to keep highs out of the woofer by causing an increase in impedance at the out-of-band frequencies. However, a tube amp with a high output impedance is being used. The crossover is found to be ineffective- it is somehow passing information to the woofer that the woofer should not see. The result: colorations and extra energy in the midrange. This is caused by the fact that the voltage ruies for designing a crossover don't work with such amplifiers.

I have to call this claim out. The only case where you might have such a case of an amplifier over-riding a crossover is with an ideal current source and a simple 1st order crossover using only a single inductor... while NOT having the HF element connected to the amplifier. In any real world use, this is not the case. High source impedance driving a loudspeaker will affect the speaker's behavior, but to imply crossover design principals change radically is wrong.

Its a Google search, look at the third hit. Its a video of a Fisher A-80 amplifier, a veiw of the 'Z-Matic' knob, labeled 'Constant Voltage' at 7 o'clock, 'Constant Power' at noon and 'Constant Current' at 5 o'clock. IOW this has been going on for about 55 years. Its an inconvenient truth that the industry does not like to talk about (one which also costs audiophiles money over mis-matched components); the specs on paper are there to make the equipment look good, but our ears hear something else. This problem would go away if the market insisted on specs having something to do with human perceptual rules. Don't hold your breath.

You mention measurements in your linked paper where you state "It is very easy to tell how an amplifier will sound using measurements based on the Power Paradigm as the measurements are made with regards to understanding and working with the rules of human hearing. " Could you clarify and specify what sort of measurements you are pointing to here?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am going to unashamedly put in a plug for the Krell KSA-250 amp. I know of no speaker that this amp won’t drive effortlessly. If there is one, it must have some really wacky issues. And none of this would matter if the KSA-250 didn’t sound really good which I for one believe it does. In my home with my system/speakers, the KSA-250 is just unflappable. It never breaks a sweat. It just effortlessly powers the speakers and I don’t find any part of the sound spectrum to stand out in relation to other parts of the sound spectrum.

It’s reassuring to me knowing that my amp is going to sail through whatever impedance dips my speakers can throw at it and that it can and will double down on its output power all the way down to .5 ohms. How many amps being built today are capable of putting out 4000 watts into .5 ohms? I never worry about clipping this amp. Again, none of this would matter if it didn’t sound great. I can promise you all that I don’t think about my ‘next’ amp anymore. And based on its weight, I hope I never do. I’m sitting here with a surgically repaired bicep tendon in my right arm and thinking about lifting the KSA-250 is enough to send shivers through me at this stage of my healing (which is less than two weeks out from my surgery).

I can only imagine how much the KSA-250 would sell for if it was being made today. I feel lucky to own it and I think it represents one of the true bargains in used high-end audio-even if you have to send it back to Krell to have it brought up to spec (and you should if you buy one that has never been recapped). I firmly believe the KSA-250 will give you more than a large slice of what high-end sound is all about.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am going to unashamedly put in a plug for the Krell KSA-250 amp. I know of no speaker that this amp won’t drive effortlessly. If there is one, it must have some really wacky issues. And none of this would matter if the KSA-250 didn’t sound really good which I for one believe it does. In my home with my system/speakers, the KSA-250 is just unflappable. It never breaks a sweat. It just effortlessly powers the speakers and I don’t find any part of the sound spectrum to stand out in relation to other parts of the sound spectrum.

It’s reassuring to me knowing that my amp is going to sail through whatever impedance dips my speakers can throw at it and that it can and will double down on its output power all the way down to .5 ohms. How many amps being built today are capable of putting out 4000 watts into .5 ohms? I never worry about clipping this amp. Again, none of this would matter if it didn’t sound great. I can promise you all that I don’t think about my ‘next’ amp anymore. And based on its weight, I hope I never do. I’m sitting here with a surgically repaired bicep tendon in my right arm and thinking about lifting the KSA-250 is enough to send shivers through me at this stage of my healing (which is less than two weeks out from my surgery).

I can only imagine how much the KSA-250 would sell for if it was being made today. I feel lucky to own it and I think it represents one of the true bargains in used high-end audio-even if you have to send it back to Krell to have it brought up to spec (and you should if you buy one that has never been recapped). I firmly believe the KSA-250 will give you more than a large slice of what high-end sound is all about.

I have not had the pleasure of listening to this amp...but have heard many a Krell incl older FPB650 monos...These are indeed superb pieces of equipment and are truly high end. i could completely imagine why you have stopped looking for amps...enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing