Studer a807.. FINALLY!! Master Tapes and Legal Matters... How Grey is this area?

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Hi guys, as some of you know, I've been knocking about for some time now, attempting to get into 2 track 15ips on a limited budget, and DIY ethos.
The DIY thing was fine and dandy with TT's, and after ending up with a very capable, high performing Turntable (slate Lenco) and building a couple of Bottlehead kits, guitar amps, etc; as I started hearing more about tape, I decided to jump in.
I really do believe, in retrospect, that the sensible way to go with tape is to buy a refurbished, well serviced machine from a well known seller, or a knowledgeable tech. However, I decided to go the 'other' route... craigslist, garage sales, Broadcast studios, and the like. I had a lot of fun, and a lot of headaches, as these are complex machines, and not something to just "jump into" working on, diagnosing, and servicing. Techs who actually work on these machines are few and far between, and parts are sometimes unobtanium. The Sony 766-2 I was raving about has been knocked off her perch.... after all of that running around, finding techs and such,
I did finally manage to get lucky, and found a Studer a807 for a very reasonable price, that needed a pinch roller. With all of the machines I have around here, I was able to find a replacement for the pinch roller, and after a thorough cleaning, and demag, the Studer is playing perfectly, I can FINALLY listen to those old 7.5 ips 2 tracks.
Now, to the point: Now that I have the deck, I need some tapes!!!! I plan on getting a couple of Doc's Tape Project titles, but more importantly, Let's say I have a source for Master dubs of different artists and titles, I'm finally in a position to start putting together a collection of tapes, so......
What I am wondering about is: Where do you guys get/find your tapes? What is the official status of these tapes? are they 'legal'? I'm not so much worried about the classical titles, as they are mostly so old that licensing rights etc. have expired long ago.... I'm wondering about stuff like, The Beatles, Doors,Crosby Stills Nash, Miles Davis, and the more 'famous' or 'popular' artists and titles? Can I get in trouble for possessing these tapes?
*Just so that there is no confusion, this is simply a theoretical situation of which I speak... I do not at the present time, possess, or plan on acquiring duplicates of any of the above Artists works at this time, or any time in the future**
PS: I am now ready to clean out the shop, sort out all of my decks, and begin selling them off, and finding new homes for the ones I cannot bear to part with... I promise to photograph all of them, as well as my 'new' Studer!
Harv

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
You can find some sources for taped music here at the forum, some options are of course Tape Project, Quinton Records, Opus and eBay.

Ooopss, I was forgetting our Tony Ma here :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What is the official status of these tapes? are they 'legal'? I'm not so much worried about the classical titles, as they are mostly so old that licensing rights etc. have expired long ago.... I'm wondering about stuff like, The Beatles, Doors,Crosby Stills Nash, Miles Davis, and the more 'famous' or 'popular' artists and titles? Can I get in trouble for possessing these tapes?Harv

Only if you try to sell them or make money off of them. People rip CD's and trade files all the time. You don't see the police knocking on their doors.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Ok, thanks for that info Bruce!
I now have in my possession 2 reels, with labels: CBS INTERNATIONAL MANUFACTURING SERVICE CENTRE-AUDIO DEPARTMENT
Haarlem-holland
Title Kind of Blue
Artist Miles Davis
Matrix 1955 project b/c date 6-11-95
SM 911 safety master bc
Full sessions -prod. Backup
Stereo 15ips 1/2tr iec peak level+6

Very 'official' looking
I'm supposing this was a Dutch CBS safety master.
I'll clean and demag my a807 before giving it a whirl.
Wondering: is it best to get xlr to rca adapters or hardwire the outputs to rca jacks?
Also.., any quick 'mods' i could perform to wake up the stock output repro electronics?
Next up: Beatles Abbey Road!!!
(Drool)!!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Pics to come shortly. For now I'm selling off ALL of my 4 tracks and select factory 2 track tapes and decks to fund my new habit!

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Ok I give.... what's the new habit? Have you given up on tape altogether?

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Ok I give.... what's the new habit? Have you given up on tape altogether?
Ha!! Ok I should have specified:
I'm keeping the Studer, selling the other decks and factory tapes.. My new habit is 15ips safety master dupes!
I need to sell off extraneous gear and get an outboard tape preamp for the Studer now....

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Ha!! Ok I should have specified:
I'm keeping the Studer, selling the other decks and factory tapes.. My new habit is 15ips safety master dupes!
I need to sell off extraneous gear and get an outboard tape preamp for the Studer now....
Hi Hxt1
I think you are on the right track, once you up grade your level can not looking back, like my PR99, it was much better after modified, but it is on the side for long time, it is not easy to sell it because it had been modified, the only way I can keep it for future is convert it to 4 track for those 7.5 ips pre recorded tape which I still have some of my favor players, but do not listen it with 15 ips 2 track at the same time, maybe can combine listening with vinyl
tony ma

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Hi Hxt1
I think you are on the right track, once you up grade your level can not looking back, like my PR99, it was much better after modified, but it is on the side for long time, it is not easy to sell it because it had been modified, the only way I can keep it for future is convert it to 4 track for those 7.5 ips pre recorded tape which I still have some of my favor players, but do not listen it with 15 ips 2 track at the same time, maybe can combine listening with vinyl
tony ma

Yeah, well MY pr99 (thread: 99 problems) is 'modded' with the AJ mods, but my capstan motor stopped working, a local tech offered his services, then refused to work on it because it had been modded... Weird, considering he jumped on the thread itself to offer help... Sigh.
I put so much work into fixing up the 99 and getting it looking beautiful, an now it sits, gathering dust!
I'm reluctant to sell my sketches of spain 4 track because it is so very, very good.. Probably the best 4 track i have! I'd like to put a 4 track head in my studer at some point, or at least dub the Sketches tape.
Don't know what to do with the PR99 at this point , sell for parts, or keep it and figure out the problem myself.
The Sony is going on the chopping block, as well as the Crown. The Ampex I may just have to keep!
This is a sickness, indeed!

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Yeah, well MY pr99 (thread: 99 problems) is 'modded' with the AJ mods, but my capstan motor stopped working, a local tech offered his services, then refused to work on it because it had been modded... Weird, considering he jumped on the thread itself to offer help... Sigh.
!

I don't want to start a flame war here, but I was the tech that offered to look at the PR99. To qualify, I've worked on 100s of RTR machines, primarily lower end consumer units below the level of what people on this forum are using, but I certainly know my way around RTRs, both mechanically and electronically, and own the calibration equipment to tweak bias and align heads, etc.

Now when I got Hxt1s Revox, I noticed that two RCA jacks had been 'installed' on the chassis where two DIN connectors used to be. The RCA jacks were the 'pro' type that had a solid thread on them, slightly larger than the hole for the original DIN jack. I also noticed that one of the RCA jacks was installed at an angle, which made no sense to me. It did, once I popped the cover on the Revox.

As per Hxt1's post, he said that he'd documented all of the modifications done to the machine. That may be so, but here are some of the highlights of the unit:

-it didn't appear that a drill was used to drill out the correct hole size for the RCA jacks. Rather, the metal of the chassis was simply bent out to accommodate the jack. That's why the one was mounted at an angle, due to the bent metal around the chassis.
-the wires that were connected to the RCA jacks were cut off the DIN connectors, and the DIN connectors with the remaining wires were dangling loose in the chassis.
-there was an 'experimenter's' type PC board wired in the top left corner of the chassis, with mystery wires running to other boards. This board was poorly soldered, and was held to the wiring harness with one wire tie. No screws, no solid mounting.
-there were some capacitors added to the foil side of the capstan speed control. These caps were far too large for the board, and to fit the caps in between the speed control PC board and a board above it, the speed control board was bent with the caps squished between the boards.
-other sundry wires were spliced mid-air, with copious amounts of electrical tape used for the splice.
--other wires were cut, and left dangling.

So gentlemen, as a tech, I pride myself in my work. I'm one of a select handful of board level techs in Vancouver, never mind in BC that still works on vintage audio equipment. I generally have no problems with mods and tweaks... if they are done well. In this case, I had opened a veritable rats nest of very poorly executed mods that 'worked for a couple of days and died'. To properly repair this deck, I would first have to unmod the set to make sure the stock deck worked properly, and then re-install the mods with proper capacitors and a clean-up of the dangling PC board, etc. With a bunch of cut wires, this would take a number of hours to do, far more than I had expected the job to take, and never mind that a hacked deck like this to me is always compromised in terms of reliability.

I politely called Hxt1 and explained that there was no way I wanted to work on the deck based on the condition described above. My recommendation was for him to find another working PR99, get the mods done in a professional manner, and use this deck as a parts unit. I must say, I'm very surprised to see him post his above quoted comment. His last explanation of the mods done (by someone else, he claimed) is that they were simply tacked in temporarily to see if they worked, then 'someone else' was going to clean them up later.

BTW, he also brought me a Sony TC-766 deck that he'd bought locally on CL. I saw the deck on CL, read the problems with it, and passed on buying it. The deck worked.. until Hxt1 slipped with a meter probe and 'must have blown a fuse or something'. I did repair that deck, but it took 4 hours worth of work and a handful of parts to completely rebuild the 24 volt power supply that had blown.

To everyone else, be very careful about how you mod your equipment, or more importantly, if you send your equipment out to someone else, make sure the person is competent to do the mods. In my opinion, his PR99 is toast due to the mods. I do have pictures if this thread is going to take on new life....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'll clean and demag my a807 before giving it a whirl.
Wondering: is it best to get xlr to rca adapters or hardwire the outputs to rca jacks?
Also.., any quick 'mods' i could perform to wake up the stock output repro electronics?
Next up: Beatles Abbey Road!!!
(Drool)!!

After reading what your tech said about your PR-99, I would stay far away from any "quick mods' and the person who performed them for you as they obviously have no idea what they are doing. Somebody trashed your PR-99 doing some "quick mods."

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Hxt1. I'd like to first say that I have no stake in this, only some friendly advice. Given the list of things stated by the tech who has had a chance to go through the unit, listed below...

-it didn't appear that a drill was used to drill out the correct hole size for the RCA jacks. Rather, the metal of the chassis was simply bent out to accommodate the jack. That's why the one was mounted at an angle, due to the bent metal around the chassis.
-the wires that were connected to the RCA jacks were cut off the DIN connectors, and the DIN connectors with the remaining wires dangling loose in the chassis.
-there was an 'experimenter's' type PC board wired in the top left corner of the chassis, with mystery wires running to other boards. This board was poorly soldered, and was held to the wiring harness with one wire tie. No screws, no solid mounting.
-there were some capacitors added to the foil side of the capstan speed control. These caps were far too large for the board, and to fit the caps in between the speed control PC board and a board above it, the speed control board was bent with the caps squished between the boards.
-other sundry wires were spliced mid-air, with copious amounts of electrical tape used for the splice.
--other wires were cut, and left dangling.

That unit is an unprofessionally chopped and bastardized unit that most techs would not touch with a ten foot pole and for good reason. I would advise one of two things but before I offer my advice, I would like to mention that I am taking for granted that since you gave the deck to a technician to service that you are not qualified to service said deck by yourself. No offense intended but I do believe that this is a fairly safe assumption on my part. If I am incorrect, please forgive me. That said, the two things I would advise would be to A: Shell out the dough [most likely not worth it] to have the unit restored to original, then properly modified or B: Consider it a pretty doorstop for parts or something else to add to the list of things you are selling. I can only hope that you purchased said deck for a song and that it already has not cost you an arm and a leg.

As I mentioned before, this is just some friendly advice and I hope for the best outcome no matter what you decide.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
His tech already gave him some great advice: Buy another deck that hasn't been hacked and keep the butchered unit for spare parts (the ones that haven't been mangled yet).

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Well, I invite you to go right on ahead and refer to that thread I speak of! You can read the whole thing if you like!
I'm not engaging in any of this nonsense Mr. Palme. It's not my style. Thank you though for clearly stating that you do not work on modded machines, after the fact You must admit, if you had read the thread PRIOR to offering your services ON the thread I refer to, you would have CLEARLY seen that the Revox was MODDED. (Quality and execution of mods notwithstanding) and in that case you wouldn't have wasted my time by offering to fix the machine, no?
Am I wrong here? Out of line?
Trying to start trouble?
Go ahead, read the thread?
Anyways, this whole thing is off topic, it's water under the bridge, I'd like to keep it that way.
I've passed your card on to a couple of friends already, and have nothing 'bad' to say about your work. Stop being so paranoid! If I wanted to trash your reputation, I wouldn't be emailing you and asking you of you work on Studers, now that I have one. Thanks for telling me that upfront btw. You have my email, so please, of you'd like to continue this, let's keep it off the forum.
Yes, I'm disappointed with the way the Revox work was handled. If I'm out of line, or wrong to feel so, sue me.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
As far as the Studer goes (and all r to r's for that matter) no, I won't be performing any 'mods' myself! I'll find a competent tech first, I'm not even going to tap the heads myself on that machine!
Cleaning and lubricating (where safe) is as far as it goes.
I think the Arian Mods for the PR99 are pretty straightforward, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to repopulate those boards. As far as mounting RCA jacks, yes, they were mounted properly, I do own a set of step drills, and one of my skills is cosmetic restoration. Metal, wood, plastic. It's part and parcel with my former job in the film industry (creating Props.. On set)
That machine had been crammed into the road case by the 'tech' I took it to prior to Curt, and the RCA's were skewed.
I'm simply stating that anyone, anyone in the world can read my thread, and plainly see that I had already attempted mods on the deck prior to the '99 problems' I was having. For someone to offer their services on the same thread, then state that they don't work on modded machines, does it make sense to you? Wouldn't you READ the thread first to get up to speed? No, you wouldn't ?
I guess I just took that for granted!
Oops, my bad!
Also, I realize this site is populated by techs, writers, and commercial businessmen. I'm none of the above. I'm a person who enjoys music, and playing with audio gear. The only way for me to get access to 'What's Best' is : scour garage sales, Craigslist etc, and : Do it Myself!
My apologies to everyone offended by my complaint, but I don't like having my time wasted.
As far as the rest, I never claimed to be a tech, more like a horse trader/ tinkerer.
Good day.
If we can get back on topic that would be fantastic btw.
Thanks.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is my take on this. You might have told the guy your deck was 'modded,' but I bet you didn't tell him it was hacked by Tommy 10 thumbs and his roll of plumber's solder. One look inside of that mess would be all any good tech would need to see before they buttoned it up and washed their hands of it. No one would want their work to be associated with that mess. You have to protect your reputation. The problem I see here is that someone completely unqualified/untrained/zero knowledge of electronics or even how to drill a hole was allowed to hack up your deck. Bottom line is don't do that again. Don't think you can do things that you have never been trained to do. It's much cheaper to pay a pro to do a job right the first time then to hack up a perfectly good deck and then take it to a tech so he can try and fix all of your mistakes. And in this case what you found out was that the hack job was so incredibly bad the tech doesn't even want to touch the mess.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As far as the Studer goes (and all r to r's for that matter) no, I won't be performing any 'mods' myself! I'll find a competent tech first, I'm not even going to tap the heads myself on that machine!
Cleaning and lubricating (where safe) is as far as it goes.
I think the Arian Mods for the PR99 are pretty straightforward, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to repopulate those boards. As far as mounting RCA jacks, yes, they were mounted properly, I do own a set of step drills, and one of my skills is cosmetic restoration. Metal, wood, plastic. It's part and parcel with my former job in the film industry (creating Props.. On set)
That machine had been crammed into the road case by the 'tech' I took it to prior to Curt, and the RCA's were skewed.
I'm simply stating that anyone, anyone in the world can read my thread, and plainly see that I had already attempted mods on the deck prior to the '99 problems' I was having. For someone to offer their services on the same thread, then state that they don't work on modded machines, does it make sense to you? Wouldn't you READ the thread first to get up to speed? No, you wouldn't ?
I guess I just took that for granted!
Oops, my bad!
Also, I realize this site is populated by techs, writers, and commercial businessmen. I'm none of the above. I'm a person who enjoys music, and playing with audio gear. The only way for me to get access to 'What's Best' is : scour garage sales, Craigslist etc, and : Do it Myself!
My apologies to everyone offended by my complaint, but I don't like having my time wasted.
As far as the rest, I never claimed to be a tech, more like a horse trader/ tinkerer.
Good day.
If we can get back on topic that would be fantastic btw.
Thanks.

Get another PR99 (there's a lot around) and send it to Arian and let him convert it into his ATR-10. It's a very nice machine.

http://sonorusaudio.com/ATR10_FIF7.html

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Anyways guys, I was griping about a bad EXPERIENCE, not a bad tech!!! As far as I'm concerned Curt is a Wizard!! He managed to bring a beat up Sony 766-2 to life after I COMPLETELY destroyed it!!!
Please don't take things so personally! My work on the revox was far from done, I'm not a tech, I like to cobble things together first, test them, THEN finalize the work, as I inevitably have to go back and forth a good dozen times if I don't have ( literally) paint by numbers instructions,
Please don't take it personally guys, we're not all professional solder slingers here.. Not trying to besmirch anyone's rep.
I keep that stuff offline!
;-)
Harv 'the hack'
Good labour day, all!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Ok, guys: for the record;
The PR99 is ancient history. I now own a studer a807. It's great! I am going to install RCA outs in place of the XLR's. Because I don't like using adapters. The 12 decks I own we're all purchased for less that $100. The studer and Nagra being exceptions. They were $200 and $250. I have no qualms about fiddling with those cheap consumer machines, my mistake was asking a tech to fix mistakes that I made, and mistakes that unqualified techs made.
My gripe is pretty simple and I'm not going over it again. I have no quarrel of complaints about Curts work or competence as a tech, make that clear please.
I'm never going to spend $10? on a deck, as I'm saving up for an early model 911(!!!)
I work on my ford pickup, the BmW goes to a qualified mechanic with the tools and know how to service it.
I tear apart my akais, sony decks, etc. the Studer, Nagra etc go to techs! Now that I have a Studer, I've no use for the PR99, Sony, Crown, or Ampex. If anyone wants the PR99 it's yours for the cost of shipping. It has a snazzy road case and the Revox onboard rack mountable monitor. I know that Curt doesn't want it, but I'd anyone wants it for parts, you're welcome to it.
I will never, ever say anything that could possibly Be construed as negative towards a tech or businessman on this forum again, I promise!
But yes, I probably will keep on tinkering away, I'll keep it to myself from now on though!!
I'm hoping to make a trip to Seattle in October, and I will be bringing the Studer an a bunch of tapes with me, I'm hoping to leave it with a good tech down there, if anyone can point me in the right direction! I've only cleaned the green gunk (that I could reach) out of it for now, but I'd like to have it gone over an calibrated properly etc before I start running expensive tapes through it!
I'm learning a lot and having fun on this forum, although I sometime feel I don't quite 'fit in'
I'm new to reel tape , old to building my own speakers turntables etc, bringing that esthetic into tape with me.
As far as the legality of maste tapes. I see some on sale on eBay right now, so I'm guessing it's a moot point!
Cheers,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing