300,000 LP collection for sale - $500,000 price drop

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
But nobody seems to have the money, the place to put them, or knows what in the hell to do with over a quarter million records.
Hello, puroagave. You think the above quote might have something to do with it? I would imagine that it would take 3 18 wheelers just to haul off the collection.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Question is.... how many of the records are even worth it ? Yeah, there might be some great records as far as the music is concerned, but from a business standpoint, that's not gonna make it worthwhile for another record dealer/person to buy this collection. Seems that there are too many conditions at this point in time. I think the guy should just come to terms if he is ready to move on. Perhaps sell the ones that are of monetary value, and then donate the rest to a university/etc. of his choice. Maybe even consider donating them all or sell them all in one shot to the highest bidder/offer.

I collect records (& SACD's, CD's) for enjoyment mainly. I enjoy the history, the hunt & excitement that comes with digging through old buildings, collections, or what have you. Good times !!! Even though vinyl has made a small comeback, I feel it's a temporary comeback. Once the charm wears off, then what ??? The number of records out there that are of any real value in terms of $$$ is not that great. I understand the value (not monetary) in what is sitting on his shelves. Reality is, not many people do see it the same way. Just like the sports card/comic book game, this could be a lesson to those who collect records/media. Enjoy the music and value it for just that, times change and what we consider valuable may not be valuable in a few years.

Interesting story none the less...

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the NPR profile tells a poignant story about Murray. I dont know why Ive never been to his place, now I want to see it before he passes or the collection is broken up. Sandy Chase of The Record Collector nearby was/is another L.A. area mecca for collectors, especially TAS superdiscs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing