Burmester 911 mk3

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco,

I have never had the opportunity to hear Burmester, and noticed you appear to have an all-Burmester system. Could you comment on their speakers? Have you compared them with others? Which ones are you using at the moment? Any particular reason that you are all-Burmester? Thanks for any advice...interested to read until i can hear for myself at some point.

Hi Lloyd,

I carefully listened many loudspeakers (Avalon, Wilson, Dynaudio, Acapella, Avantgarde, MBL, Klipsch, B&W, Proac, Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Faber, Magico M5, JBL, Focal, Focus Audio, Triangle, Jamo, etc.) with Burmester gears and I always heard nice sound results, each one with particular characteristics. In my opinion and at my ears the Burmester speakers are the perfect match in sound with their components. A Burmester system is neutral, uncolored, highly revealing and excelles in musicality. Truly pure music. This is my searched goal from the beginning and with Burmester I think to reached it. Besides, I'm very curious to listen with Burmester gears the following awesome loudspeakers Raidho C 4.0, Peak Consult Dragon, Wilson Alexandria X2 or XLF and Rockport Arrakis II.

Last edited:

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
The difference of 911 mk3 monos Vs DMA 360 is that sonically both of them sound much alike. The German amps have better harmonic richness and detail, neutrality, heightened resolution, silence, transparency, timbral truth and dynamic agility. The Vitus is also a very good amp but at my ears It has not the overall sound quality of Spectral 360 and Burmester 911 Mk3.

This insight is very helpful and enlightening to me. Many thanks Rocco!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

I carefully listened many loudspeakers (Avalon, Wilson, Dynaudio, Acapella, Avantgarde, MBL, Klipsch, B&W, Proac, Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Faber, Magico M5, JBL, Focal, Focus Audio, Triangle, Jamo, etc.) with Burmester gears and I always heard nice sound results, each one with particular characteristics. In my opinion and at my ears the Burmester speakers are the perfect match in sound with their components. A Burmester system is neutral, uncolored, highly revealing and excelles in musicality. Truly pure music. This is my searched goal from the beginning and with Burmester I think to reached it. Besides, I'm very curious to listen with Burmester gears the following awesome loudspeakers Raidho C 4.0, Peak Consult Dragon, Wilson Alexandria X2 or XLF and Rockport Arrakis II.

That is very interesting...by contrast, i have not even listened to an all Krell, Gryphon, Tidal, McIntosh, Burmester or all anything from one manufacturer who designs the entire sound system (except probably Bang and Olufsen). The closest i came was all Tidal except it was with the Stahl-Tek digital front-end...everything else was Tidal thru to the Tidal Sunrays with the ref tower subs.

And in my own system...every single component is a mix. Transport - DAC - Pre - Amp - Speakers. PCs are mainly one brand but not entirely and IC/SCs are mainly one brand but also with one exception (between pre and power). Partly, i have found the mix i like, but also it is a matter of looking thru [pretty much exclusively] demo and second-hand units carefully over the years.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Lloyd,

Thanks. I can't wait to get them. I'll keep you updated. I know Jeff from Tonepub has great taste and reading his early reviews of the Burmester gear got me hooked.

Xsquezz me, who got you hooked on the 911 MK3? :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Although a fan of Burmester, I have never heard their top of the line speakers ... But the electronics, the whole line of electronics by the way is superlative...

This thread is about the 911 so I will not stay too much on the subject but I don't think there is a more flexible Preamplifier than the 808 ( Not to say better sounding) ... You can plug whatever module you can dream in it of course phono stages, even Tape Heads module with any kind of EQ you wish or even as I have seen in one case active crossover .. Wonder if they haven't designed a DAC for it,
Channels on the modules are independently adjusted the pots are precision trimmed and there is even a digital voltmeter on the thing .. At least with my friend's 808...

Rocco you have my dream preamp

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Although a fan of Burmester, I have never heard their top of the line speakers ... But the electronics, the whole line of electronics by the way is superlative...

This thread is about the 911 so I will not stay too much on the subject but I don't think there is a more flexible Preamplifier than the 808 ( Not to say better sounding) ... You can plug whatever module you can dream in it of course phono stages, even Tape Heads module with any kind of EQ you wish or even as I have seen in one case active crossover .. Wonder if they haven't designed a DAC for it,
Channels on the modules are independently adjusted the pots are precision trimmed and there is even a digital voltmeter on the thing .. At least with my friend's 808...

Rocco you have my dream preamp

I wonder how the 808 compares to the 077 sonically? Which is the more Reference Reference preamp? Hmmmmmm.

Joe

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate your kind words. You have a great forum and I am happy and honored to be here. Thanks.

Also sorry to hear about your father Joe. Mine is going strong at 93! He retired 3 years ago. You will find this forum is not controlled so tightly, and is not a market tool to sell products like the "other" forum you frequent. :)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Frantz,

I confirm that the 808's is superlative either in sound and as object, an absolut design classic and a real audiophile sculpture. The music expression way of 808 MK5 is unique beacuse allows to enjoy the purest of musical sounds.

Dear Franz I really wish you to realize soon the Burmester 808 Mk5.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Also sorry to hear about your father Joe. Mine is going strong at 93! He retired 3 years ago. :)

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the kind words. Wow! Congrats on your Dad. God Bless him. I don't see myself living that long. I just hope it's quick ;) Ha!

WBF is very nice!

Joe

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
I wonder how the 808 compares to the 077 sonically? Which is the more Reference Reference preamp? Hmmmmmm.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I compared both preamps side by side before the final decision to buy the 808's. Both are great preamps, but i preferred the 808's because more neutral and magic in sound.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

I compared both preamps side by side before the final decision to buy the 808's. Both are great preamps, but i preferred the 808's because more neutral and magic in sound.

Thanks Rocco!

You have excellent taste my friend. I am very happy with my 077 and ext. ps.. I can't wait for field reports of the 111 Music Server to start coming in. It should be quite nice.

Joe

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Thanks Rocco!

You have excellent taste my friend. I am very happy with my 077 and ext. ps.. I can't wait for field reports of the 111 Music Server to start coming in. It should be quite nice.

Joe

Joe, once hooked up the monos 911's I think you'll enjoy a lot. ;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have extensive listening sessions that have exceeded over 1 year and over approximately 100 hours on the Burmester 911 MK3, 069 with ps and 808 MK5 with ps. Rich, creamy, detailed and dynamic is the Burmester house sound. As much as I love the 808 MK5, to my ears I prefer the Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX. It has a little less "thickness" in the midrange, and more transparent (all subjective of course). All the listening sessions were with the Wilson Benesch Chimira/Torus sub and all Odin cables. The Burmester 911 MK3 is the finest amp I have ever heard in my life. I now run my Burmester 911 MK3 with Venture speakers, GNSC adia S7i Statement, Concert Fidelity pre and custom cables by Patrick Cullen. I also have a Runco 50" plasma between and behind my speakers.

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Jim, I hope that after 1 year with the Burmester gear, you meant 1000 hours ;)

As a 911 owner I love how this thread has turned into an absolute 911 love-fest!

IMO, and I might stand alone on this point as I often seem to do, the best preamp = no preamp. Applicable only of course if you run a single source.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

As a 911 owner I love how this thread has turned into an absolute 911 love-fest!

IMO, and I might stand alone on this point as I often seem to do, the best preamp = no preamp. Applicable only of course if you run a single source.

I am of the active preamp camp, have been, will always be. I had a Burmester 089 for 1 year with a Hegel H10, and then Burmester 911 MK3. I upgraded my 089 (subjective) to a Great Northern Sound Company Wadia S7i Statement with the Concert Fidelity CF 080. No contest from my point of view. I prefer the hybrid tube preamp at all times.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

For a long time I thought I was the only Burmester fan-boi here :) ... Little did I know....

There is another thing that I find extremely remarkable with the 911 ..Despite its relatively modest power output 180 w/ch at 8 ohm s and 300 at 4... it seems to never run out of power regardless of the speaker it is confronted with. From the inefficient Magnepan 20.1 to the even more inefficient MBL 101... If they can clip I have never heard it... And they are reliable .. The protection circuit is serious .. I have short-circuited the speaker terminals more than once the protection circuit kicked-in fast turn off the amp and resume operation ... A friend of mine had had his for close to 19 years !1 Still going on strong( On genesis V) ... and was upgraded to Mk III recently I believe ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I just wanna say this:

This is a very nice thread with top notch members.
I don't post but I read it all. And I truly enjoy everything I'm reading from everyone. :b

THX
Bob

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think the title of this thread should be renamed the Burmester Love Fest. And I too would love to hear some Burmester gear to see if I share the love. This gear is outside of my price range though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing