The Golden Age of audio gear

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On another thread, we discussed the Golden Age of records....which many of us believe ended in 1965.
Many of us own gear from the past, some of it from the distant past as in the early to late 50's. Many of us still like and own gear from the 70's and 80's.

It would appear that most of the TT's from today surpass the TT's from the past ( although many do not agree with this:confused:), BUT is this true of amps and preamps and of speakers?

Is there a Golden Age of gear from the past...or is today's gear perhaps the Golden Age. :confused:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I would disagree. I think the gear today is far better than ever before.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today's technology is simply way more advanced, and the sound quality benefits from it. :b
... And on everything (sources, preamps, amps, loudspeakers, and wires)!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The production and manufacturing (and all things in between) of records have taken a step backwards through the decades, which is why there is an actual GA of Records. I don't think the same is true for gear, which has seen huge strides up in quality. That's not to say there isn't any decades old gear worthy of the GA status, but those pieces are far and few.

I will say (IMO) that mass-market gear, which encompasses a lot of new AVR's, doesn't stand up to yesteryear gear from the late 70's and early 80's for sound quality. Sure they have many more bells and whistles, but it's been at the expense of quality.

As far as liking and owning gear from the 70's/80's, I see it as no different then the guy driving a 65 Chevy. It may not be nearly as good as a new car, but nostalgia is a huge attraction as we age, and I think there is a wonderful comfort that goes along with that.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
My current, testbed, HT all-in-one system which many here are happy to rubbish, is a key example of how standards deteriorate very rapidly. When made in around 2000 it most certainly was mass-market, at a pretty low rung in the ladder; but when I visit an electrical store today the quality of the equivalent has plummeted: cheap, plastic junk seems an appropriate epitaph. In comparison, the Philips has the build quality of a NAD (which I have BTW, to compare).

Yet the price differential between what the current units sell for, versus what the Philips did, would not be that great ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would disagree. I think the gear today is far better than ever before.

+1

With the proviso that much of what is used today eg. say tube circuitry, is a refinement of circuits developed fifty or more years ago :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
In my opinion, the Golden Age of hi fidelity gear is just now beginning. It's sad when we are headed rather quickly into what I think is the absolute worst ages of recording. Other than that, John pretty much summed up all of my other thoughts. From all of the AVR's I have heard, I would tend to think their golden age was back in the late 70's, early 80's as well. I don't believe the masses will ever hear that kind of quality again, unfortunately.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
I'm a huge believer in new technology.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the vintage thing is driven by nostalgia. When one says "Golden Age" it implies that everything was good. What we actually have are a handful of classics that were great then and are still very good by the standards of today, survivors of natural selection. The rest have been recycled or are in landfills with the rest of the dreck of succeeding decades.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have a mixed feelings on the subject. Not to pick on you, John, but I'll use your excellent summary as a sounding board if you don't mind....

The production and manufacturing (and all things in between) of records have taken a step backwards through the decades, which is why there is an actual GA of Records.

Yes, but multi-track studio recordings, which I think are an art form of their own, have the potential to be better than they have ever been, and by a good margin. They live up to that potential pretty often, in spite of the volume wars, but rarely in mainstream music categories.

I don't think the same is true for gear, which has seen huge strides up in quality. That's not to say there isn't any decades old gear worthy of the GA status, but those pieces are far and few.

Absolutely. But while both recording and playback gear has taken some huge steps forward, we've had a couple of decades of an anti-science culture in the audiophile community that has left too much of the high end treading water, or worse. Thankfully the best have ignored this trend and continued to innovate and refine.

I will say (IMO) that mass-market gear, which encompasses a lot of new AVR's, doesn't stand up to yesteryear gear from the late 70's and early 80's for sound quality. Sure they have many more bells and whistles, but it's been at the expense of quality.

I don't have mixed feelings about this; sure, if you'e talking about "100 watt per channel" surround sound receivers at three, four hundred bucks, they will only meet specs with the easiest of loads (if that) and the build quality is not at all robust. But by the time you get to even $700 or so, in the better brands -- Yamaha, Dennon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Marantz... -- you can easily find very well-built units that will deliver very respectable 7.1, even with fairly difficult speakers, then switch to a two-channel mode that doubles the power to the L/R fronts, by-passes all the processors, and delivers loads of fast, clean power to your music experience. Got $1500 to $2000? You can get seriously competitive with just about anything out there. And, nevermind the HT function for a minute, a couple of grand or less for 300 watts per channel stereo, pre amp, tuner and headphone amp? It shouldn't even get in the ballpark. But it does.

The classic receivers from the 70s? They look great and warm the heart, but they won't sound as good.

MHO. YMMV.

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I feel obligated to respond :)... My thread about the Japanese gear of the 70's in 80's was tome in response to a tendency to equate these components with all that was bad in Audio. It wasn't the case and there are solid profs against such view. I never said that these TTs were consistently superior to all the TTs made today, it remains that some of these TTs would hold their own against several today’s TTs of the highest caliber made today e.g the Technics SP-10 MK II.

Now concerning the electronics, I am not entirely sure. It is almost a reflex to anoint today's gear as "superior". At the same time there is a rise in the notion of preferences. if there is only preference and no objective standards how can something be "superior"? The notion of an objective standard/baseline is routinely rejected in the high Audio Scene,yet , some gears are deemed "superior" to what then? to previous preferences? Do you fail to see the contradiction there? In order to establish precedence there has to be an order, a reference. An objective basis somewhere…
I tend to see the mid 90's as an interesting time, lot activity new gears,new topology a maturing of the sound as well as the specs of SS , a time when tubes became less euphonics and particularly better speakers and much, much better sources, be they digital or analog due IME due to more computational power allowing better and cheaper simulation.
My personal view on the subject is that there have been few progress in circuits designs. Components however have gotten better due, again, to the advance in computing which allowed better manufacturing, tools and tolerances. This did affect to some degree the designs resulting in modest progress in final results be it subjective or objective.
The largest advances are in speakers. They are miles ahead of speakers of yesterday, save for a few examples (The Quad ESl63 being one of these) , speakers today are superior and again this is due to advance in computing power. ANY laptop becomes a powerful tool with the proper software some of them free. Digital is progressing by bounds and leaps… There is a plethora of very good sounding DAC out there some of them modestly priced and some downright cheap (HRT Streamer) … I have found myself owning 3 DACs (M2Tech Young, Benchmark HDR, HRT Streamer) the way I find myself vacillating, I might just get a Korg or Mytek for DSD… TTs are much better because we know better, we can compute better, simulate better and measure better,no doubt, Cartridges are getting better too. Electronics not much IMO. I could live very happily with many of these “old” components but please give me the modern speakers and sources…
So as Jack so wisely say to talk about a “golden Age” is to be nostalgic about a period that never existed… Things have never been as good as today. I will venture something that some would call heretic. Today’s BEST recordings surpass the old. I would frankly say that what 2L, RR, FIM and many others surpass the old. They stand on the shoulder of giants, learned from them and are using much better equipment, technique and control. The results are to me superior. Granted the performance may not be.

Golden Age of Audio? In front of us not behind

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I agree with the rest of your post, Frantz and really hope this part is true....

I think we need a revival of interest in audio to get there, though, and that interest is, sadly, discouraged by the myths and predjudices that are common in high end.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Frantz,
I will pick your very good text, to point a few aspects where we have different opinions. I know it is the lazy option, but it is much faster for me …

(…) Now concerning the electronics, I am not entirely sure. It is almost a reflex to anoint today's gear as "superior". At the same time there is a rise in the notion of preferences. if there is only preference and no objective standards how can something be "superior"? The notion of an objective standard/baseline is routinely rejected in the high Audio Scene,yet , some gears are deemed "superior" to what then? to previous preferences? Do you fail to see the contradiction there? In order to establish precedence there has to be an order, a reference. An objective basis somewhere…
We should say that what you call “preference” is only a preference because we do not know how to measure it in a standard and unique way. There is no contradiction – when designers and manufacturers will be able to provide us with measurements that truly correlate with sound quality, we can think about objectivity again.

I tend to see the mid 90's as an interesting time, lot activity new gears,new topology a maturing of the sound as well as the specs of SS , a time when tubes became less euphonics and particularly better speakers and much, much better sources, be they digital or analog due IME due to more computational power allowing better and cheaper simulation.
My personal view on the subject is that there have been few progress in circuits designs. Components however have gotten better due, again, to the advance in computing which allowed better manufacturing, tools and tolerances. This did affect to some degree the designs resulting in modest progress in final results be it subjective or objective.
Contrary to what your feelings, I think electronics developed a lot in the last few years – designers could conciliate many aspects that usually it was not possible to have together – detailed without being too analytical, great bass with clear medium frequencies, spacious without being bigger than life.

The largest advances are in speakers. They are miles ahead of speakers of yesterday, save for a few examples (The Quad ESl63 being one of these) , speakers today are superior and again this is due to advance in computing power. ANY laptop becomes a powerful tool with the proper software some of them free.
Although this is true, the main reason for the great advance in speakers was that designers have a better knowledge of psychoacoustics, mechanical engineering, new materials and the science of loudspeaker measurement developed a lot during the last years. More powerful, more consistent and cheaper magnets had a serious part in these developments. And serious designers do not use laptops with sound cards and free software – these amateur tools are not compatible with professional requirements of speaker development.

Digital is progressing by bounds and leaps… There is a plethora of very good sounding DAC out there some of them modestly priced and some downright cheap (HRT Streamer) … I have found myself owning 3 DACs (M2Tech Young, Benchmark HDR, HRT Streamer) the way I find myself vacillating, I might just get a Korg or Mytek for DSD… TTs are much better because we know better, we can compute better, simulate better and measure better,no doubt, Cartridges are getting better too. Electronics not much IMO. I could live very happily with many of these “old” components but please give me the modern speakers and sources…
Yes, astonishing vinyl is sounding better than ever. But, as I said, IMHO, electronics also …

So as Jack so wisely say to talk about a “golden Age” is to be nostalgic about a period that never existed… Things have never been as good as today. I will venture something that some would call heretic. Today’s BEST recordings surpass the old. I would frankly say that what 2L, RR, FIM and many others surpass the old. They stand on the shoulder of giants, learned from them and are using much better equipment, technique and control. The results are to me superior. Granted the performance may not be.
Here we agree!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My idea of "Golden Age" is not what is best. It's sort of nostalgic. tweaky, euphonic, tubey... Where we have progressed is the elimination of distortions and our view of stereo reproduction as a wholistic approach including room treatment.

There is not likely to another ARC, tas, Linn, Magnepan, CJ,etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
From the eyes of the beholder, or the ears of yesterday's years from emotionally romantic nostalgia ...

Golden Age? It's right now, as it was yesterday, and as it will be tomorrow. :b

And the audio gear that we're using now, is a direct reflection of the state of our soul.
And largely influenced by our emotional and financial situation, now.
And more often than not we get attached to our 'things' from the past.
Tough to get detached from them.
And tough too to embrace the new; and for many few.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
After the year 2000 if there was any hope of any golden era it's gone. The golden era started with western electric,bell labs,and Ampex. After that this continued to progress till the 1980's and 1990's. Now everybody builds to a price and specific market. Any real value is imaginary.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I feel obligated to respond :)... My thread about the Japanese gear of the 70's in 80's was tome in response to a tendency to equate these components with all that was bad in Audio. It wasn't the case and there are solid profs against such view. I never said that these TTs were consistently superior to all the TTs made today, it remains that some of these TTs would hold their own against several today’s TTs of the highest caliber made today e.g the Technics SP-10 MK II.

Garrard (301 and 501) and Technics SP10. While I think the older arms and cartridges set the tenor for today's products, I don't think can begin to touch the latest transducers and arms. For one, resonances are much better controlled in both.

Now concerning the electronics, I am not entirely sure. It is almost a reflex to anoint today's gear as "superior". At the same time there is a rise in the notion of preferences. if there is only preference and no objective standards how can something be "superior"? The notion of an objective standard/baseline is routinely rejected in the high Audio Scene,yet , some gears are deemed "superior" to what then? to previous preferences? Do you fail to see the contradiction there? In order to establish precedence there has to be an order, a reference. An objective basis somewhere…
The largest advances are in speakers. They are miles ahead of speakers of yesterday, save for a few examples (The Quad ESl63 being one of these) , speakers today are superior and again this is due to advance in computing power. ANY laptop becomes a powerful tool with the proper software some of them free. Digital is progressing by bounds and leaps… There is a plethora of very good sounding DAC out there some of them modestly priced and some downright cheap (HRT Streamer) … I have found myself owning 3 DACs (M2Tech Young, Benchmark HDR, HRT Streamer) the way I find myself vacillating, I might just get a Korg or Mytek for DSD… TTs are much better because we know better, we can compute better, simulate better and measure better,no doubt, Cartridges are getting better too. Electronics not much IMO. I could live very happily with many of these “old” components but please give me the modern speakers and sources…

Since I'm a front-end type person, I'd say the biggest advance has been in digital playback. It has certainly gone from the early gens of unlistenable playes to relatively listenable products such as PD, Stahl-Tek, Neodio, Audio Note, etc. ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is an interesting paradox for those who have objectivist roots. If electronics from the 1970s and 1980s measured as well as electronics from 2012 (and I’m talking preamps and power amps here), how can you reconcile your objectivist mindset and say that 2012 gear could possibly sound better even if it really does?

Moving on…I do think that there are more than a few turntable gems from the 1980s that would hold their own against many new tables. No one who loves belt drive tables even mentioned Micro Seiki turntables in Frantz’s other thread by the way. Just because something is new doesn’t automatically mean it is better than what it replaced unless we are talking about computers and digital audio.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here is an interesting paradox for those who have objectivist roots. If electronics from the 1970s and 1980s measured as well as electronics from 2012 (and I’m talking preamps and power amps here), how can you reconcile your objectivist mindset and say that 2012 gear could possibly sound better even if it really does?

Moving on…I do think that there are more than a few turntable gems from the 1980s that would hold their own against many new tables. No one who loves belt drive tables even mentioned Micro Seiki turntables in Frantz’s other thread by the way. Just because something is new doesn’t automatically mean it is better than what it replaced unless we are talking about computers and digital audio.

Windows Vista wasn't necessarily a step forward :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Windows Vista wasn't necessarily a step forward :)

Yeah, but that's software and not hardware. We can throw Windows ME in that pile too. I think when you mentioned the Garrard 501 above you meant to say the 401.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing