Korg AudioGate SRC

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
AudioGate is a software sample rate converter as well as player. Normally shipped with the Korg MR-1/2, 1000 and 2000 hardware recorders. Twitter account holders can also use this software as well. Conversions can be made from DSD64fs and DSD128fs files as well as PCM files all the way up to 24/192kHz. The cool thing is the multitude of user options with multiple filter shapes, dither, noise shaping and audio formats. Here is the main user interface.

Attachments

• AudoGate..jpg
    AudoGate..jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,703

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
To add files, click the "Add" button and a browser window pops up so you can choose the files that need to be played/converted.
Here I have added 2 DSD files. Sonoma makes non-interleaved (dual mono) files for stereo. You will need to highlight both files and choose "Channel Link"

To check that the file was linked, highlight the file, "right click" and choose "File Info".

Attachments

• AudioGate 2..jpg
    AudioGate 2..jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2,503
  • Info..jpg
    Info..jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,379
Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Now if you want to do a sample rate conversion, click "Export" in which a menu box will appear from which you can choose a few options.

1. Source = All Songs or Selected Songs

2. Destination = Where do you want the converted tracks to go?

3. File Format = What is the Format you want the converted files to be in? Choices are .wav, bwf, aiff, diff, dsf, wsd, mp3, wma, wma Professional, wma Lossless and FLAC

4. File Type = What type of file do you want? Stereo interleaved (stereo track in 1 file), Mono/Dual Mono (non-interleaved), MR Project (I'll get into this later)

5. Sample Rate = Self Explanitory

6. Bit Depth = Ditto

7. Option = I'll get into this later as well

Attachments

• AudioGate 3..jpg
    AudioGate 3..jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,522
Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here I have made my Export selections.

1. .wav file
2. interleaved file
3. 176.4kHz
4. 24-bit
5. Now when going from DSD->PCM, you have several other "Options", such as, how steep do you want your filter. Filter options are "None", Sharp Roll-off (-3dB @ 42kHz), Soft Roll-off (-3dB @ 50kHz). Most of the time I either use "None" or "Soft".
6. Do you want to "Normalize" your files. I never do.
7. Dither options are "None", "TPDF" and "Korg Aqua". When going from DSD->PCM, I don't use Dither. When working strictly in the PCM domain, I do.

Attachments

• AudioGate 4..jpg
    AudioGate 4..jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 2,645
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Bruce,

I know the question I'm about to ask might smack of newbie-ness but what exactly is "fs". I keep on thinking frames per second but for the life of me I can't decipher what it is in an audio context. I hope you can indulge me with this clarification. It's a spec I am wholly unfamiliar with.

TIA

Jack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bruce,
Do you know of any place where we can download some good quality DSD sample files to evaluate conversions?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I was going to suggest 2L, but it seems they pulled all their DSD/DXD files. As suggested, Blue Coast has some excellent DSD files.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Will this software run on a PC and if so, where do you download it?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
fs = sampling frequency

Thanks for this Bruce, something I need to get and play with! I am hoping to have time to rip some CDs and would like to convert to FLAC just for grins...

Oops, just noticed you need a twitter account (which I do not have) and it sends auto-tweets as you use it (which I do not want). Have to think a little more... Does Audacity rip to FLAC?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oops, just noticed you need a twitter account (which I do not have) and it sends auto-tweets as you use it (which I do not want). Have to think a little more... Does Audacity rip to FLAC?
Just create a dummy twitter account just for this. It only takes a couple of minutes. You don't need a personal one.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Bruce and Don! Follow up for Bruce, why 64?

Now I wonder why it's fs and not sf. Oh well!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Questions On Converting DSD files (from SACDs) into PCM with Korg Audiogate

I luv my Bryston BDP-1 Media Player, using an Apple iPad3 with MPad software. This setup plays pretty much all computer audio files EXCEPT DSD.

I have played with Korg Audiogate and its real easy to use, but has some filter settings that I haven't tried or really understand. I downloaded a few DSD files from BlueCoastRecords.com and it was easy to use Korg Audiogate to convert to PCM.

I note at HDTracks that it seems that they some albums there that are likely converted from SACD, and seems they are usually converted to 88-24. How am I to hopefully quickly and easily determine whether to convert the Sony PS3 derived DSD file, via Korg Audiogate, to 192-24, 176-24, 96-24 or 88-24?

Bruce, you mentioned that:

"Now when going from DSD->PCM, you have several other "Options", such as, how steep do you want your filter. Filter options are "None", Sharp Roll-off (-3dB @ 42kHz), Soft Roll-off (-3dB @ 50kHz). Most of the time I either use "None" or "Soft"."

Can you educate me on the effect of using "None" vs using the "Soft" setting in my setup (Theta CB3 HD,
Theta Generation VIIII Series 3 DAC, pair of Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks, three Theta Enterprise monoblocks).

I appreciate you have stated not to add any dither, use the "None" settings, when going from DSD to PCM.

Thanks.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing