Why do people care about gear measurements when most rooms suck?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not Bruce, but yes, they are getting their monitor mix in one ear and leaving the other free to hear their own instrument.

Tim

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
...and the musicians around them, for timing and intonation. I always found it a bit strange and prefer the recording engineers do their job and I do mine (which could actually be as player or recorder, depending) without the players needing to hear the mix.

They are also used when playing with a click track or recording with a pre-recorded event, such as might be used to play along with a band's recording (think of a progressive rock song with orchestra parts added) or movie soundtrack.

Aside: Sony some years ago in an article about their in-ear monitors (relatively new then) said using just one actually increased hearing damage. This was in rock'ish bands, not the orchestra, I should note. The problem was, with the sound so loud in the uncovered ear, the in-ear volume was raised to compensate, leading to worse damage than if two in-ears or none were used.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
It makes sense that the phones are only being used for a click track, anything else would be pointless as far as I can see. An interesting discussion on such at http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...3482-100-single-ear-headphones-orchestra.html.

With regard to the mics, I would be fascinated to compare the final mix with the raw stereo pickup from just the two mics on either side of the conductor, I wonder how many might prefer the latter ...

Frank

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, what is with the one ear headphones? Are they hearing the mixed version only in that ear?

Also the same principle when singers stick one finger in their ear so they can hear themselves better through bone conduction.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the explanation guys. Not being a musician or a recording engineer, I can't imagine that being a comfortable way to do things :). Then again when I am shooting with my long telephoto, I often keep both eyes open with one looking through the viewfinder, and the other seeing what else is happening outside of my narrow field of view. It is very weird at first, with one eye looking through the porthole and the other from behind the camera and wide view. But the brain amazingly adjusts and gives a reasonable view. I suspect the same is true here.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Amir,
sounds like you would make a fine Apache helicopter pilot, well at least with the eyes - you just need to practice now running around (very fast no slacking bud!!!) while using the camera with both eyes as you mention :)
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing