Richardson Records, Annapolis Sounds Volumes 1 and 2

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I received a package today from Charles Richardson who is currently performing a restoration on my Ampex MR70 for me. Charlie sent me his latest recordings....Annapolis Sounds Vol. one and two.

These recordings have taken Charles 40 years to complete and some are 20 and 40 years old. These are remarkable recordings and are of the highest caliber. Charlie used his one of a kind Ampex MR70 to play the tapes to make the CD masters.

I am listening to the CDs now and there is a natural quality to this music that is truly remarkable. If you like all types of classical music, I can't recommend these CDs enough. Also if you wan't to hear the beautiful sound the MR70 Ampex is famous for these discs capture the essence of a nuvistor based electronics like no other.

http://richardsonrecords.com/Home_Page.html

I finished disc one of volume one. How good are these? I feel like throwing my reference recordings in the trash,no kidding.

Update:

I emailed Charles last night about the number of his recordings that are available and here is his response.

Hi Roger:

Thanks for your positive comments. If you think the CDs sound good, you should hear the original master tapes which are even better.

These recordings are the result of using first rate equipment, modifying a lot of it for better performance, restoring the 20 to 40 year old tapes with my new Rezerex tape restoration process, mastering the tapes on a vastly improved and modified MR-70, and taking pains to do things right. I have fairly good technical ears so I know when I have the results I want.

I will set aside for you copies of my other CD titles which are about 12 more. In about 2 weeks a New Edition of Eternal Father Volume II will be out, that has all of the techniques used in Annapolis Sounds. So it too will sound natural and lifelike with 11 more selections that have never been published before. I will add this to your CDs.

The tapes are now 35 years old and sound great because I have finally and properly fixed the tape deterioration problems that the recording industry has never been able to solve. The industry does not have a clue what I am doing because they have no chemical or scientific knowledge., For the most part other parties just ignore or wrongly find fault with the only verified scientific chemical lab solution done to date on these very difficult tape
chemical and mechanical problems. The big thick chemical lab reports contain everything on these tape topics down to the atomic level, but they are written in chemical jargon which cannot be readily converted into plain English.

You are one of the few who appreciates what I have done. I am grateful that you hear it and are willing to say something positive about the results
that have taken me 40 years of endless work to bring to fruition.

I will let you know when the new CD comes in. I plan to ship the CDs after it arrives.

Best,
Charlie Richardson

p.s. I recently asked Charlie about his all digital tracks on these CD's,what equipment did he use? A Nagra - D digital recorder.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing