Tape Woe's I Think

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Well this is the second time I can remember this happing to me, so it's time to find out why!!! Today I was making a recording on my Studer I had made one tape A and was happy with the results. I started on the B tape when I got finished I rewound it for playback to check the recording as I normally do, well it was during this playback I noticed the tape start to sound funny!!! Anyway after the first three songs the tape started sounding like my deck was slowing down and picking up speed (YIKES)!!! I just about went into a panic the first tape was fine this sounded like it was be drug through the heads fighting all the way!!! I check everything all looked and was working properly as far as I could tell. I put on another tape to be sure of what was going on and it sounded perfect!!! Hmm!!! Next I put the B tape on my Otari deck to be sure it wasn't the Studer, and sure enough the tape played like it was in slow motion. anyone else ever had this happen to them??? So what I am saying is it was the tape that was bad about half way through, I can't explain and don't what would cause this!!! Other than the tape formula itself any ideas???

Jay

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Jay,

On my A820 in the record mode only the deck would stop 3/4ths of the way through. The deck played all the way in playback but only in record did this happen and the take up reel chattered on start up.

Ki our resident Studer expert,pointed out that it had to be the tape it self (sticky tape). I cleaned all the guides and rollers with alcohol and no more problems.

My guess it's the tape and I would clean all the rollers and guides and see what happens. Like Ki told me,the transport tape system and logic is so precise even just a little tape path quirk can foul things up, and my problem came out of nowhere.

Any error codes?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Jay
Do you keep tape in tail end ? the advantage of this is make your tape loose (fast rewind first) before record or play back, it will has a better tape's constantly tension
tony ma

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Ki our resident Studer expert,pointed out that it had to be the tape it self (sticky tape). I cleaned all the guides and rollers with alcohol and no more problems.

My guess it's the tape and I would clean all the rollers and guides and see what happens. Like Ki told me,the transport tape system and logic is so precise even just a little tape path quirk can foul things up, and my problem came out of nowhere.

+1

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Jay ,
Clean your tape path with a Q tip clean all the rollers make sure there squeaky clean .Metal surfaces that contact the tape gum up , you can't see it but it's there.Clean your pinch roller also.
Like Roger said the problem came out of nowhere and effected tape speed .Good luck.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Hi Roger,
I cleaned everything before I started I also rechecked the tape path when the issue occured, I have no error codes either. Like I said I put another tape on and all was fine. I will be recording more this week so we shall see if the issue pops up again!!

Jay
Hi Jay,

On my A820 in the record mode only the deck would stop 3/4ths of the way through. The deck played all the way in playback but only in record did this happen and the take up reel chattered on start up.

Any error codes?

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Thanks Gary,
I will be sure to give a good going over this week.

Jay
Jay ,
Clean your tape path with a Q tip clean all the rollers make sure there squeaky clean .Metal surfaces that contact the tape gum up , you can't see it but it's there.Clean your pinch roller also.
Like Roger said the problem came out of nowhere and effected tape speed .Good luck.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Do people still bake tapes?

Ask Bruce :) Think he bakes the majority of the tape he gets in, obviously ampex's. Not all tapes need to be baked though. Just talked to Kevin Gray and the two new Audio Fidelity Grateful Dead lps were recorded on Scotch 250 (if memory serves me correctly) and didn't require baking. But think an oven is a mandatory part of most remastering studios, right Bruce :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tape dummy warning:

How do you bake a tape and what does it do? Dry it out?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been peeking in from time to time but as I've said, not having any techs around these parts just depresses me. What I do need is for you guys to clone Ki and send the clone over.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Steve :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The problem with old tapes is that the surface absorbs moisture while the glue dries out, causing separation of the oxide (particles that hold the magnetic flux that creates the sound) from the backing (the actual "tape" part). Baking dries out the materials and tends to "re-activate" the glue so everything stays together as it should. While this can and does happen with all tapes, IIRC you DO NOT want to bake very old (acetate) tapes as the material is fragile and may not survive. Those tapes we sent to a professional restoration service, who would sometimes run a controlled bake (special oven) and transfer. Acetate is clear, while the later materials are more opaque. Put a light behind the tape and it will shine through (mostly) if it's acetate and hardly at all if it's one of the newer poly-whatevers (I forget). Acetate gets very brittle and the oxide tends to flake off badly; my advice if you have one is to transfer it ASAP to a newer tape. Unless I am completely misremembering, which is possible...

I used to bake in an oven using letter racks to hold the reels and allow better air circulation. I preheated and put the rack in the upper third to reduce local hot spots from the heating elements, and usually took the extra step of placing a large cooking sheet on the bottom oven rack placed just over the heating coils to block direct heat radiation (sort of a heat shield). Usually 120 to 140 degF for 30 minutes to a couple of hours, depending upon how bad the tape was. Use metal reels or be darn sure the plastic won't warp, and make sure the tape is wound as perfectly as possible. If there are a lot of "ridges" or "ripples", rewind and wind back to get a flat surface on the side. The tape will tend to conform to the wind during baking so you do not want sections of tape sticking up and getting warped, plus you risk losing sound if the oxide flakes off. I opened the oven door and let the tapes cool gradually and completely before removal.

I am sure I made a lot of mistakes that others will correct, but that's my quick memory of the problem and baking process.

HTH - Don

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've been peeking in from time to time but as I've said, not having any techs around these parts just depresses me. What I do need is for you guys to clone Ki and send the clone over.

;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing