Can consumers do anything to end extreme volume compression of music?

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
Got a copy of Paul Simon's "So Beautiful or So What".

Good album.

Will never listen to it again.

Why? Extreme volume compression. So much so that it literally gives me a headache after about 2 minutes of listening.

Using Foobar Dynamic Range tool, I find it has a dynamic range limited to about 5db. This is extreme even for modern compressed albums, which usually have something more in the 7db-8db range. I don't like the 7db-8db compressed ones, but I can usually listen to them. Less compressed albums have DR of 9-12 db and sound modern and "punchy", but still good. Older albums (I'm talking pop/rock here, not classical) generally have DR of 10-14 db of DR.

Can't we bombard record companies and bands with complaints? Ask reviewers to make negative comments about sound quality of these albums? Why does this level of compression have to become the accepted norm? Can anything be done about this? Don't artists like Paul Simon care? Hard for me to believe he doesn't have control over the final product.

I'm very frustrated about buying music that I want to enjoy, but can't.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you write a petition, I'll sign it :)

While you're at it could you include irresponsible use of normalization as well. I find this even worse.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Got a copy of Paul Simon's "So Beautiful or So What".

Good album.

Will never listen to it again.

Why? Extreme volume compression. So much so that it literally gives me a headache after about 2 minutes of listening.

I'm very frustrated about buying music that I want to enjoy, but can't.

I'm absolutely with you here as well. It's frustrating.

That is why I got to appreciate the re-working, or remastering of an erstwhile bad sounding album. Mofi, CBS haf-speed, Nautilus, Nimbus, Classic Records, Speakers Corner, to name a few, all tried hard to cure this compression problem, among other problems in recordings. But ironically, their works are not full-proof either. Some are improvements over a bad album, but others can turn an average sounding album into a lifeless one. One thing I have learned in this world - very few things are perfect.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
firedog

There is a petition that one can sign.. Also an interesting piece on Youtube

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/c7mUKbi8CEg[/video]

This website from which,I I just downloaded the foobar Dynamic Range meter component has a petition on this issue..

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bruce Hornsby's last two albums (Levitate and Bride of the Noisemakers) are similar to So Beautiful So What, in that the music itself would benefit from less compression much more than most current "pop" music. What's especially strange about the Hornsby is that his own Website offers some free MP3's (256k VBR) which have less compression and sound better than the official CD releases.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As I type this, I'm downloading the uncompressed version of Band on the Run from HDtracks. It should be interesting to hear how it sounds. They offer it in two versions: uncompressed and compressed. Why would anyone buy the compressed version???

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As I type this, I'm downloading the uncompressed version of Band on the Run from HDtracks. It should be interesting to hear how it sounds. They offer it in two versions: uncompressed and compressed. Why would anyone buy the compressed version???

Noisy listening environments that mask soft sections. Subjectively I'd put that at noisefloors of about 65dB and up. A totally uncompressed track played in such an environment with very soft and very loud passages has me riding the volume controls. In that sense compression itself is somewhat of a godsend. Down at 40 to 45dB, 100dB peaks are plenty enough and low level information is very clear. In this case, if I had a choice I wouldn't go for the compressed version at all. I've got nothing against compression per se, what burns my butt is the way it continues to be ABUSED. I do see a glimmer of hope. As more and more people are using headphones on owned music rather than the radio in a car or tabletop the need to compete for loudness is lessening. If they realize this, there is hope for us A, B and C Audiophiles ;) ;) ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My room is so quiet you could literally hear a pin drop so that is not an issue for me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Me too. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing